Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2019 - 2020 and associated areas

Poster: A snowHead
@Sharkymark, Got a side mount on the helmet, shouldn't get caught and looks more Glen Plake than Tinky Winky Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharkymark wrote:
@KenX, looks sweet Smile A helmet mount will definitely be more stable but more likely to be clonked by lift bars / trees

Lift bars WTF Laughing

And helmet mount WTF #dickheadbillypunter Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And today after many a stay in the valley over winter, discovered that you can take dogs on the gondola, I did think that was a No No but maybe just confused as normal rolling eyes

And so so busy in the valley totally bonkers and grid lock on the roads at 18:00.

That said Happy Hour in the Chazelet is/was a very good call.

Game plan is first lifts until it gets too crazy up there
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, we were also told no in the winter, but have had them on there in the summer without a problem, although I am sure we had Meg on there several years ago when I hurt my knee and wasn't skiing. I'm sure I met up with hubby and kids with the dog.
I am sure I have actually emailed the TO or lift company a couple of years ago to ask and been told no, as a guest renting the apartment asked me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, yes I think we've had the discission on here before about it.

I knew in the summer was not an issue as we do it, but good to suss this out
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
People stuck for hours on a chairlift today
https://twitter.com/bressoni/status/1211314460482297856?s=20
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, as you can imagine been all the talk of the valley, nigh on 100 people taken off by helicopter, or to be exact a helicopter lowered rescuer to each chair and he then rappelled the skiers on the chair to the ground, very impressive!

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2019/12/29/de-nombreux-secours-en-montagne-ce-dimanche
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:
@KenX, looks sweet Smile A helmet mount will definitely be more stable but more likely to be clonked by lift bars / trees

Lift bars WTF Laughing

And helmet mount WTF #dickheadbillypunter Laughing

It may not tickle your whistle or mine, but who are we to judge Ken rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Love a good lift bar me, mine's a Stella Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, as you can imagine been all the talk of the valley, nigh on 100 people taken off by helicopter, or to be exact a helicopter lowered rescuer to each chair and he then rappelled the skiers on the chair to the ground, very impressive!

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2019/12/29/de-nombreux-secours-en-montagne-ce-dimanche

Not fun, stuff of nightmares second only to being stuck on a cable car 1km above the ground.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scary stuff indeeed. Pretty much the same time of day as in "Frozen" (2010) (not Disney...)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of my daughters is in Serre Chevalier this week on a school ski trip - I read the school's daily blog with fingers crossed that none of the kids were stuck on that lift!

Huge respect due to the rescue team. I watched the clip of a chap being winched down to the lift from a chopper - impressive stuff!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Watched a rescue from the old Eychauda chairlift a couple of seasons ago. I don't remember helicopters being involved though, as it was easily accessible from the piste. It was a very busy day too, as it was the Serre Chevalier Grand Prix day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So the crazy Xmas / New Year hordes have left, and we're sort of back to normal.

Good news is that there's still plenty of snow down into the valley unlike many other ski stations where there's not a lot below 1,600m from the sounds of things.

Pistes are firm in the morning and if you catch things right then there's plenty of good skiing to be had on not busy slopes.

We had some vicious winds that scoured a lot of the fresh snow that was still in place off-piste, and later we're venturing up on the S facing slopes, which I hope might have been protected from those winds so hopefully, we'll score some spring snow, but we'll be earning our turns.

High pressure still very much dominant and not too much in the way of snow to get excited about for the next ten days.

Cross country trails are in great condition and I had a really good skate up to le Casset and back yesterday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick update - in fact just read the above as little change, in fact, last week was exactly the same even with one day of strong winds Shocked

Temps have been very cold overnight -8 and then only reaching +4 so the off-piste on S facing slopes is not too good.

There is fresh snow if you're really prepared to do long approaches and climbs, and then find steep couloirs that were not wind affected, that said I see the CAF went up towards the high ridge above Les Boussardes yesterday and encountered hard snow.

Think I'll concentrate on XC again this week as the pistes are in superb condition.

And there is a possibility of all of 10cm back end of the week.
snow report
Quick update - we had around 10cm of fresh snow Friday but then strong winds again afterwards.

We did first lifts at Monetier on Saturday and had two great runs on the piste in 5-10cms or fresh, and then a few runs off Cibouit in the trees which was good in places, though again another powder day on a Saturday, if it had been mid-week we would have had it to ourselves, and would have lasted a good few days Sad

Yesterday we skied Montagnolle and that was not brilliant, but our game plan was to ski down and traverse into the main valley that Montagnolle runs in to. Then we skinned up 500m up where the glacier used to be and viz was really strange with flat light, so flat in fact that I had difficulty in navigating a route to climb up !

Ski down was way better than we expected.

So pistes still in glorious condition and off-piste is varied to say the least.

I'm going up the hill later with a friend who is staying with me for the week doing a crash course, learning to ski with Darren Turner, he's a very strong snow-boarder who I tour with, he uses a splitboard and he just fancied a challenge Puzzled
snow report
Skipped yesterday to get the food shopping done and walked the dogs in the afternoon. We had a a fantastic day on Sunday in the sunshine, although it was blooming cold. Skiing in Monetier today with @gavincrosby, hubby and a couple of friends. I even had the avalanche kit with me wink. Pistes were in fantastic condition and we even found some untracked stuff in between. Spent some time hiding beacons and searching, as only J had done this before. Light got very flat towards lunchtime though. Chez Dam's AKA Peyra Juana was excellent as usual.
ski holidays
Friends in PSV have reported no wind damaged snow and great off piste conditions this week.
ski holidays
Markhandford wrote:
Friends in PSV have reported no wind damaged snow and great off piste conditions this week.

Mark

Check my and Ken's Strava out from today Cool

Light and fluffy

latest report
snowHead cheers for sharing, looking forward to getting back in the valley.
ski holidays
@Markhandford, we're back up there tomorrow with Adrian, Ken and Elaine, the game plan is that I'll break trail and head for much higher this time round whilst the rest of the team will take my track but stop around 800m whilst I hope to do 1,000m or so.
snow report
Headed out this morning on almost empty pistes, despite it being the school day off. A few groups of older kids, and some smaller ones at ski school. Beautiful snow conditions and light winds. Morning hot chocolate stop at Pi Mai as usual, but Three Valley's prices at 14€ for two hot chocolates and chantilly mean we won't be doing that again any time soon. Not the same since the change of ownership.
The new lifts over the last couple of years make it so fast to get right across to Briancon that we had a bit of a ski around before going to the new La Briance restaurant where we sat on the terrace and had a good lunch before skiing back to Monetier on almost deserted pistes. Not a rock, stone or bit of ice in sight. Perfick. Happy .
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, you'll be doing 100km next Laughing
snow conditions
@Weathercam, perhaps not wink. I did turn the Ski tracks app on this morning, but it only seems to have registered my walk across the car park to the lifts.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, sounds wonderful (except the 14€ Chocolate) We had a fab 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year.

Just wondering what you thought of the upgraded Cibouit lift. Was it still skelping people when they got off?
ski holidays
@MarjMJ, you need to get off it sharpish that's for sure!!!!
ski holidays
@MarjMJ, the old one used to skelp you too , my trick is to always board on the right and push myself away from it to the right.
snow report
Never noticed it myself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chris.v, might be more noticeable if you're smaller.
Snowing lightly at the moment.
latest report
@Hells Bells, looking good on the Bachas webcam! Hopefully it continues for a while and stays cold until next weekend snowHead
snow report
@Hells Bells, @KenX, saw all shapes and sizes getting their comeuppance at the top - was definitely a ‘don’t be in the inside right seat’ Gotta Luv skelper Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
@MarjMJ, hmm, I'll have to watch then. I've mainly been in the middle this week, but usually sit on the right on the old lift and shove myself off slightly uphill and to the right as I jump off.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I was definitely happier on the far left seat with a big shove off. Did wonder if it was anything to do with the turning radius of the wheel at the top.

But more probably likely due to spending too much dithering going 'wow, the view!!!'
snow conditions
Have a couple of cms so far.

Just had this travel report in from a friend who went over to ADH with a group of his French ARBB club friends from here.....

Well that was an Interesting day in Alpe d'Huez. We remember the resort from the old days but things have changed. It is much busier (with Feb type lift queues in Jan) and they have spent mllions putting in a new "funitel" lift. The Pointless was a world first for this type of lift which features gondolas hanging from 2 cables but the tech has moved on. This beast boasts 2 cabins each holding 33 skiers in continuous rotation i.e as soon as 2 have left 2 arrive. Result you arrive with the hoards and the Sarenne which is a fabulous run (3300m down to 1600m) is too busy. Another issue is that this new lift only takes you to 3030m and so to get to the real top from it you have to take another chair - next issue there is no piste to connect to the chair and so along with many others we did the off piste traverse which would be fine if it wasn't skied out, rutted, bumpy and blocked by skiers you aren't up to it. Quite a few fell off and had to claw their way back up. Fortunately my little band were good enough to survive unscathed...once we got to the top the snow was sublime with some good off piste options but it was busy.

Lower down the snow depth/quality was nowhere near as good as Serre Che and pistes mainly wide motorways - no trees.

Had lunch at Folie Doux. Opted for self rather than the fancy restaurant. Smart fittings, reasonable prices and food but this is mass market. Another time I would take the old cable car to the top of the Sarenne but it would still be busy coming down.....

Overall Serre Che wins hands down.
snow report
A good few cms overnight,and it is still snowing but the wind is howling.
ski holidays
More than a good few cms thankfully Cool

We headed straight to Monetier and initially wind was not too bad, and even then we seemed to be quite protected whilst all around us was going bonkers.

First lifts and the same strategy of skiing the untracked piste before moving on to less skied pistes and then skiing the forest before one last hurrah that is La Crête des Lauzières and that was in damn fine condition Cool

http://youtube.com/v/ZOUOKa_8nVE
ski holidays
@Weathercam, is that video from today? And no one on the piste! Will be there next week...
snow report
@MogulMonkey, yes that was today Cool
snow conditions
@MogulMonkey, looks like @Weathercam, has secured private pistes for the season!
snow report
How is Puy St. Vincent with a group of mixed abilities for a day? Looks nice - good vertical, beautiful pistes up top. Fun for everyone?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy