Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camcorder Screens in Bright Sunlight

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We want to start using a camcorder to video our skiing, so we can watch the footage to get feedback on our technique.

I'm guessing that bright / reflected sunlight will cause problems with seeing the screen. Does anybody have any suggestions? Use my hand as a sun shield? Buy a screen hood?

Not too keen on any suggestions that involve buying a different camcorder.

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately the light levels generally outside on snow are very significantly higher than most display screens.

Your eye is also responding to the ambient and closing down it's iris to modulate the light (very effective too) but making it even more difficult to see the screen output.

Most effective hood / accessory to help is to cover all sides of screen (think truncated pyramid) with a hole for your eye to look into while excluding all extraneous light to a reasonable level. It'll just let your eye normalise to the screen's light level, giving clear view.

Transfer from outside scene to screen view will still take a little time to let your eye become accustomed to each level though.

You could try a mock up using plain black art card to get an idea if it offers you anything competent as a test out in bright sunlight, at least to judge if it's going to be workable with the kit you already have.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if your camcorder has a fold out screen, something like this might help
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMVATE-Camera-Camcorder-Fold-out-Screen/dp/B07WG6DS4X/?tag=amz07b-21

other sizes available as well
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I video a lot, including in bright sunlight. A camcorder with a built-in viewfinder is best, but I've never had too much of a problem using a regular screen. Sometimes using your free hand as a screen can help, but I've never felt the need to attach a screen hood of any kind. More hassle than it's worth.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 1980s called... they want their camcorder back wink

Just use an iPhone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:

Just use an iPhone.

That's what we've been doing so far, but the lack of a zoom lens is a bit limiting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oceanic wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Just use an iPhone.

That's what we've been doing so far, but the lack of a zoom lens is a bit limiting.
Quite right, using a phone or something like GoPro is pointless if you want to actually see what is going on. I do video analysis of every session I teach and it would be nice not to have to carry a camera with a zoom lens, but anything else is a waste of time so I put up with carrying a camcorder. I'm now playing around with a compact 'travel zoom' (Sony HX99) which has a long zoom reach and reasonably good image stabilisation and is considerably smaller than the camcorder I use. If the autofocus is good enough to track the skier I'll switch to that camera, but using a phone or any non-zoom camera doesn't really make sense.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oceanic wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Just use an iPhone.

looking at a recent freeride vid, some of the onslope footage came from individuals with clip on zoom lens for phones - is that an avenue you have explored?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, have you tried it outdoors yet? I used my canon G7X last week for video and wasn't brilliant , a bit shaky and the zoom wasn't good enough. the HX99 spec looks good. Does it do 4K video? and can you zoom in out while filming?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
@rob@rar, have you tried it outdoors yet?
Not yet, will do so next month. It's OK indoors, but loses focus a little too easily compared to the dated camcorder I use. Hoping the autofocus will be better in decent light.

skimottaret wrote:
the HX99 spec looks good. Does it do 4K video? and can you zoom in out while filming?
Yes, 4K video, and lower resolutions if you want smaller files sizes. The zoom works while videoing, and I've seen reviews where the autofocus works well enough to track a single subject amongst other moving subjects. What I don't know is how quick that is to setup, so as not to spend too long faffing around while clients are waiting. It also has a screen and a pop-up viewfinder, giving a choice when it's very bright sunlight. Will let you know how I get on with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy