Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
Enjoyed the classic Rosablanche Tour for a post Xmas tune up
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX, fingers crossed Max learns his lesson!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not too sure Ullr has learnt to stay clear after his recent experiences, it is far easier to ski with mutts in wide open terrain than on narrow pistes/trails and in the forest as I found out recently.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New one for me. Ski toured up a volcano!

The Wally part was getting too close to the Fumarole and getting choked by the fumes when the wind changed direction Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/p4PyRv2kUg8
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, NICE !

I went up but bailed after 350m as was obvious snow wasn't going to do it's thing, way too much cloud around and nagging cold wind and flat light, plus with the Galibier / Lautaret sectors being so accessible and one of the few places with snow there were so many vans with groups up there, must have been 40+ snowshoers in various groups - and then loads of cars, all quite depressing, though still confident good Spring to be found off the main routes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, NICE !

Thanks but it was actually bloody cold! Not helped by my kit falling apart and needing to fiddle around with tape to keep the skins on…

Ps never lend your ski straps to your mates!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonderful sunny ski tour up the classic Col de la Chaux route to Rosablanche with Millsy and the vets club

Ski plane convention on the glacier

What a place!

Look at that beautiful transforming couloir snowHead

Balmy conditions for early Feb!

Didn’t bother with the summit

Backside of Mont Fort

Ski down was surprisingly good

http://youtube.com/v/XPB-6nh3K28

Super fast conditions round the lake was a pleasure but the James Bond trail was an ice rink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely pics@BobinCH; how are you finding your Zero G Peaks?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice @BobinCH, I've been missing the photographs lately.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz wrote:

Love ‘em snowHead

Very comfy on the up and confidence inspiring on the down. They pair beautifully with the Rise Above 88’s. Liner starting to pack out so may look at an aftermarket
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rogerdodger wrote:
Nice @BobinCH, I've been missing the photographs lately.

Sorry about that. Was busy in the Japan thread for a few days. Can’t beat la belle Suisse though snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
New steeds....

Scott Pure Tour 186 100 waist

Haven't really ripped on them yet as the snow is still a tad technical to ski and/or there's a fecking dog in the way Laughing

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:

Love ‘em snowHead

Very comfy on the up and confidence inspiring on the down. They pair beautifully with the Rise Above 88’s. Liner starting to pack out so may look at an aftermarket

Did you size the same as the regular Zero G Pro ? I can’t get in ‘em!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mishmash wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:

Love ‘em snowHead

Did you size the same as the regular Zero G Pro ? I can’t get in ‘em!!

Yep. I find them quite roomy but the big toe is shorter compared to Zero G Pro Tour

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 5-02-24 10:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not strictly ski touring as the skis were on the pack but good exercise no less and a bit of gnar to spice up a Sunday stroll

Gets a bit exposed at the top Skullie

http://youtube.com/v/VgRg1bFAdv4

Welcome to the Firebowl son snowHead
snow report
@BobinCH, great stuff indeed.

OH can lay claim to the title of Queen Wally managing to lose her transceiver out of her chest harness*, though we did hope somehow it was still in the apartment/van.

I did ski following some of the route we climbed up, and was amazed at the distance it would pick other skiers up at, not that there were too many around.

Think someone is in for a lucky find.

* Didn't do a postmortem on how it happened as I've done some stupid shite rolling eyes
snow report
@BobinCH,

Love mine too. My liners only lasted half of last season. They ski even better now that I am using Intuitions.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,

Love mine too. My liners only lasted half of last season. They ski even better now that I am using Intuitions.

May I ask which Intuition liner you got. The old ones I had in 1800g touring boots were quite substantial. Do they do a model for 1000g boots?
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
New steeds....

Scott Pure Tour 186 100 waist

Haven't really ripped on them yet as the snow is still a tad technical to ski and/or there's a fecking dog in the way Laughing

Do you get some sort of deal from Scott or just too tight to fork out for the DPS Pagoda Tour 112’s your skiing is crying out for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@zzz, mmmm I've been looking at liners as my old Salomon MTN Lab's are on the way out, though hardly surprising the amount of use they get, plus I sweat like a pig, but I was saying that I can probably get a new pair of boots for circa €100 more than I'd pay for some Intuition liners?

Which sort of answers @BobinCH, question above Laughing

Managed to get my first Spring blister yesterday rolling eyes
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,

May I ask which Intuition liner you got. The old ones I had in 1800g touring boots were quite substantial. Do they do a model for 1000g boots?

The Pro Tour. It’s obviously heavier than the original but skis vastly better.

I nicked them from my Zero G Scouts. They seem to fit fine.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, How much are Intuition liners for a pair of touring liners? Looking into them for coming back from a broken ankle.
latest report
@Christopher, take a look here to give you an idea

https://www.total-feet.com/chaussons-intuition/

Yesterday I ended up buying some Full Tilt Kit Pro Tour Liner's for €130 think the company has gone bust, but some old reviews suggested that they were a good liner and used Intuition foam, so thought worth a punt.
ski holidays
Just looking at ski pack weigh, as off to Norway in April for a 7 day tour, my Patrol E2 is 2720g empty, something like the Atomic Backland 30+ is 990g empty! That's quite a difference (obv lighter one doesn't have an airbag!)

So for "stable" days do regular tourers take out a lighter pack, or always take the airbag, "just in case"?
ski holidays
@kitenski, I never ski tour with an airbag (Alps, Scotland, Norway etc)
ski holidays
@kitenski, always go with a lighter pack unless conditions* dictate otherwise - and presume when you say 7 day tour, you mean 7 day tours as opposed to hut to hut etc

Also presume you're with a guide so they should plan for a route based on more stable conditions etc

*tomorrow for instance touring looking for cold snow, after a lot of wind, so might be prudent to take the airbag.

And, fingers crossed, my new liners, produced with Intuition Foam, after two outings seem to be very good, though had to take footbeds out and use the supplied ones.

The liners should loosen up more so might be able to use the footbeds, not that I noticed any difference without them.

Have also spent some time with a Stanley knife this morning just smoothing down the plastic surrounding the toe inserts on our boots as been having some issues lately with getting in them, though yesterday was ice in the hole me thinks, as was a lot better after a good dig with the end of the ski pole.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Just looking at ski pack weigh, as off to Norway in April for a 7 day tour, my Patrol E2 is 2720g empty, something like the Atomic Backland 30+ is 990g empty! That's quite a difference (obv lighter one doesn't have an airbag!)

So for "stable" days do regular tourers take out a lighter pack, or always take the airbag, "just in case"?

If it’s avi 1 or 2 just take the light dynafit touring pack. Once it gets to 3 usually take the airbag. The new Ortovox Litric zero is certainly a big weight advantage over my regular Mammut 35L Pro pack and means I’m more likely to take it. Did all my touring in JP with it and it was quite comfortable

Where are you going in Norway? I would also check what your guide recommends. We’re going to Svalbard in May and I doubt an avi pack is necessary.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
.....We’re going to Svalbard in May and I doubt an avi pack is necessary.....

Naaahh just a rifle Laughing

Been skiing with a mate who really excels at far-off trips, a Californian retired Paramedic / Coastguard / Fireman and he was only telling us about his Svalbard / Greenland trips a couple of days ago, plus he's done Antarctica twice, and he scored LG yesterday in pristine condition.

But did say lift line was horrendous as they're taking longer and longer to open now, and he was one of the first up as the guide he had was the one doing the commission run.

Couloir le Lac

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
.....We’re going to Svalbard in May and I doubt an avi pack is necessary.....

Naaahh just a rifle Laughing

Been skiing with a mate who really excels at far-off trips, a Californian retired Paramedic / Coastguard / Fireman and he was only telling us about his Svalbard / Greenland trips a couple of days ago, plus he's done Antarctica twice,

So what did he say? I’m pretty excited about this one snowHead
ski holidays
@Weathercam, @BobinCH, off to Lofoten with @offpisteskiing, he's taking both an avi bag and a light weight one. It's a series of day tours, not hut to hut, first day touring will be Wed 10th April until Mon 15th then fly back Tues 16th.

I see the Litric zero is total 1,970 grams weight which would be (I guess) noticeably less than my E2 at 2,720g.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@Weathercam, @BobinCH, off to Lofoten with @offpisteskiing, he's taking both an avi bag and a light weight one. It's a series of day tours, not hut to hut, first day touring will be Wed 10th April until Mon 15th then fly back Tues 16th.

I see the Litric zero is total 1,970 grams weight which would be (I guess) noticeably less than my E2 at 2,720g.

Send him first and you should be fine. Don’t they say 90% of avis are triggered by the first skier?
ski holidays
@kitenski, I have the atomic backland 30L bag. I've only done 1 week of touring, back in last March for my Mountain Safety, but the bag was good. As you say, light, plenty of space. I have also used it in the summer hiking.

Just need to actually get out touring here and put it to more use!

Yesterday I skied briefly on piste on my Scott Superguide 95s in my touring boots, and it's noticeable how big the boots are on me, really must get round to buying a new pair that actually fit and then flog my Nordica's!
snow report
@BobinCH, can you use the helmet attachment on the Litric Zero when you have skis attached?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, a number of mates have been there, in fact I'm probably the only one who hasn't rolling eyes as we all know the guide well who arranges it, and it's a pretty special trip on all accounts.

And another good friend who I've done a number of tours with, along with me showing her and her partner around here staying with us etc has landed the Head of Tourism job in Svalbard !!!

I said I'd let her settle in first Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Always take the airbag. I don't actually have an alternative specific ski bag, so don't really have the option. Guess I could take out the cannister, but doesn't seem worth the hassle. 1kg is not enough to worry about for me and I'd rather have it "just in case". Some is just about getting into good habits too. A couple of times I've actually forgot to arm the trigger (risk was very very low so wasnt a huge issue). So now I've got into the routine of arming it.
ski holidays
Quote:

o for "stable" days do regular tourers take out a lighter pack, or always take the airbag, "just in case"?

Since I've got the avi bag I always take it. Felt like good habit and I've not been doing massive days where the extra 1.5kg might make a material difference.
snow report
@boarder2020, 95% of the time, unless you've totally mis-read the forecast, have no idea what the actual time of day is, when Spring ski touring you don't need an air-bag, if you stick to mellow slopes I could say you actually don't need any gear, but you never know what you might come across.

Just out of interest where do you carry your crampons, which as you don't actually ski but board, I know are quite substantial and for most AirBags they would probably take up most of the room?

That's why come Spring and we've had those conditions recently, carrying crampons etc ties in nicely with not touring with the AirBag. Plus you tend to be down to one layer so a pack can get pretty full in the Spring as you disrobe, plus I carry more liquid as well!

Many carry their ski couteaux on the outside in bag but I'm not a great fan of things flapping around, but for sure faster and easier to fit when you need them, my OH refers to them as stabilisers though I try to climb a route without needing them but sometimes luck of the draw etc
snow report
@Weathercam, to be honest I've never done any off piste where I've thought "I'm glad I have the airbag". I'm very conservative to the point you could argue if it's even worth me having one. As I've said before my view is if I ever have to pull it I've massively screwed up.

At the minute I'm testing out some new areas (at least to me - perhaps they have been skied before) in kyrgyzstan. So no avalanche forecasting and while I have photos and/or maps there is perhaps a greater risk of coming across something a bit more unexpected than the standard tours with plenty of online info available. So nice to have the backup.

Ski crampons or boot crampons depending on route, never found a route where both was necessary (although I'm sure they exist). I find there's enough room for crampons in there, but I tend to pack quite light. Guess I'm fortunate that I run pretty warm so spring often just set out in base layer and ski trousers, with a light down jacket in the bag. If it's a bit colder I'll have the down jacket on to start with.

In terms of some alternative wallying, I take your ebike approachs and raise you a horse Laughing 5km with about 700m climbing saved the other day, plus it goes through deep snow no problem. Not the most comfy, but what a great tool for the approach. Ended up with a very nice 1100m descent all the way down to the village (we could have actually climbed on a bit further adding another 200m vert to a little peak but time was against us so dropped in off the ridge).
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
I take your ebike approachs and raise you a horse Laughing 5km with about 700m climbing saved the other day,

How does the horse find its way back to the village? Laughing
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
I take your ebike approachs and raise you a horse Laughing 5km with about 700m climbing saved the other day,

How does the horse find its way back to the village? Laughing

I'm sure there are plenty of jokes to be made. But the boring answer is the guy who's horses they are rode out with us and then leads them back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy