Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family trip to France - where to go

Poster: A snowHead
We’ve been to Canada (Banff) for the last several years - we’ve got family out there. It’s the only place my 9yr has skied. But this year we just can’t make the dates work and it’s not worth going for one week. So we’re looking at going to Europe for the first time - and having been to Canada we can’t face half term crowds so probably first week of April.

Our main priority is snow sure, followed by a large ski area. So it looks like we’re looking at Val D’Isere, Tignes or Val Thorens. The boy is a pretty good skier, could manage all the groomed blacks in Banff and starting to venture onto moguls etc. Any suggestions which is best for a family? I know it won’t be as quiet as Canada but don’t want to queue for ages for lifts.

We all want a holiday from chores so even if self catering we’ll be eating out. What is France like for children in restaurants? Family friendly? We like a couple of beers after skiing followed by a meal but will hardly be partying all night and don’t want to be kept awake by drunken revellers all night.

Or are we missing somewhere else all together?
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Generally from about second week of March is not crowded in Europe unless something specific locally is happening, it's a very good time to ski.

Snow unknown until we get there (through the season and see the snowfall) but as you suspect move predictable certainty in those higher places. Of these choices you've listed I prefer Tignes but each has its advocates, you'll obviously get all of Tignes plus Val from either so I doesn't matter which you choose.

For a contrast to those above and in France, Val Cenis and Maurienne valley has a lot to offer and more traditional operation, worth considering especially if you want to eat out entirely as cost and choice is particularly good.

Left field, Val D Anniviers and Grimentz / Zinal in CH for beautiful unspoilt high altitude skiing, enchanting valley overall.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any of the major french resorts will be good, but in early April I'd consider the tarrentaise resorts from les menuires to val d'isere as top of the list.
Apart from the shear size other major differences you will find are no need for busses to the ski area. With very little effort you will find accommodation that you can ski almost from the front door. The piste side food tends to be a lot better as well.
Children are very welcome is restaurant. The common pattern is for whole families to eat together,often with toddlers falling asleep towards the end of the meal. And you don't get waiters demanding tips either.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any of the major french resorts will be good, but in early April I'd consider the tarrentaise resorts from les menuires to val d'isere as top of the list.
Apart from the shear size other major differences you will find are no need for busses to the ski area. With very little effort you will find accommodation that you can ski almost from the front door. The piste side food tends to be a lot better as well.
Children are very welcome is restaurant. The common pattern is for whole families to eat together,often with toddlers falling asleep towards the end of the meal. And you don't get waiters demanding tips either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think your options are all very sound. Restaurants in French ski resorts are generally very child friendly - wouldn't worry about that.
You probably know that your shortlist is not the cheapest and that eating our every night is not the economy option but assuming that's not a problem then anyone of those three would be excellent.
Personally I'd add Courchevel - it's not as high as the other three but it is very snow sure and generally has wonderful conditions in March. I'd say that the variety of skiing in its immediate vicinity is better than VDI, T or VT - it adds more treelined skiing for bad weather days. They are all great though.

One comment from @johnE, struck me as a bit odd
Quote:

The piste side food tends to be a lot better as well.

Better than what? I don't think the mountain restaurants are that special in the Tarrentaise? I'm not saying they are bad just in comparison to other places in the Alps distinctly unremarkable. No?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think he meant better than Canada. That wouldn’t be hard - the food on mountain is the one drawback. Generally crowded cafeteria for burger and fries! Food in town is fab - though not as good value as it used to be
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A plt@jedster, a plat du jour is good value, good quality and better than the on piste stuff I had in Canada. I cannot think of much better elsewhere in fact.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A plt@jedster, a plat du jour is good value, good quality and better than the on piste stuff I had in Canada. I cannot think of much better elsewhere in fact.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

ah - Canada - fair enough.
You should try skiing in Italy though - pisteside eating in Monte Rosa and Via Lattea is MUCH better than Tarrentaise.
In France, the place I ski (Les Contamines) isn't in the same league as the Tarrentaise mega resorts in many respects but the mountain restaurants are genuinely superior.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for the tips. I think we may be looking at Tignes - after years of bussing I think we want total ski in/out convenience.

The only question I had was how easy it is to ski Val D’Isere from there? Can you easily get over to Solaise and Fornet and back? Any advice gratefully recieved.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dead easy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do you go via the lifts or do you bus round to Val DIsere?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easy ski, about 8 different ways over..... also there’s now a bus that runs through the day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From Tignes Val Claret or Le Lac to the top of the glacier above Le Fornet (ie the furthest point of the ski area from Tignes) can be done using 6 or 7 lifts - so maybe 45 mins or so (??) riding lifts, with some lovely long runs in between.

It's a fair distance by skis - but very straightforward and a great journey. It's always very quiet above Le Fornet and the skiing and scenery are great. As the top is a glacier, the snow is always excellent too.

For a break in the journey (or even a posh toilet stop) there's a lovely cafe/picnic room at the top of Solaise gondola in Val D - comfy sofas with rugs, a counter selling reasonably priced hot drinks and croissants etc, indoor picnic seating and the most fantastic views of the ski-bowl beyond Solaise through massive windows. A microwave too if you want to heat up your own stuff. Highly recommended - it's a fantastic spot.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First time in Tignes was four years ago. Stayed in Val Claret, excellent access to lifts (including funicular to glacier), but also two good lifts over to the greens above Le Daille - from those slopes you can ski into Val D'Isere if comfortable on reds (Santons) or download using the big cable car.
On New Year's Day in lovely sunshine I skiied from VC round the West side of the Lac, up to Toviere and on to the cable car, up Solaise and onto the up-and-over to the Fornet valley and all the way back in the one day (including lunch with family in Val D'Isere). And I am a not very fast red or blue ski run skiier.
Back again for this New Year in spite of being stormbound when we returned two years ago!
snow conditions
@MSG101, ooo not Santons. Please. Anything but Santons.
snow conditions
And the skiing above Val is great. You must do the scare chair too. Great fun.
snow conditions
Tignes is a great choice. Excellent skiing, most accommodation close to lifts, very easy access to Val and superb views from the Grand Motte. One of my favourite runs is Descent from the top of the cable car, just incredible.

Tignes is a bit quieter than Val but the new Cocorico in Val Claret is worth a visit for an apres beer or two and a chance to watch a live band outside (unless the kids are quite young and getting cold).
ski holidays
dobby wrote:

Agree but I would say to get the up and over chair back not on the way.The skiing down to Le Laisnant from Solaise is great by either piste, but skiing from the bottom of the up and over chair on the Le Fornet side is a tedious pole.
ski holidays
Quote:

dobby wrote:

Agree but I would say to get the up and over chair back not on the way.The skiing down to Le Laisnant from Solaise is great by either piste, but skiing from the bottom of the up and over chair on the Le Fornet side is a tedious pole.

Which is why I skiied down from the up-and-over to the Vallon cable to take me up to the Col before skiing back down to the up-and-over for the return.
ski holidays
@T Bar, good point re the poling.
ski holidays
MSG101 wrote:

Which is why I skiied down from the up-and-over to the Vallon cable to take me up to the Col before skiing back down to the up-and-over for the return.

You still miss out on the run to Le laisnant not to mention runs to Le Fornet, and you've taken two lifts for no height gain.
snow report
OK there's loads more I could have done, but it was my first time skiing outside Scotland, it took place a year after major surgery, and I thought it was fab skiing from one end of Tignes-ValD'Isere to the other and back in one day!
ski holidays
@MSG101, I loved skiing Tignes last year. Great to go over to VDI and back.
snow conditions
MSG101 wrote:
OK there's loads more I could have done, but it was my first time skiing outside Scotland, it took place a year after major surgery, and I thought it was fab skiing from one end of Tignes-ValD'Isere to the other and back in one day!

Well done and I wasn't meaning to criticize your personal trip just pointing out the rationale for taking the up and over chair one way.
snow report
I’d happily take the up and over backwards and forwards a few times
latest report
id rather stay in VDI than Tignes, the skiing is immense from either side.
ski holidays
@TommyJ, Espace Killy my favourite area to ski.

Pros and cons for staying in either Val D or Tignes. Actually I’ve always liked La Daille as a base to stay.

Relatively quiet. Only 10 minutes free bus ride from centre of Val D. Two good fast lifts a very short walk from accommodation. Fairly central to the whole ski area, so good access to both Val D and Tignes sides. Very good home run pistes, compared with Val D

Choice of a hotel or two, a number of catered chalets or a larger number of apartments.

Much to commend it IMO.
snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy