Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
The ATK C-Raider, Raider & Raider Evo's are all superb but you must mount them with the optional Freeride Spacer Kit as that greatly improves power transmission, especially on skis 95mm+ in width.

@under a new name, for your height/weight the C-Raider (315g) with the Freeride Spacer Kit (29g) would be spot on. And you can easily removed with brakes if that's what you prefer (and install the spacer to fill the brake void to stop it icing up etc) and save 40g per binding.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@spyderjon, thanks for the rec. I’m not sure I’m allowed any purchases in the immediate future thiugh haha!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, well I am told I need a goid season out of the current rig first Shocked

Life’s too short for negative thoughts like that!

He says having just pulled the trigger on a couple of pairs of new DPS bananas Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, in the sale?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swskier wrote:
@BobinCH, in the sale?

50% off the Pagodas due to the new Kaizen range. Haven’t had a pair of 112 RP’s for a while but they are the classic DPS all mountain ski
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
swskier wrote:
@BobinCH, in the sale?

50% off the Pagodas due to the new Kaizen range. Haven’t had a pair of 112 RP’s for a while but they are the classic DPS all mountain ski

Nice deal!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, Wailer112 is my favourite ski of all time!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DPS just kicked off their ski trade-in scheme, where you get money off new ones, and they renovate and then resell your old ones.

https://www.dpsrevive.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PowderAdict wrote:
DPS just kicked off their ski trade-in scheme, where you get money off new ones, and they renovate and then resell your old ones.

https://www.dpsrevive.com/

I read about this. Only available in the US and you get a max of $500 credit for new skis down to $100 for « poor » condition skis which basically get serviced and resold on geatrade for $800-900 for the « excellent » condition ones. Surely you’d get more for them getting any shop to service them and sell 2nd hand?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any recommendations for touring boot liners ? (make & model)
Have used intuition in the past.

@BobinCH - how have your Sidas liners worked / held out?

Possibilities ....
https://www.sport-conrad.com/produkte/sidas/thermo-crt-slim.html
https://www.sport-conrad.com/produkte/scarpa/pro-flex-touring-sc.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:

@BobinCH - how have your Sidas liners worked / held out?

Pretty good I’d say. Have them in the Zero-G Tour Pros which are my most comfortable boots and get used with the DPS Pagoda Tour 112’s. Very comfortable and seem to be hard wearing - no obvious wear after circa 50 days use?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://archive.ph/PvULB

Not sure if this has been posted on here or not....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swskier wrote:
https://archive.ph/PvULB

Not sure if this has been posted on here or not....

I don't really get it. Good for them for setting up a business (rentals and guiding), and I'm sure the locals appreciate some extra tourism too. However it's not really a "resort", and I'm struggling to see the USP of why someone would go there.

The article mentions bluebird backcountry in Colorado (which is now closed due to not being profitable). The concept is similar but there's one huge difference. Bluebird did avy control. So it appealed to people who enjoy touring but dont have partners and/or want to deal with decision making/planning related to avy risk.

At homeland you are talking €165 per day for all kit rental and a guide. By the time you add on the food and accomodation they are way more expensive than UCPA splitboard offerings, which also include a lift pass. So they are hardly some super cheap option either.

I suspect there are enough daytrippers/weekend visits from Milan for them to make a business out of it. I don't see the appeal as a destination "resort".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Ski touring can often be prohibitively expensive "

Que?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This was not really a Wally tour but a nice adventure, and what a bonus to be able to ski high alpine lines in November!
latest report
Bosh. Mont Géle?
ski holidays
A slap on the wrist for thread drift though Laughing
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
A slap on the wrist for thread drift though Laughing

It was a ski tour!

View down onto Attelas
snow conditions

those Bananas get everywhere Eh oh! @BobinCH,
snow conditions
Finally found a good use for a piste

Before some rad alpinism

And windblown couloirs

Pretty
ski holidays
@BobinCH you're vindicated. I would say you're on thin ice but from those pics, you're clearly not.
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
@BobinCH you're vindicated. I would say you're on thin ice but from those pics, you're clearly not.

Well thank you…

No ice but some pretty chunky frozen avalanche debris at the bottom which made for a wild ride on the touring skis snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/lum7OZdvCFU
ski holidays
Had to take the touring gear to walk the dog up the beginner piste the snow was so deep!

http://youtube.com/v/lCiYvC8Nuv0
snow report
Article in the FT today about Switzerland's Urner Haute Route.

https://www.ft.com/content/461692d3-658d-4854-9e80-767c5bd47acb

Or try the link from here which worked for me. https://twitter.com/ftworldnews/status/1730494921797193880
snow report
swskier wrote:
@HammondR, they are the Plum guide, so I'll see how they feel when I get them strapped on!

Going back to this. I skied the touring skis on piste the other week up in Hintertux. Couldn't feel any difference, so perhaps I have little sensitivity down there for delta angles! Laughing

I already knew my touring boots are a size too big for me, what I hadn't noticed previously is just how much less control I have as a result. So, at some point this season, i'll be buying a new pair of touring boots that actually fit!

Binding wise, no issues with the Scott Superguides with the Plum bindings, I can easily adjust those, the Volkl Revolt's with the shifts, I'm not sure, and haven't had a look at. Perhaps I should contact @spyderjon who mounted them!
ski holidays
@swskier, you looked at a hybrid boot at all?
ski holidays
@kitenski, meticulously timed. Just picked up these badgers from the boot fitmaster general himself, CEM. The walk mode is game changing. Skiing to find out soon…

snow report
@kitenski, haven't looked at anything, but currently own a pair of Nordica STRider 120s that are a few seasons old, but they have had very little use at all.

https://foerg.de/products/strider-120-dyn-350170?currency=EUR&variant=41272132468902&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&stkn=f6c765bb20ae&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OqrBhD9ARIsAK3UXh0HuvxF5nL10phhuCC6zgDs7ZJRaetk2BVNG506BFzavH4QD-J_cQYaApJXEALw_wcB

Wouldn't use them as my normal piste boot though as I ski in a pair of race boots, so they'd very much be the pair I only wear if I'm skiing the Scott Superguides or the Volkl Revolts, whether that's touring or just lift served powder days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wally Alert

Went up on the E-Mtb to see what the snow's like on the South side and if there was Spring snow to be had, as even though we have some pretty intense sunshine and higher temps in the valley, this time of year actual transformation, if at all is obviously totally different to Spring, plus didn't know what the strong winds had done to the snow-pack?

Was good to go up anyway as now I know how far to go, and what time to leave, to allow for a 90/120min skin eventually, and what condition the trail is in and more importantly what the melt is like and how that affects the descent on the bike!

I was all rather optimistic, until half way up I had a light bulb moment, in that I realised I'd forgotten my skins Laughing

Trouble is with the bike, it's more gear & faff, but that is a first.
latest report
@Weathercam, commiserations! Can I have your ebike when you move into the OAP home?
snow report
Been on the powder touring rig last couple of days. Got to say the DPS Pagoda Tour / ATK FR / Zero G setup is so damn good
snow conditions
Just mounted ATK Raider 12's with toe shims and freeride spacers on my DPS Wailers after the 5 year-old Alpinists shat themselves, I repaired them but have put them on an old pair of powder skis to use locally just in case.......
But the R12 is an awesome binding, way easier to step into than the Alpinist, has brakes and 3 riser positions and only around 30g heavier than the Alpinists with leashes, beautifully made and no known issues that I can see!
Just need some snow now......... Sad
snow conditions
BTW, used 108mm brakes with a slight tweak on the 112mm skis
snow conditions
Better sortie today Laughing

Nice little tree to lock the bike up

Quick 650m climb to Gardiole, which is about 300m above the Col du Granon, and no-one around.

Then a whole mixture of snow; some sweet and some technical and challenging.

This was not pleasant.

But he wasn't complaining Very Happy

ski holidays
Great pic of Ullr!!!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, this is the sort of scenes i'm aspiring to with our Hund in the future!

A very kind snowHead dropped round 2 pairs of Scott Cosmo boots to try tonight, 27.5 and a 28, so i'll give them a whirl soon. 633g lighter per boot than my Nordica's, so i'll notice the difference massively I suspect.

First touring outing for me will be this weekend on Christmas Eve, and you can barely even call it a tour. I'll just be taking the dog from the top of the Gondola along a summer road to the restaurant the other half works in to spend the afternoon there getting in the festive spirit!

Just shy of 2km and 160m incline.

This is the route on google maps:

And you can see the road/route in this picture taken from the outside of the Hütte:

Looking forward to it though, and it'll be a nice easy intro for the dog again, having done a couple of similar walks in Val D/Tignes last Christmas.
snow conditions
Little video of yesterday's sortie featuring "my" rapid skin transition though not as fast as Ski-Mo ones Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Inb6TLKveCM?si=ckXyx__PbU0_CTUf
snow report
First tour of the season for us today.

Just a little loop in Hintertux with Mrs Swskier and the hund up to the Bichlalm Hütte for some lunch.

It was going well, until 20 metres before the car park, the hund decided to run between my legs and is now sporting some rather dodgy looking cuts on the paw/leg.

Trip to the vets potentially pending later in the week.... Shocked
snow report
And the vets this evening told us we won the "coveted" prize of the first injury to open the ski season! Laughing

Some stitches for the hund, no particularly damage to tendons or ligaments. One tiny tendon cut, but it's not an important one apparently, and has been stitched back up.

Very surprised at the cost, much cheaper than we were anticipating.
snow conditions
On Suki's first ever outing, she thought skis were something to play with and kept jumping on/around them, 100m into the descent I felt a clunk under the back of my skis and she left a blood trail down for 1km, trip to vet, stitches........
I asked the vet if they learn from this, she said it's quite common and shouldn't happen again, which so far it hasn't
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy