Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
@Sharkymark, Atk R12 is about 11mm, I fitted the ATK 4mm toe shim=7mm, also fitted a 5mm shim to the heel of my Alpinists which were 2mm so they're both the same.
The Raider Evo is 11mm and the Freeraider Evo is 7mm according to Skimo, don't know what the difference is......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The Raider Evo is 11mm

I stand corrected, and that's persuaded me to definitely add another shim so I can, well, stand corrected Very Happy

Quote:

The Raider Evo is 11mm and the Freeraider Evo is 7mm

This seems odd, as I thought the difference was just the 'stomp block' on the heel of the Freeraider. Perhaps that figure is including a shim?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked on ATK's site and the Freeraider Evo comes with a toe shim, presumably 4mm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have FR14’s and Crest’s and ski them with no shim and they are fine for me. With Shifts and especially the old Fritschi Xenic’s the delta effect was much more noticeable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shakira wrote:
Quote:

The Raider Evo is 11mm

I stand corrected, and that's persuaded me to definitely add another shim so I can, well, stand corrected Very Happy

Quote:

The Raider Evo is 11mm and the Freeraider Evo is 7mm

This seems odd, as I thought the difference was just the 'stomp block' on the heel of the Freeraider. Perhaps that figure is including a shim?

You'll need even longer screws then!

For me 7mm is perfect, most AT bindings are this or more
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You'll need even longer screws then!

Yep. I have some the right length courtesy of spyderjon, I was just being a wimp about fitting the shims in case it was too much. But I experimented on my alpine bindings and 2 or 3mm of delta seems to suit me best.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah few if any are 0 deg delta. I think the MTNs are around 5 deg ish...someone will no doubt instantly correct me! I chose them partly because they were the lowest delta at the time...and not rubbish.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Took me 9 minutes but they're 9mm Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With yesterday's snow I went out on my touring skis just for some side of piste powder as I was on my own. It reminded me how poorly fitting my boots are and it's been an expensive Saturday!

IMG-20240224-WA0004

20240224-121726
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KenX wrote:
Took me 9 minutes but they're 9mm Very Happy

Where's the face palm smilie?

That's more than I thought! When I said 5 deg I meant 5mm of ramp. Still, they feel pretty flat compared to the old dynafit radicals. Having said that, my Langes have a low cuff tilt so that mitigates it to some degree.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@swskier, very nice; tried a pair on at CEM's place and they'd make an excellent substitute for the freetours. The boa fit around the forefoot is super nice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sharkymark, yeah, Dynafits were always around 15mm ramp angle, now that's noticeable! (to most that is.......)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, I have the exact same boots, except I had to stick Zipfits in to fit my stupidly narrow ankles. Mine are also 27.5: if you fancy a spare pair of the original Atomic liners you're welcome to them for the cost of postage.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowpack is much more stable now so venturing a little steeper. Couloir was a lot of fun, although definitely a lot of wallying with first steep kick turns of the season. Definitely something to work on.

Already scouting out some first descents for when spring kicks in. Easy when nobodies skied anything remotely technical yet. Lots of fun stuff around.

We are forecast a few warmer days now, but then dropping back to cold and a forecast of 19cm of fresh snow. A bit far out yet to be too confident though, but the seasons is certainly not over, the question is wether it's going to be spring skiing or more winter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Shakira, sorry totally missed your message. Yes i'll take them off your hands. We're back in May, i'll PM you nearer the time and arrange some postage to my parents so I can bring them back!

@boarder2020, looks delightful!
snow report
@swskier, sure thing. I'll stick them in a box with your name on it.
ski holidays
About 20cm fresh snow in the last 48 hours. Not bad, certainly was worth going back up for second lap!

Nobody else skied it today. Guess they were elsewhere, village is pretty quiet right now.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
.....About 20cm fresh snow in the last 48 hours.....

So why no snow on the trees ?

Did it warm up quickly, which has been the case so often here recently, at what looks like a similar altitude judging by the tree line?

Today was all about getting the timing right and scoring Spring Snow and mission accomplished.

Dropping off the back of the resort after taking lifts up to 2,500 and then a sublime descent in a sector that nobody hardly ever skis down to the valley floor at 1,800m and then skins on for a climb back up to a lift in another part of the resort at 2,350.

And a first class Wally moment as I was listening to some music on the climb and then heard the sound get distant and fuddled, to then see my phone sliding down the slope after it slipped out of my pocket, fortunately, was only 5m or so, could have been far far worse rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-03-24 15:49; edited 4 times in total
snow report
A lot of wind and sun all day. Forecast said max of -6 today. But out the wind it felt warmer. You can see the forecast here https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-1528393/Kyrgyzstan/Issyk-Kul/Dzhergalan
If I wanted to lie about the snowfall I could pick better photos from earlier in the year where cars were burried. Nearest resort is here
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/KarakolMountainSkiBase/snow-report
They are reporting 14cm fresh, and we typically get more snow than them. Those trees are at around 2300m.

Glad to see you are still suspicious of everything I post even if every time I've proved you wrong for suggesting I'm lying. NehNeh
snow report
@boarder2020, I was being genuinely curious, hence I mentioned how it looks like similar to how it's been here, get the snow-fall and then the wind and warm temps feck the snow quite quickly this time of year.

That said if like you say a lot of wind and sun, then how come no crust Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 15-03-24 16:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I guess still to cold for a sun crust, like I said forecast was -6 max. It did feel warmer so maybe it will have developed a crust for tomorrow, we will see. Things were definitely melting a bit in the village.
ski holidays
Managed my biggest tour of the season at the weekend - 21.23km with 2159m elevation gain and loss, and over 50% of the vertical was breaking trail. Snow was still pretty good. Had 3 excellent completely untracked runs and 1 that was a bit crusty in parts and tracked but still decent.

Ticked off a new peak today. It's a pretty popular tour, but everyone always stops at the col rather than go up to the actual peak. Can see why, it's a steep bootpack up the first section, and then the ridge is a little exposed. Wide enough to make turns, but steep enough drops that you wouldn't want to fall. Not sure it was really worth the effort for an extra 100m vert or so but nice to tick it off.

Weather definitely warming up. Potentially some rain this week, but looks like snow the following two days so hopefully won't destroy the conditions too much. Up to 7 degrees forecast for next week, but nights still going down below -6 so hopefully we can get some nice sprint corn.
ski holidays
I was supposed to be doing my L1 adaptive qualification this week, however, we didn't have enough to run the course, so I kept a couple of days off to ski anyway.

The OH is off work on Tuesday also so we went for a small tour with the hund up in Hochfügen. We started at the south end of the village and walked up what is a tobogganing track but also a popular run out for off piste routes, and then carried on up to the Viertelalm Niederleger.

20240319-110202-0
20240319-110300
20240319-113428
IMG-20240319-WA0013
IMG-20240319-WA0016

And now for a beer on a terrace in a sunlounger Very Happy

20240319-133725

Stats wise, it was nothing more than a dog walk, 6km in total with 280m elevation gain. A nice trip out though, and confirmed to us both we really enjoy it, and want to do more and more of it, we just need the time!!
snow conditions
The OH's sister and fella are over here this week for a visit, so we took a trip up the same route as we did last Thursday. They're very much at the beginner stage of skiing, so they used our snowshoes and we toured.

A bit windy, and overcast, but a nice walk up again.

20240326-130634

After our picnic I was taking the skins off the skis to ski back down and accidentally dropped a cheat sheet that blew away in the wind. Luckily, it got hooked up on a bush halfway down the slope between the hairpin of the road we were about to head down to, so rather than traversing along the summer road I had a couple of nice turns in between.

20240326-141806

Hoping to get out more and more over the next month or so while we're in spring conditions, with potentially a few easy walks after work.
Need to find a few routes we can have a go at, so will try and pick the brains of some locals.
snow report
Last day of the season for me yesterday. Took horses from a nearby village up to around 2200m then toured up to a little peak at around 3250m. Nice spring skiing from the top but very slushy and lots of dodging mud patches lower down. Still managed to get just about down to the village.

Typically as I left the village today it was starting to snow, they are forecast around 20cm. But I can't complain, it's been a great season including easily my favourite day ever on snow (private snowmobile driver for the day so I could just lap a lot of fresh powder after a big storm - managed over 9000m vert for the day).

Already planning a return for next winter. Can't recommend it enough for any tourers looking to try somewhere new, there's also cheap cat ski and snowmobile ski ($100 per.person per day). I think they are doing an offer of accomodation plus all meals and guide for around $350 per day based on 4 people sharing two twin rooms. Looking at Jan and Feb with the hope of squeezing in a little Chamonix trip in march, but we will see what happens. As always happy to show snowheads around a bit if they make it out this way.
ski holidays
@boarder2020, remind me where you were/are?
snow conditions
@kitenski, Jyrgalan, kyrgyzstan
latest report
Ready for the PdG

http://youtube.com/v/-DDYc7Wn4-Y
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, only just seen that, brilliant, and I know I'd probably do the same Laughing

Some Scandi mates are pretty deft at it.

Spring ski touring has been sublime, and even gets the old man thinking he can fly Laughing

Just lovely when the snow is like that, was a pretty lush descent, and no one else / no tracks in that whole sector, and so easy to access*.

Though the ascent was a bit of a nightmare, as I went off the back after a short climb, timing the descent for the best snow, but by the time I was climbing back up the snow was really wet as the freeze was not so intense, and the skins were sodden and then one came up and it was game over, so as I was a bit nervous of the wet claggy snow sliding down I opted to boot pack up a safer, more solid snow-pack with my skin drying, hanging off my pack, then when the terrain was more mellow, tightened the skin up (which was part of the problem) and skinned back up.

http://youtube.com/v/EsPh-43m57A?si=4lXHrft0oY17qtE3

Then today was back on the bike as FL was circa 3,500m and even if it does freeze, like I mentioned the freeze is not as deep as you'd want so there's only a very minute window of decent corn.

That said didn't stop hordes of Grenoblois weekend tourers who had been out up at the Lautaret when I cycled up there.

* A better tactic with the soft snow would be to leave the van in the bottom of the valley and then go over the back and ski down to it, which I've done in the past, dropping it off across from Puy St Vincent, Chambran, the day before and cycling back.
ski holidays
Weather was a bit different yesterday!
latest report
As the old boy said, some nice corn about
snow report
But once a wally always a wally…
snow report
@BobinCH, Laughing
snow report
@BobinCH, Embarassed
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
....But once a wally always a wally…

My arms were similar a couple of weeks ago, and as for my bald pate, classic Wally.

As for your line, after that initial couple of hundred vert it then looks a bit too tracked out for my liking Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@BobinCH, very envious of such uncluttered skiing on good now.

Pack the Glacier Cream!

I’m already switching to rolling rather than sliding - back to servicing enduro bikes.....but goodness you and are getting the km in....
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

As for your line, after that initial couple of hundred vert it then looks a bit too tracked out for my liking Toofy Grin

I thought I’d done quite well to find a couple of hundred meters of untracked perfect corn considering the hundreds of people out on the PdG route snowHead
latest report
Not strictly touring as it’s too steep for skins but first Bec des Rosses for my boy

http://youtube.com/v/xgw4qAoHRTI
snow report
@BobinCH, do you do what we refer to slack-country in Verbier, in that do a 30min skin and it gets you to untracked terrain?

Here in Serre Che there is so much as no-one does it, as the pure tourers don't want to pay for a lift ticket?

Though I know elsewhere what we have would get skied, and I have almost paranoia in that sooner or later the UCPCA will cotton on and introduce slack-country to their off-piste groups here.

Anyway, what with the crappy weather and my Mother gravely ill I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
my Mother gravely ill I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that Sad

Every good line gets skied in Verbier. A lot is via bootpack rather than skins due to the terrain
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy