Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney- have I just wasted £310- off piste ban

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked half term with the kids to Turin and then just realised that there was some off pist ban thing going on last time we did Italy(Arabba about 7 years ago)

A wee Google seems to suggest that Avi kit might be mandatory but apart from that I've not found anything definitive.

Can anyone clarify for me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes for the upper funifor to Indren you need to have the holy trinity with you and they check.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not mandatory for the Aosta valley unless things have changed for this season but once you drop into Alagna you are in a different region (Piemont) where the avy kit rule applies.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, got to have kit, but no outright ban.....
I seem to recall that offpiste full stop was banned in some places, even with the kit. But that's not the case is Gressoney- then...?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This January there was no ban. I had full kit and went with a mountain guide though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just slide off into the trees or rocks when noone is looking wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No offence but if you are planning to do proper off-piste from Punta Indren you should really have the full avi kit anyway. No one is daft enough to build a great lift specifically for off-piste and then ban going off-piste. They just want you to be prepared, hence the mandatory gear and frequent checks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GnarliBuG is based in Gressoney and there are only two of us that have opted to stick to the piste. Your money is safe. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cheburator,
Quote:

No one is daft enough to build a great lift specifically for off-piste and then ban going off-piste
No, but they are daft enough to build a lift with bins which are too tight for most off-piste skis! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep thanks all. Agree that having kit is good. Got Pieps for all of us but no shovels or probes for the kids. Can buy them no problem. Bit pointless but no problem.

Now to find a guide.

Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
@cheburator,
Quote:

No one is daft enough to build a great lift specifically for off-piste and then ban going off-piste
No, but they are daft enough to build a lift with bins which are too tight for most off-piste skis! rolling eyes

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Yep thanks all. Agree that having kit is good. Got Pieps for all of us but no shovels or probes for the kids. Can buy them no problem. Bit pointless but no problem.
I'm afraid I rather disagree with you here.
IMHO, if they are old enough to be going off piste (other than cutting the corners of blue runs etc) then they are old enough to learn about transceiver search and digging.
Firstly, you don't need to put the fear of snow into them to have fun doing transceiver searches - especially if you hide chocolate with the beep Wink
Using a shovel magically seems much easier with the sense that you are digging for treasure (ie sweets.)

The thing is, you may look at them and say "well they're only however old, how far could they really dig?" but once avalanche debris settles, it can set quite hard and you could be barely 6 or 8 inches under the surface, unable to move and slowly suffocating. In this case, as tough as it is to think of them having to do it, they'd probably be quite capable of digging far enough to give you room to breathe. But they're only going to be able to if they've normalised the process via practice/play.

And besides, the sooner they start with the safety thing, the better ingrained it will be in their attitudes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Indeed, get them a whistle and the shovels may be used by others to get you out. Dreadful to think of that scenario, but it’s a potential.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Arraba 6 years ago there was a very rare weather event that dumped 4m of snow in a few days: they banned all offpiste for a few days and limited access for a week. That maybe the time you were thinking.

Punta Indren is very much high mountain territory and avalanches are just one of the potential hazards.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TheGeneralist wrote:

Now to find a guide.

Cheers

Which pieps. The one that only transmits or the search and transmit.

The first is cheap but no use if the search person is buried.
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, picture this.
There's been a slide.
You can't find a child.
And now you have no chance of finding it.
Now I don't like children but that's gotta feel pretty terrible.

I have dug out full burials 20m from the Salati piste.

Anyway...
There has been 120 cms since Thursday and snowing heavily again today with another 100 forecast later this week.
Blue bird yesterday, didn't see anyone without full avi kit out yesterday, just the committed, as the lifts don't open till the weekend.

It is on

SNOOOOWVEMBER........
snow conditions
Steezy....
Quote:

@TheGeneralist, picture this.
There's been a slide.
You can't find a child.
And now you have no chance of finding it.

Eh. What are you talking about here?
snow report
@TheGeneralist, some people don't read before they post Sad
snow report
Quote:

Which pieps. The one that only transmits or the search and transmit

Didn't even know they did a transmit only one. Thought that poo-poo was reserved for lowlife like Cambridge##&&-.

Ours are actually BCA Trackers. I just used the term Pieps in the same way people refer to Hoovers Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy