Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva Val Gardena recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We finally booked a group of 6 to Pansion Daniel at Selva mid-March. I am looking for recommendations for ski rental, ski lessons, restaurants in the evening, apres ski.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are about 1 km walk from Ski Walter rental (http://www.ski-snowboard.it/en/) which is opposite the Nives drag which connects you (via Biancaneve drag and a little walk) up to Dantercepies Gondola which then gets you into the Sella Ronda .

Or you can take Nives + Biancaneve and then ski through town to Ciampanoi gondola which sends you the other way on the SR.

You can rent skis and boots and store them at Ski Walter . So could be useful if you want to stay in town for Apres / shopping / dinner etc but want to get out of ski boots.

We used https://www.scuolasci-selva.it/en/ for lessons - the meeting point is at bottom of the Biancaneve drag.
You DO need to visit one of their offices though in town to get your official ticket for the lesson - even if you think you have a confirmation when booking on line.
Italians are surprisingly officious when it comes to have the right piece of paper for everything (see ski bus tickets...)

The red ski bus should take you to ski walter... see map here http://www.val-gardena.com/download/gardena/pdf/Winter2012-13/Skibusplan_Selva_plan_201213.pdf
And bus times all on here http://www.val-gardena.com/en/_/page16.html
You need to show a ticket (€ 10 for the week) but often the hotels give you one for free. The ticket showing is a pain in the rear - no idea why they just don't make them free/ no ticket.

For Apres , we liked the Luiskeller or La Stua .

For food in town - La Bula is great (you have to book).
The restaurant in the Tyrol Hotel (we stayed here once - almost next door to Ski Walter) has two sections - a very good 4 course restaurant (with salad bar and choice of starters / mains / desserts) and a very fancy A La Carte (which we did not try with the kids as too fancy for them)

On the mountain , spoiled for choice really but Jimmys Hutte was always a favourite. http://www.jimmyhuette.com/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a poor meal in La Bula, and therefore did not go back. It may have been a one off. We went 3 times to the Pizzaria beneath the Sun Valley hotel. Despite its name it does very very good steaks and much more. Worth a go. Luiskeller was the best place we found for Europop apres.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest, unless I missed something, the food in town in Selva is not great. La Bula is ... OK, as is Sun Valley, but we preferred to spend our time and money on lunches in the baitas (huts) and have very simple dinners (i.e, pasta/sauce, grilled cheese & salad) that we made our selves, but that might not be an option if you don't have a kitchenette.

Regarding mountain huts, we have our favorites, and I won't give away the absolute best one. Very Happy However, Jimmy's is good, as is Baita di Soleil in Plan Gralba area. Also really liked a couple of the ones on the Secada; I can't remember the name but there's one to skier's left that has its own trail that has the best views and a great atmosphere. However, part of the fun in Val G. is finding the best huts...and don't forget to take a trip to Alpe di Suisi.

We've always rented skis through the ski school service in the center of town but I suspect every place is fine. It's not really a resort that rips off visitors. I've only taken one lesson but found it was fine; you can book in the same building as you rent skis. Beginners start in the Larcuiunei area then go up to Plan Gralba, I think.

Regarding the ski buses: they are not that easy to use, and the ones that stop in the center of town get jammed at peak times. Pension Daniel has great views but I can tell you right now that it won't be easy or convenient to get back there when you want. (Getting down in the mornings from Daunei isn't hard, as there's a bus that goes straight to Dantercepies/Larceiunei.), we have stayed up there a few times and finally just used our car to get around...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the recommendations. It was near impossible to find 3 rooms for 4 nights in March, most places rent for a week. We choose it because it has the bus that I guess in the morning can take us to the central gondola.

For that period, we only need a couple or places for dinner, we booked Cianel and Sum Valley, we may eat at the Pansion Daniel the other night to keep things simple.

Are there any restaurants fuether afield worth driving too one evening? A couple of years ago I was at Maso Runch and it was great, but its a little far from Selva.

Any other recommendations for Selva?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pred02, The bakery in the center of town is really good, just by the Ciampanoi lift. Also, if you haven't skied there before, (if you have,ignore this) there's an easy way to get to Ciampanoi from Dantercepies -- just go past the cable car under the bridge and follow the track to the left through the town, then walk across the street.

Another good tip is (again,ignore if you want) to go up to Saslong first thing, take two runs while the snow is good, then after your second run take the underground to Seceda and ski that area, then break for lunch. Relatively quiet areas: the runs below Col Rodella and Alpe di Suisi. The runs below Jimmy's can also be good for laps.

Final ski tip: The black chute from the top of the Piz Sella cable car is a nightmare after 1100 am. Avoid if possible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Hotel Armin (on the main road) has a separate restaurant for non-residents. Food is very good - bit dearer than others may be..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy