Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight Ski Train to Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a long post, or if it's in the wrong place. Bit of a newbie here, I did post once before a couple of years ago, but not a regular visitor, so hope I'm not getting the etiquette wrong.

I'm in the middle of arranging my 6th annual ski trip, and have booked the overnight ski train from Ashford on 11/01. £30 saved over flying to Lyon, when you take into account hold luggage and ski carriage. But much more important, 8 days to ski instead of 6. Not actually booked the accomodation yet, but think I'll be staying at Les Menuires.

Has anyone done this trip before? Do I need to pre book the bus from Moûtiers station or will I get the same price if I just get the first bus I can? I'm travelling on my own, so don't want to fork out for a private taxi on my own, but I hope to get chatting with people on the train, and find some others that might be interested in sharing a taxi.

Also, where will be the best place to get breakfast? The train gets in at 05.32, and the luggage storage place I found, opens at 08.00. so I'll have 2 & half hours to get from train to resort, but will likely be hungry. Do I go straight to resort, or find somewhere near the train station. I'll have suitcase as well as skis & boots to cart around, so can't go too far very easily.

Any tips for what to do, where to eat while I'm there. I'm on a budget so no michelin starred restaurants for me, but I'm a fussy eater anyway, so probably wouldn't enjoy it.

I will be skiing all 8 days, but can't decide what ski pass to get. Was thinking of just getting a local pass for the two saturdays, so I will be close enough to the accomodation to be able to check in and out when whoever I need to meet with the keys is about, the get a six day 3 valley pass for the rest of the week, but how big is the Menuires/St Martin area and how easy is it for me to foul up and ski down to the wrong area? I'd save about 50EUR doing this, which is better in my pocket, but not a vast sum of money. What would you suggest?

I'm thinking of getting some lessons while there. Anyone know what the prices of these are like? I did a week in Bansko three years in a row, and had lessons each day then, and would consider myself an intermediate. But can't really do any carving yet, so want to work on that. would a couple of hours of private lessons, on a couple of days be expensive?

Thanks for taking the time to read. All replies appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be there a week after and here's a doc I put together outlining ski school prices for private lessons.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cvXwM4w-SWA3cnn_cbJwjkfvFp4el9xlSjg9s1adecA/edit?usp=sharing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@RedRob, there will be plenty of people getting off the train in Moutiers, but many will be with TOs so have transfers arranged, and be going to around 7 different resorts. No idea if it is possible to blag a spare space on a transfer coach - many are small groups so will only use minibuses. If you have to wait fo the first scheduled bus there will be a few places open for food. I don't think you get a discount for booking the bus in advance, but it should guarantee you a seat. (The downside might be if the train arrives really late for some reason, which is rare, or if you cancel your trip).

Not sure what accommodation you are looking for. If you are planning to eat out all week it will be expensive, so if self-catering perhaps take some protein and top it up locally with pasta, veg etc.

For ski pass it depends on how adventurous you are, whether you can easily read the piste map, etc. If taking lessons, first check with the ski school which pass you need for those. If you prefer to practice in the afternoon on the same slopes as in the lessons a local pass might be sufficient.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might be worth checking Sunweb for accom and lift pass prices.

Not going to be cheap as you are staying on your own, but probably still cheaper than booking them separately.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RedRob, The Les Menuires local ski pass on Saturdays has a 50% online only discount so your local pass idea for the Saturdays could be good. The Les Menuires/St Martin area is fairly substantial and well signposted so you should find your way back without too much difficulty.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why les menuires? If you are getting the train you could look at all resorts with easy transfers.
As a single you may get really good value in a last minute spot in a chalet with room and board. Likely to be the lowest cost. We went with ski Amis last year and one of their chalets in la Tania only had about 1/3 occupants that week last year. Bargains for late bookings.
And they do snow train transfers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucywuk wrote:
Why les menuires? If you are getting the train you could look at all resorts with easy transfers.
As a single you may get really good value in a last minute spot in a chalet with room and board. Likely to be the lowest cost. We went with ski Amis last year and one of their chalets in la Tania only had about 1/3 occupants that week last year. Bargains for late bookings.
And they do snow train transfers

He already booked the train
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@abc, Moutiers is the nearest station to La Tania as well, just a different bus.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, right. I should have read the whole original post before replying Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Moutiers is the best station for the whole of the Trois Valleys, and if cost is important then le PRAZ and La Tania are your best value for money options.

At the station there is a nice cafe, Les trois vallees. I’ve googled and it opens at 6am we had a good coffee there. I found the station better than bourg.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You only get extra skiing time as you set off earlier and leave later. Both are possible when flying too Smile

Last time I checked Le Tunnel was not a wormhole NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies.

Good to know I will be able to get the bus on the day for the same rate. I'd prefer to do that, just in case the train runs late, or if I do find someone to share a taxi with.

Why Les Menuires? Seems to be the best value from what I have seen. But if I find something in Val Thorens, Meribel, Courchevel or La Tania, they are not off the table. I do want to do the three valleys though. Did Tignes/Val d'isere last season.

I'm not totally against the idea of waiting until late to book accommodation, but some of the apartments I have seen, with ski in/out are less than £250 for the week, which seems pretty good.

Thanks for the tuition prices. Think if I go for this, it will just be a couple of hours to give me some guidance on carving, that I can practice on my own.

Does sound like just the local pass is an option for the first & last days. Though I do like to ski as much of the mountain as possible, so part of me thinks with Saturdays being quietest, maybe I should just get the 8 day full area pass. Don't have to decide yet though, there doesn't seem to be a discount for buying early.

I'd like to know of the flight that leaves the UK early enough that I can still get a transfer and be in resort, skiing by 09.00 Saturday, without taking the Friday off work, and booking 8 nights of accommodation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While you can stop at Moutiers on way out, i think you have to board at Bourg for return? For passport checks etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

While you can stop at Moutiers on way out, i think you have to board at Bourg for return? For passport checks etc

It’s only Aime le plagne you can’t board st. You can at moutiers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Take the altibus from Moutiers to Menuires. It is E12.50 one-way or E23 return. On 11/1 the first bus is @ 0630. on 12/1 0730.
Pre-book https://www.altibus.com/
When in the station follow the signs to the bus station which if memory serves you turn left after you are in the station building and keep going and the bus stop is straight ahead. So it’s is part of the train station complex. There is a little place to get a coffee and you can wait inside until the bus is due to go. There is a ticket office but will not be open that early. You cannot buy a ticket on the bus,
The bus stops as you enter Menuires. It then proceeds on to Val Thorens.
So overnight Eurostar on Friday evening. Bus fromMoutiers at 0630. Up in Menuires by 0730. On way back. Last bus to Moutiers on Sat. Get supper and take the late Eurostar back to Ashford. Arrive Sunday early. 8 days skiing. Used this system to Bourg or Moutiers a number of times. Quite tiring if you cannot get to sleep on the train.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 17-11-19 21:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Maybe worth a look at Ho36 hostel in les menuires for meeting people. I have not stayed in it but have booked a week for new year as A it's cheap and B easy to meet people.
latest report
@Mark1863, I'm eavesdropping on this thread as I'm making the same journey, Altibus was very helpful advice! The public bus doesn't leave until the afternoon so I thought I'd be stuck in Moutiers. Thanks for the tip.
ski holidays
Thanks @Mark1863 That I can't buy a ticket at 06.30 is probably important information. Guess I'm back to pre booking after all.

@WASHOUT don't think a hostel is for me I'm afraid. I don't want to share a bedroom, let alone sleep in a dorm.
ski holidays
@RedRob, check out Airbnb in Moutiers, we booked an extremely inexpensive place very close to the train station, as some friends wanted to take the day trains on Friday. The place we chose had 2 spare bedrooms in a nice family home.
latest report
@diaphon, I've been looking on hometogo.co.uk, which searches airbnb among others.
latest report
Sorry about mistakes. Have edited my post. Think you got meaning anyway, Basic facts correct. It is a good cheap way to transfer up to the resorts. Taxi is about E80 each way from Moutiers to 3V or from Bourg up to Val/Tignes.
Also for anyone looking for reasonable airport transfers look at https://alpybus.com/
Using them for first time end of Dec.
latest report
Mark1863 wrote:
Take the altibus from Moutiers to Menuires. ... When in the station follow the signs to the bus station which if memory serves you turn left after you are in the station building and keep going and the bus stop is straight ahead. So it’s is part of the train station complex. ...

If you enter the station buildings from the platforms the bus station is at the right-hand end, not the left. But if you are in the rear half of the train at Moutiers (front half at St Pancras / Ashford), you can sometimes emerge straight into the bus station from the platform rather than go via the station building.
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:
Take the altibus from Moutiers to Menuires. ... When in the station follow the signs to the bus station which if memory serves you turn left after you are in the station building and keep going and the bus stop is straight ahead. So it’s is part of the train station complex. ...

If you enter the station buildings from the platforms the bus station is at the right-hand end, not the left. But if you are in the rear half of the train at Moutiers (front half at St Pancras / Ashford), you can sometimes emerge straight into the bus station from the platform rather than go via the station building.

Thanks for the correction. Memory not what it was.
snow report
Great to see someone else taking the train as well. I'm travelling twice to the Tarentaise by train this winter, once to Bourg (for Les Arcs) and once to Moutiers (for Courchevel). This year I'm travelling during the day via Paris, but I've done the overnight train before and Moutiers for L3V can be a PITA when you arrive so early (on the plus side you get more time for your final ski day on the second Saturday).

The (relatively) new L3V cafe is just opposite the station and is a good option. You might be able to persuade one of the other mini-buses to give you a lift, but most will be to chalets in Meribel, La Tania and Courchevel rather than LEM. Of which, I think Les Menuires offers the best value in L3V, taking into account resort altitude, quick access to snow and range of affordable accommodation.

re the lift tickets, I'd stick to the valley pass for the first and last days. (BTW while it is possible to ski first/last day when flying you'll never get the same amount of time on the slopes as when travelling by train).

FWIW for anyone else interested in travelling by train, this is a campaign I set up in September - www.skiflightfree.org - it's not exhaustive, but there is some useful info on here about how and why to travel by train.
snow report
@iainm, that is a fantastic website! Skiing by train is just a far nicer experience all around, even though Eurostar keeps trying to downgrade it into an airline experience. Nice work on your campaign.
snow conditions
Thanks for your support @diaphon
latest report
Hi,

Just thought I would drop in an update on this, in case anyone is interested.

I was hoping to be coming here in a week saying how great the train was, how quiet the slopes were on the Saturdays, and reccomending everyone does this. But two things happened to scupper this.

First, I hurt my back over Christmas, changing a wheel on my car. Still not right so I was questioning how wise it would be to ski, and how much fun I would have. I know you need to keep moving and exercise your back, but it was what happens when I fall. Probably more likely to fall if my movement is restricted.

Then on Monday this week, I had an email from Eurostar to say:

"Due to ongoing national strike action in France your train 9096 to Moutiers/Bourg St Maurice on Friday 10 January will now have to depart significantly earlier, at 12:46 (approximately), to avoid the railway line closure in the Alps."

So I would need to get an extra day off work, and arrange an extra night of accomodation in resort. I MIGHT have been able to nab one of a few places left on the day train, and just lost the Saturday skiing, but with the problem of my back, I decided to get the full refund.

I hadn't actually pulled the trigger on accomodation yet, or booked the ski pass, so I don't end up out of pocket. Hopefully my back improves and I can go later in the season instead.

So, if anyone else here is booked to go on the night train in the near future, you may need to explore your options.
snow report
@RedRob, sorry to hear about your injury! But it sounds like the train disruption worked very much in your favor. I’m taking that train on 24 Jan and am a bit nervous, we have ski passes and accommodation etc so it would be very annoying to miss out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Diaphon,

If you haven't already got it sorted, get you travel insurance done TODAY. If that email hits your inbox before you do so...
ski holidays
RedRob wrote:
Hi Diaphon,

If you haven't already got it sorted, get you travel insurance done TODAY. If that email hits your inbox before you do so...

I do have travel insurance but now I’m wondering if I have enough. I’ll look into it, good advice!
ski holidays
Wonder if your insurance will pay for Friday evening accomodation, instead of cancelling, if it comes to it. That's assuming you, and anyone you are travelling with, can get the extra day off work.

Fingers crossed it won't be an issue for you.
snow conditions
If you haven't already got it sorted, get you travel insurance done TODAY. If that email hits your inbox before you do so...[/quote]

From the Eurostar website - "If you are booked on a cancelled train, you can exchange or refund your ticket here. You have up to 60 days from the date of your journey to exchange or refund your ticket." https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/disruption/service-update

I'm going the following week so watching carefully. Have booked ET just in case.
snow conditions
@knackered knees, yeah, they gave me that opportunity in the email, and because of my back, I decided to cancel for refund.

However, If you book everything seperately, Eurostar won't refund accomodation of lift passes, which is why I would definately suggest anyone with a train booked, and no insurance yet, get the insurance sorted.
snow conditions
@RedRob, I thought I'd point out that Eurostar would refund the fares up to 60 days after date of travel if anyone had to cancel, rather than a need to claim on insurance.

If someone doesn't have a policy now and knowing that their train could be cancelled, wouldn't be able to get travel insurance to cover the other costs as the strike is known about. Insurers underwrite on risk and gamble that it doesn't happen, not certainty that they will have to pay out.

Hope your back gets better & you can go later in the season snowHead
ski holidays
Lengthy discussion on possible disruption here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150506#3506469
ski holidays
As the OP on the other thread ecureuil has drawn attention to, given the apparent lack of progress with the strike negotiations I'm fully expecting that our overnight train next Friday will be brought forward by 7 hours, and have already asked the hotel we are booked into from 18th onwards about staying there on 17th, which just leaves the matter of transfers.

No idea how this will play out with either Eurostar or our travel insurance, getting to a destination late is one thing, but what about the additional costs incurred as a result of arriving at your holiday destination early through not fault of your own ?! - it necessitates another night in the hotel, we can't now use the bus transfers we'd prebooked, and will need to book new transfers. Might well be the same on the way back too...

Cancelling and travelling later in the season doesn't help because our week long hotel booking is non-refundable (and is considerably more than what we paid for the Eurostar tickets).

Suspect my insurance company might be awkward given that we booked the hotel and Eurostar back in July, but the insurance policy I had in place then lapsed in September and I only took out a new policy (with a different provider) in late December...

What fun !?!.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy