Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit support

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know this is a very variable question but what type of layers should I be looking at for Les Menuires in the first week of Feb. I have only been to Soldeu once and that was in mid March so was fine with a tshirt and jacket (sometimes that was even too warm). However I dont think this will be the case here.

Someone told me they had been near there and was -19°C with wind. Due to the fact I have no experience of that type of cold I have no idea what I will need, and obviously with everyone being affected differently to the cold its tricky to suggest to someone else. So instead what would any of you lot be wearing at that time of year and location.

I'm thinking a base layer like merino long sleeve tshirt, mid layer like a hoody and coat, thinking those thermal leggings under my trousers and something to cover my neck.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WD88,
I think you have read up on what you should do already by your question ... Merino is great and I've got a heap of Marks and Sparks Merino long sleeve tops...but you only need one for a week.
I prefer a proper ski jacket that keeps me warm rather than rely on too many layers.

When its cold the first place you notice it is in the extremities such as you hands and ears perhaps even your feet.
Pack a few "hand warmers" that you can tuck in the back of your gloves.
Don't have gloves that are too tight.

If you ski in Canada it get much colder ... -30 is quite common in January..
you even have to wear a bobble in the hot tub.

I fancy an Oglio base layer, but its a bit pricey.

Welcome to the forum by the way .. I know one of your family ... WD40
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just by asking the question you have it half way sorted already.
As long as your jacket is big enough to get extra layers on underneath and you have those layers with you then just decide on the day how many layers you need.
Merino base layers are also good. 1 thick layer is good, 2 thin ones, same total thickness are warmer.
Thermal leggings are useful, don't wear them often but when I need them I am very glad to have them.
Neck buff or even a thin balaclava that covers completely under the helmet. Don't forget to close the vents on the helmet.
Silk inner gloves adds an extra layer of insulation.

Do not do your boot buckles up so tight that you cut the circulation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WD88, -19C is very unusual in central continental Europe although not unknown.

"with wind" suggests someone's been reading crappy weather reports/forecasts... it can't readily be calculated and only really applies if you are naked.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy