Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short trip, small kids, early Jan..cheap

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I’m trying to organise a trip in early Jan 2020 for me, my partner and our 5 and 7 year olds. Flights will be to either Geneva or Innsbruck arriving on Thurs morning and leaving Sunday mid afternoon. So it’s a quickie. Bairns have never skied before, I’m a keen intermediate, partner a slightly reluctant beginner..so we’re looking for a very family friendly beginnery resort. I do not expect to get a great deal of skiing in, just putting in the groundwork/sowing the seeds for future years. It needs to be cheap..flights are already cheap if I book soonish. Got a possible good Airbnb in val cenis (transfer a bit long though), more expensive but more luxurious hotel deal in le grand Bernard, looked at Avoriaz (transfers seem to be really expensive, but some cheap apartments). I would love to try Austria but accommodation for a few days seems expensive or impossible at the resorts I’ve looked at. Anyone got any recommendations within a shortish transfer?

Thanks a bunch

Shipjack
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're flying into Geneva you could give St Gervais a go. Pretty village with a lot of air bnb type apartments. Good ski school for the kids and about an hours transfer. Plenty of gentle tree lined runs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure where you're based, but have you considered flying to Munich then going to one of the Austrian resorts near the border. Maybe Alpbach, Ellmau or Westerndorf?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Shipjack, Flaine might fit the bill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lot of cash and effort for little slopetime.

La Clusaz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If via Geneva not essential then perhaps Les Deux Alpes. Grenoble, 90 minutes coach transfer (two other airports a bit further). A wide choice of accommodation, learner slopes high up, ‘snow sure’, possible to get relatively high up and back down again without using chair lifts although I guess chair lifts are part of the laying the ground. You could get some blues in while they lunch/are on the green carpet...also a Free button lift at resort level. Consider taking a late (9Pm) flight home and ski the last day till say a 4pm pickup...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Shipjack, what are your plans with respect to lessons? A lot of resorts you can’t just pick group lessons for certain days - but in a few I have seen it possible, so you could be looking at private’s which again pushes prices up significantly
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You say early Jan. if your talking 2nd Jan then that is still christmas peak season. If a week later, then prices drop dramatically.
Seefeld is about an hour on the train from Innsbruck - https://booking.seefeld.com/en/accommodation/offer/
but maybe for a family of 4, it could be cheaper to hire a car in france.
Have you tried sunweb & snowtrex? usually lift pass & accommodation bundles.

If you are prepared to drive, then sign up to l'accor hotels group for basic membership & then book a car via
https://microsite.europcar.com/accorhotels/en/ for a saving - but still worth checking the aggregate websites like holiday autos, etc.
Make sure you factor in snow chains which are a legal requirement on some roads - as marked with the tyre/chain signs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the recommendations. Will do some more research today . Good point about the lessons..ideally I'd want to book two mornings of lessons but I will need to check that is possible especially given one morning will be a Saturday.
Did fancy Ellmau but can't get cheap short term accomodation.
Like I say, I'm not expecting a lot of skiing, it's the only chance I'll get though.

Cheers!

Shipjack
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
About the transfers..I'm tempted to drive for price and convenience but it might be more hassle than I want. Will think about it. I've used sunweb before myself and it's a good deal for a group of adults who would use the free ski pass to its full potential, but not good value for us as a family. Much cheaper to book the flights and accommodation separately and buy whatever bits and bobs of ski passes we need.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From Geneva, and since you don't need the big Savoie resorts (3V, Paradiski, Espace Killy) you are still only 1h away from quite a few good mostly Haute Savoie resorts offering multiple choices: Les Gets, Grand Bornand, Praz de Lys, La Clusaz, Les Carroz, Samoens, Combloux... These are real villages rather than purpose built (Avo, Flaine) or sprawling towns (Morzine, Cham), with lots of charm and activities - but many are still linked.

But then I'm partial of course Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to throw in a bit of an outsider, have you thought about a last minute deal with Crystal or the other companies. There's a fair chance you could get a good deal for a week's skiing for a similar price as to what you'd pay for a short break, especially at that time of year. Appreciate that you might have thought of this and it doesn't suit work timetables etc..!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morzine or Les Gets, has trees if the weather is bad, and nice beginner slopes, but also easish access to higher runs in Avoriaz. Suggest you use British Ski School - https://www.britishskischool.com/BASS_Resorts/Morzine

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-11-19 11:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't help too much with recommendations as all the smaller ski areas I've been don't really work for you for various reasons but just wanted to say that you are thinking along the right lines.

Age 5 and 7 is a good time to start. A couple of mornings of lessons - tick. A trip to the mountains with some skiing - tick. Transfer and slope convenuence - tick. Small ski area - tick. Don't need to spend a fortune - tick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks a lot for your recommendations. I've gone with La Clusaz for the high number of green pistes close to the village. Plus I've never been before so it's always nice to see somewhere new. Flights from Luton, 180 quid return for all 4 of us (including one 23kg bag into which I plan to stuff our ski boots and hopefully partners short skis/blades!..). Air BnB on the green piste, 190 quid. I realise there's more to pay out for yet but so far the finances are stacking up! Plus only 2 days out of school, which my conscience can live with. Hopefully will get 3 mornings skiing and 2 afternoons playing with the kids..top banana. Just hope the weather is nt too brutal, will have to sort some very cosy base layers and good gloves for the kids.

Cheers!

Smile
ski holidays
I don`t know where you are based in the UK, but have you thought of driving all the way? Samoens (up to Flaine) Morzine (up to Avoriaz if needs be) are all easily doable in one days drive if you go through the tunnel early. They are likely to have lots of inexpensive accommodation early Jan (after the New Year week). Both Samoens and Morzine are 'proper' towns so lots to do if skiing all day is too much for your little ones (it was for my 3 at those ages).

If you want to take the journey over 2 days there are plenty of inexpensive stop overs, or with two willing & capable drivers consider driving through the night. In my experience driving all through the night with small children only works if the non-driving person can sleep as my kids slept all through night drives and thus had lots of energy the next day.

(edited just to say your last post was entered as I was typing lol. La Clusaz in nice)
ski holidays
@Shipjack, was in La Clusaz earlier this year for the first time. Nice place, although I don't remember any greens near the village. They were all a gondola ride away.
snow conditions
La Clusaz is great for skiing and a short stay.

Just a real pain to get to on weekends due to the proximity to Annecy - busy roads, busy parkings.

Enjoy the snow!
snow report
@Shipjack, Bit left field but try giving Esprit a call, they may do a short stay own travel deal for you, and they are brilliant for kids holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy