Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zai Ski, any experience?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody,

any experience with the Zai ski?

How do they ride?
Can you really feel the difference of a 6k $ pair of ski? Very Happy

I saw a forum user is selling a pair http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130038#3005662.
I have seen them in shop in Switzerland, but never really tried them out.

Thnks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really?

Newbie member posts something for sale and then another newbie member ask about them in another section of the forum.

Call me a cynic but I can't help wondering if this is the same person.

PS. Welcome to Snowheads whoever you are.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi olderscot, I'll call you cync.

Indeed, I subscribed to the forum as I saw the ZAI for sale, and I wanted to know more about it.

So, do you have any cynic experience to share?

Thanks! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Johnski84,

Just as well I was welcoming then.

I'd say Zai Skis are a luxury item for people who buy things more for their exclusivity and elusive 'quality' than performance. If that's you then I'd suspect you probably want to pop into the shop and pay full price for them rather than buy them second hand.

I'm sure you can get better performing skis for much less money. It all depends on what you want though.

Mike
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks olderscot!

I understand your point.
I was really curious about the performace. It's hard to find somebody who tested the ZAI in "real life".
Did you ever try them?

Jhon
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not surprised you can't find anyone who's tried them. They only make around 1,000 a year to a market of around 100,000,000 skiers. And given their luxury position in the market your chances of finding a review from someone who isn't connected with them is slim.

Nope. Haven't tried them myself. I'm definitely not their target market.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnSki84, When top performing, and rated carbon based skis from Volkl, DPS, Whitedot etc sell for £900-1000, anything beyond that must deliver something exceptional either in terms of performance, or more likely custom made just for you fit, or as seems to be the case with Zai, a cabinet maker style selection of materials and finish. Since you could buy 4-5 pairs of top end skis for the same money, you must really want to have Zai skis to buy them.

I'm in Saas-Fee Switzerland at the moment and a couple in the Hotel pulled a matching pair of Zai skis out of the ski room (probably the Testa model), I didn't get to talk to them, but they were richly dressed, so matched the skis.

With regards to the eBay listing, the person is selling them as "given to them as a Business gift", so maybe something to be careful about in terms of ownership.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 3-02-17 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what's not to like - Zai, a ski company with its own poem: www.zai.ch
This is the English version and I guess the original is in Romansh.

It truly makes me want to rush out and buy a Zag ski...

In the beginning
was the mountain

Summits and steepness
pinnacles and peaks
stony, rocky ranges

zai finds the line
reading the mountain
plays in the snow
like jackdaws in the sky

zai, the tougher ski

A titan
going his own way
not willing to compromise
not willing to die

— Leo Tuor
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JohnSki84, With bidding currently £318 with 4 days to go you can expect the Zai skis to go for £500 plus. They are a tad short, come with the inferior Salomon Z12 bindings rather than the superior Vist ones, and the "Verd" are no longer made by Zai.
I doubt the seller will realise his rather optimistic ....£2500.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 5-02-17 16:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why would anyone buy Zai skis and plonk crappy low end Salomon bindings on them. If you really want a high end ski that's a bit different check out Renoun. Getting all kinds of positive feedback in the US.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, My point exactly ...... bidding now £350+
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied on some borrowed Zai skis when I was in Flims / Laax a few years ago. They were exceptional with remarkable flexibility perhaps because of the small pebbles in the interior of the ski. I went to visit the manufacturing office (about 20 minutes from Flims) and was impressed to see the skis being assembled by hand in typical Swiss precision.

My only negative is that because of the high value, I was not comfortable leaving them outside the mountain cafes and bars.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS - Here is a short video I shot when I was in Flims / Laax which includes the visit to Zai skis:
http://youtube.com/v/QogAHEj13IU
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy