Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has used snow chains?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have used snowchains twice in past two years - in Montgenevre and La Rosiere. Both late December. The car was front wheel drive with winter tyres but chains were needed as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Always practice on the driveway the weekend before we leave.

I used to do this every year. My husband and I did one wheel each and I always won! You need to be fast, to get them on before your fingers freeze (doing it in gloves is clumsy and takes longer). Almost always had to use the chains at least once in 2 months stay in the mountains. Some years, quite frequently (with front wheel drive, winter tyres). I never minded, really, as needing chains means it's SNOWING!! I don't know why some people make such a palaver about using chains - the secret is to put them on as soon as you notice any loss of traction, when you still have a choice about where to stop. Don't leave it too late. It's like the old mantra about reefing sails - you should reef the first moment you think about it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, every trip to the slopes in NZ involved chains. Got good at them!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's right @pam w it means there is snow, which is what thrills us.
It's all part of the adventure.
If skiing was easy it would not be worth doing...
Same goes for chaining.
I'd still recommend gloves though, get a box of nitrile inspection gloves at least.
There so handy

I'm trying to think of the last time I had to use chains ....
I cant believe it myself, I've had to chain up oodles of times.

But the last time was 1997, Easter Weekend and we dont expect to need chains that late, that low, and when we don't have to mannage
I was heading for Leogang .. the snow started and I was driving a BMW 7 series on regular tyres.
There is no snow more slippery than fresh new snow, its like soap.

I just had to stop and get a hotel for the night and buy some chains the next day.
When you are stuck in small village (Fierberbrunn) and you need chains your at the mercy of who ever has chains to fit your car.
I had to pay about £200 worth of Schilling to buy a pair of chains that have to be fitted when the wheels are off the ground.
I know its hard to believe it...
But I've still got them if anybody needs them, they have only been used once.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @McKenzie one of my old Ski Buddies is down your way in South Island right now for a few weeks.
I don't think he is going to need chains now is he?
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy