Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swapping from board to planks!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all new on here and i am looking for some advice.. i have always boarded from early 20's (45 now) until about 5 years ago when i have had a break form winter sports but now desperatly would like to get back involved.
My dilemma is that both my boys (16 & 14 ) have been skiing since knee high and are pretty good and fearless !! My wife has also been skiing since knee high and i am a the weakest link Sad

So my question is where can i go for a week on my own to spend in ski school so that we can have a family holiday later in the season? Thinking January as hopefully snow will be in abundance !

TIA

Nick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val D'Isere has some fantastic Ski Schools and Instructors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
where can i go for a week on my own to spend in ski school..

Hemel Hempstead snow dome. Nice chunky chips. snowHead

Welcome to snowheads
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or what @Old Fartbag just said.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nickh413, no reason why you can't continue to board. you can all board/ski together! I've only ever skied, but would be quite happy to ski round with a boarder.
If you want to try skiing then why not have a ski lesson in the UK and see what you think? Then if you want to ski, i'd recommend finding a resort that has single rooms available for your chosen dates, then find flights to fit. Take ski school in resort, means you get tuition and also meet others.

I always do solo ski holidays, mostly Austria, good English speaking ski schools - easy transfers, can easily use public transport.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agreed, just decided that as much as I enjoy boarding I am as not as nimble ! Have done a week in ski school in Obergergul but that was the first time and 5 years ago. So was thinking of starting all over !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, if your missus and kids are competent skiers, you joining them as a relative novice skier is going to slow them down much more than as a snowboarder.
I went through a similar thing myself when my kids were learning - should I learn to ski so I could help out more? But they picked up so quickly they would have been able to outpace me and what use would I have been to them being Bambi-on-ice on a set of skis when I'm much more at home on a board.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nickh413, no excuse needed for seeing the light! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you ever skied before? Your post suggests not. While you will undoubtably progress faster than the average adult beginner by being a snowboarder you will still be a long way behind them. So why bother. There are reasons for boarders to take up skiing and vice versa but to do the same thing as competent family on annual holdiays is not really one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a rapid switch-over, but if you're not able to snowboard as quick as skiers then you'd really just be taking a big step back before trying to progress again. Maybe just work on your speed as a boarder?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you live near a snow dome these are great places to progress from beginner to intermediate.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nickh413 wrote:

So my question is where can i go for a week on my own to spend in ski school so that we can have a family holiday later in the season? Thinking January as hopefully snow will be in abundance !

I found Folgarida/Italy was a very nice resort for someone learning but plenty scope for progression in more challenging pistes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thinking ahead... If you're fully committed to learning to ski as fast as possible, and your week in ski school and family holiday go well, I would suggest you consider booking on to courses like the Snoworks All Terrain, or Warren Smith Ski Academy as soon as you're good enough to qualify for them (they don't take total beginners). They'll keep your learning curve nice and steep, and give you the opportunity to catch up with your wife and kids asap.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Maybe just work on your speed as a boarder?

This! Show the wee'uns the one true edge is the path to heroic shredding and they will soon follow!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy