Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck/Tirol for one last day without skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We'll skiing be in Ischgl for a few days during Christmas week and then back to Innsbruck with a rented car.
I need your recommendations what to do in the last day after breakfast . Nothing physically challenging like snowshoe walking, 2 of the pack are with dodged knees.
For walking the streets/shopping and Christmas market, I planned to reach Innsbruck around 14. (I'm hoping 6 hours should be enough for that part). If I won't use that first half day wisely, I'll be forced to arrive to the shops earlier, much earlier than one can tolerate (and after all those years of being married, I have a high treshold) Laughing
We can go to the Silvretta Center sauna and pool in Ischgl, or on our way back we can stop in Langenfeld but that would be too short.
I am willing to go anywhere in the area for something fun. I would love taking them to Serfauss or to St. Anton/Lech for example, to show them around, but other than an expensive brunch at Krone Shocked what can we do?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's about 1.5hr from Ischgl to Innsbruck in the car.

There's all the usual touristy type places like Swarovski world (essentially a very sparkly art gallery, think Dali, if you like that sort of thing) or the castle or city art gallery.

Depending on where the snow line is, there are probably some nice huts you can walk to without snowshoes, but you'll have to check that on the day. Umbrüggler Alm is very nice, but may be slightly too high (It's 30min walk up hill from Hungerburg station in summer). You can take the lifts up to Hungerburg/Seegrube/Haflekar (Nordkette) as a pedestrian to get lunch at one of the huts there, but it's only worth it on a clear day really.

If the markets are still going, the one in Bergisel by the ski jump is very nice – smaller and quieter than the city centre ones. There is also a panorama walk in the forest around the base of the ski jump. Again, this would depend on the snow line, but if it's accessible, it's a very easy path with a nice view that would probably take around an hour.

The paths around the city and along the rivers are kept clear of snow, so you should be able to access these areas at least.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drporat, if I've understood this correctly, you are looking for something to do between leaving Ischgl in the morning and arriving in Innsbruck mid-afternoon? By the way which date are you looking at? Most of the christmas markets in Innsbruck close on 22/23rd Dec: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/customs-and-events/highlights/advent-and-christmas/christmas-markets.html

The Aquadome spa in Langenfeld is great, but you're right it would be a pretty short visit if you want to get to IBK by 2pm. In Ötztal, maybe the James Bond museum in Sölden?

As @Scarlet said, Swarovski Crystal Worlds would be one option. Nearby you could also check out Hall and the world's first coin minting machine (or something like that; I've never been!).

Not sure if there's anything around/on Achensee (the lake) to do in winter, and it would be around another hour drive the other side of Innsbruck.

Closer to/in Innsbruck there's also the Ambras Castle (https://www.innsbruck.info/en/sightseeing/sightseeing/historical-buildings/detail/infrastruktur/ambras-castle-innsbruck-innsbruck.html), and as @Scarlet said the Bergisel ski jump and on-site Tirol Panorama Museum (https://www.innsbruck.info/en/sightseeing/sightseeing/museums/detail/infrastruktur/tirol-panorama-museum-with-imperial-infantry-museum-innsbruck.html).

BTW if you end up doing a couple of those things, like Swarovski and going up the Nordkette lifts, you'd save money by getting the Innsbruck Card: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/sightseeing/innsbruck-card.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Appreciate the input, @Scarlet and @clarky999.
We are speaking of Thursday December 26. So basically one small Christmas market in Innsbruck, and nothing anywhere else.
We've been to Swarovski in Wattens in the summer a few years ago, my younger son and me ached less the first time on Trolles in Tignes. My wife and daughter thought otherwise, for some reason... NehNeh
I imagine that after skiing in Ischgl, the Nordkette lift and mountain views won't interest my family, let's hope we'll have clear weather. I am a huge admirer of Zaha Hadid so the Bergisel ski jump and the panorama walk in the forest would definitely be a thing.
I was hoping we can find something interesting on the way back, it seems that we should arrive earlier to Innsbruck and in the worst case scenario (rain like 2 years ago) go get hyperglycemic at Lindt in the center wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@drporat, maybe I minsunderstood what you're looking for - from your first post it sounded a bit like a group of wrinklies who can't walk anymore wink

How about e-motocross, or digger and 'ziesel' driving? https://www.arena-x.at/ziesel-fahren-im-ziesel-park/

There's also go-karting, lazer tag, escape room type stuff around if that's of interest?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, that looks interesting! Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy