Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski gear brand is good quality?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I need new ski gear (jacket and trousers) and was wondering if you could recommend anything? I want to get something that is good quality as it will be my kit for a long time but don't know which brands are good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much do you want to spend?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been looking at Salomon so I'm looking at that price range. 300 max for a jacket.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That’s reasonable. Have a look at Mountain Equipment, Sweet Protection, Marmot and Haglofs. You might get lucky and find Norrøna or Arcteryx in the outlets or discounters, but I think they might still be over budget.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I picked up a new Picture Object Jacket for this year. Been impressed with it on the two trips its been on. And it's very green (made from recycled materials!). I think it was about £250.

As for trousers, I've picked up a pair of Spyder salopettes in TK Maxx. They were about £80. Very warm for the colder days. I also have a pair of Dakine salopettes which are a bit thinner. sp better for the warmer days. Again, I think I paid about £80 for them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends on age, height, and weight.

Moncler, if you're hot.

Degre 7, for others.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very happy with my Dare2b Ski Jacket bought new from Ebay discounted down from £150 to £22.99.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@The Lady Vanishes,

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/women/activewear/snow+ski/snow+ski-clothing/c/01030201?q=&sort=publishedDate-desc&facets=stockLevelStatus:inStock&page=3

Then do your Google!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Whitegold, hahaha no moncler for me then

Thanks for all the suggestions!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sportpursuit is good for reduced price branded kit
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Lady Vanishes wrote:
Hey guys,

I need new ski gear (jacket and trousers) and was wondering if you could recommend anything? I want to get something that is good quality as it will be my kit for a long time but don't know which brands are good.

Go to Sportpursuit and see if you can pick up some Arcteryx or Sweet Protection ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or Norrona
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you shop around online, you can often find bargains in a lot of the better quality kit - I’ve got a mix of Patagonia, Arc'teryx, and Norrona, and not paid rrp for any of it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about brands to avoid for whatever reason? I'll start with Moncler and Canada Goose.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can’t beat peak performance, try keller sports/ sportspursuit where u can normally pickup sale discounts, although might be tricky to buy below 300
ski holidays
Brands to avoid? Bogner’s got to top that list surely, unless ‘Russian mobster trophy arm candy’ is the look you’re aiming for.
ski holidays
@The Lady Vanishes, If you want something to last a long time you should look at Paramo. It is pricy --- but then the jacket I bought in 1995 is still waterproof.
snow report
Stellar looks good ... online only ...
snow conditions
Look no further: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/c/ski-gear/c1239
ski holidays
The key point is price/performance. You don't want cheap-bad or expensive-not performing.
snow report
@The Lady Vanishes, you'll never regret Arcteryx or Norrona - they'll last you many many years, if something goes wrong both companies will replace your gear, and if you're bored of them the resale values are high.

You're shopping in the peak season of course, the brands have new colours out now and people are buying for the upcoming season. If you want to save some money, April would be better (though selection will be more limited). I've always gotten my gear on sale, but to be honest, given the length of time I've owned it, the price difference hardly matters - it would only have been a few quid per year more to pay full retail.

If you're pretty sure you're going to keep skiing for 5 years or more, just get good gear now. It will save you money in the long run.
ski holidays
I've paid full price for one of my jackets, but unless you are (like the daughter) a 'this-season' freak, you really should be able to get a high performance jacket for half the budget. My fave trousers remain the ones I got off here in classifieds for £25! I got a Schoffel jacket in a Snow and Rock outlet last year for £150.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 2-11-19 11:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Norrona have a lot of decent kit hanging about in their outlet store if you don't mind last season's colours - still spendy, but just a little easier on the wallet.
snow report
Helly hansen in the sale / outlet village is where all my stuff comes from. It's great.
snow report
I’ve found Spyder & North Face to be very hard wearing, Degre 7 less so.
snow conditions
Hubby’s just come home with a Wear Colour jacket- I’ve never heard of them, and can’t see any reviews. Does anyone have any experience?
snow report
Patagonia
latest report
@CH2O, Agree.

I have Norona Lofoten Pro trousers. IMHO the best. For Jackets I've tried a Salomon insulate GTX. Okay and only used for walking in the street these days.

I have Haglofs couloir pro. Blue and Yellow like here.
https://www.freeride.com/gear/jackets/haglofs-couloir-pro-jacket.html

Great Jacket and absolutely bombproof. I've had it for bout 5 years and it will last another 10 easily. Only problem was buying it from Sport[ursuit where a lot of kit has been about a while and the DWR haas never worked.

About year ago I got a Patagonia powder from Tiso.

https://www.tiso.com/apjkl7bl0213/patagonia-m-powder-bowl-j-mens-yellow-apjkl7bl0213/00118031/?gclid=CjwKCAiAh5_uBRA5EiwASW3IagUci041tfgfqgrzqvfnX82wckpaFp5cVw_pale9-uX8nn6rwgVpzBoCgrcQAvD_BwE

The picture looks as if it is a bit crappy looking but It is actually a great fit and the colour looks far better in real life. It i really comfortable and I recon I would take this rather than the Haglofs for my skiing.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 11-11-19 10:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endoman wrote:
How about brands to avoid for whatever reason? I'll start with Moncler and Canada Goose.
What is wrong with Canada Goose?
ski holidays
Dubious down supply history and the fact you always seem to see it worn by complete clubnuts at +12 degrees temps in London.
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
Dubious down supply history and the fact you always seem to see it worn by complete clubnuts at +12 degrees temps in London.

Yep, but I try to avoid London. It's the Coyote as well that gets me.
snow report
Quote:

What is wrong with Canada Goose?

I am not in to brands but there is so much fake Canada Goose on the slopes that it has become "not cool" even if it is genuine. Everyone thinks it's fake even if it isn't.
latest report
@Timc, whoever thought it was "cool" in the first place?

As a starter for 10, down is not a great solution for activity...
ski holidays
It’s slight riskier but ebay has plenty of arcteryx stuff 1/3 or even less of original price. Some were barely worn but others are very tired. Got my “second hand” arcteryx ski jacket for £180 and it’s just shining new. Just need to be careful people get into competing mode with the biddings and often overpay stuff.
latest report
+1 for Ebay. I got a second hand North Face Goretex expedition-style jacket for £50, looked as good as new and must have cost in the region of £4-500 when it was.

I think for most casual skiers you don't need to pay more than £100 - especially if you like to change fairly frequently. My g/f bought a Surfanic from TKmaxx for around £70, and it's more than decent for all but the worst conditions.

Also depends how much auxiliary use it will get. I use mine for skiing, hiking and dog walking in winter. On the other hand, my g/f only uses hers for skiing so it's really not worth her spending huge money.
ski holidays
If you can pick-up a Killitec jacket (TK Maxx have them sometimes), you will be doing well. Superb and good value. Popular brand in the German-speaking markets.
ski holidays
I find Schoeffel pretty good quality for the price range you're looking at. A lot of the brands mentioned already are very good but a) expensive and b) mostly off-piste and powder focussed. If you're looking for regular insulated ski pants and jacket then I'd rate Schoeffel as better than Salomon for similar money.
snow conditions
Baileysmum wrote:
Hubby’s just come home with a Wear Colour jacket- I’ve never heard of them, and can’t see any reviews. Does anyone have any experience?

I had one of their parka style jackets, my only complaint was that the colour faded very quickly. It was purple!
ski holidays
Valkyrie wrote:
I find Schoeffel pretty good quality for the price range you're looking at. A lot of the brands mentioned already are very good but a) expensive and b) mostly off-piste and powder focussed. If you're looking for regular insulated ski pants and jacket then I'd rate Schoeffel as better than Salomon for similar money.

A fair selection of Schoeffel on the Sport Conrad website - a few, top-spec ones at around €250, down from €500 (the £ price is at a reasonable exchange rate too if you need pay in £ - just toggle the selection at the top).
ski holidays
@The Lady Vanishes, Or you could try searching for "Mountain Force" on Ebay. Great quality ski-wear, and some real bargains on Ebay at the moment. Kjus is another Ebay staple, as is Colmar. There's still a few Vist ladies ski-wear on TKMaxx website. Best be quick.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy