Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2019 - 20

Poster: A snowHead
Back to Kokusai today to see what the wind had left. It looked good in places but wasn’t really worth the effort, some fresh snow but since it was on top of refrozen crud, it was a case of five bad turns for every good one. The off-piste from the top of the gondola skiers right which normally delivers the good was sun affected from 10am and the low snow base made the exit a roller coaster, with the stream barely covered. We left after trying every option and again hit the Onsen.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PowderAdict, We never bothered with the exit gate due to the weather but looking at the map I imagine that the normal route is skiers right of the resort to rejoin somewhere near the bottom, but I didn't spot the reentry point on the piste ?

Although if you are crossing the river you must be dropping further south east ?

Map courtesy of Hokkaido Wilds:
https://cdn-images.hokkaidowilds.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/matashita-yama-ski-tour_route_Ver1.pdf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

@AndAnotherThing.., You rejoin almost level with the netting that stops people skiing under the cabins of the main gondola as they leave the base station. You arrive below piste level and have to side step up a piste machine track.

I'm fairly sure we don't cross a river, just small streams. So in the picture track 1 is the piste warmup, and track 2 is the off-piste run. Pretty much everything between the piste and the return track (which follows the drainage) is skiable terrain, but if you go further you would need skins to return the the resort. In previous years our group has lapped this terrain maybe 10 times in a day and had fresh lines all day. You basically follow the same initial entry, but instead of the 90 right downhill, from that point you would put in a series of lines to intercept the exit traverse.

The snow cover is the worst I've seen in 5 years in February. Normally the powder turns are payback for the exit traverse, but today the snow wasn't worth it and the exit was a comparative nightmare. I know it is an 'official' unofficial route, but its a case of a day spent with a mini-digger in the summer could remove 75% of the issues with the traverse.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PowderAdict, Cheers, that's really helpful. Plenty of scrub and bamboo for us too.

When we were there a small self guided American team were about to skin up the ridge to Mt Asari and then loop around the ridge and drop down the slopes on the opposite side of the valley you skied. The weather and viz were not compelling. One of the piste security guys had a word with them but the continued anyway. I assume they survived but they had to nav through some interesting avy terrain.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boot top untracked around the corner at Niseko Moiwa today (Tuesday 18th February)

4cm reported

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-02-20 9:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Over the head at Kiroro today (Wednesday 19th February).

Tomorrow should be epicer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, You must have skied in different parts of Kiroro to me today, as we found 25-30cm new snow tops, resulting in boot to knee deep snow, but frequently cut through to the crud underneath if you crossed anyone else’s tracks. The lack of base is also evident on the exit traverses which are a rollercoaster compared to previous years.

Consistent snowfall during the day should make tomorrow “epicer” as mentioned, as even after a single lap of a lift, the snow had obscured some of our tracks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed on the lower mountain. As I did today.

It was epicer.

Faceshot Friday tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At Rusutsu today, I've only been there twice before and both times either at end of February or early March, and both times it was a waste of time.

Today was different as there had been new snow fall and there were some great lines to be had. The snow was inconsistent however, with altitude and aspect not a great indication of what to expect. Today gave me a hint of what Rusutsu can offer with a decent dump Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Rusutsu for three days last year. The first was a gamble to see if they opened the East mountain during the tail of the passing storm, which they didn't. The next day was indeed quite fabulous. Every piste I went down was at least knee deep and in the trees, I simply couldn't tell you. It's a resort I'd add to any future itinerary.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

If you have a few minutes left at the end of a day at Rusutsu, it’s worth spending a few of them to experience some “Weird Japanese Stuff” at the main resort hotel complex, it’s a sort of Willy Wonker meets Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fantasy Shocked

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If still heading to JPN and looking to hire a car, I received a discount code after I rented via ToCoo. 3000yen off with this code: JHJU7I
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With all the bad news and the effective end of the season, here is a video diary from Tom who was on the same Whiteroom Hokkaido Backcountry Tour as me in early Feb 2020. Top production work with much of the footage taken with a pole mounted camera which automatically removes the pole from the image (although it can occasionally be seen as a shadow).

http://youtube.com/v/PEJ8F6dJMaY

http://youtube.com/v/wt7WdNuZNyw
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get your facts straight

Everything open in SW Hokkaido.

Only resort I've heard close is Mt Racey in Yubari.

And it's been absolutely dumping with brilliant conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great vids
snow report
Been a March for the ages on Hokkaido.

Everything open.

Regular snowfall, cold, no wind.

Deserted.

Stable snowpack in the backcountry.