Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andora for beginers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice on Andorra.

We are reasonably competent intermediates happy on most pistes up to steep reds and easy blacks.

This year we are looking for a budget ski holiday (arent we all) and we have a couple of beginners with us, one of which is very, very timid. Previously skied but didn't get much past nursery slope level, mainly due to the fear factor of going out of control.

So, looking for somewhere with good nursery slopes and very, very gentle slopes to progress to.

Having never been to Andorra and more familiar with the French resorts, could anyone tell me if Soldeu / El Tarter fits our needs.

Any advice much appreciated.

Ps apres ski not a priority or consideration
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Having never been to Andorra and more familiar with the French resorts, could anyone tell me if Soldeu / El Tarter fits our needs.

I can only speak for Soldeu, and the answer is yes, but don't expect it to be cheep. IIRC when I was there a few years ago the lift passes were more expensive than Les Arcs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Soldeu website showing about 275 Euros for the lift pass. IIRC beginners need a full pass (that may have changed)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dobby, Not sure for how many days you are quoting for but if you buy before 31/10/19 a 6 day Les Arcs liift pass will cost 244 euros. After that (not including any early or late season offers) 271.

@Mick8417, If you are looking for budget ski holidays look at the Tatra moutains or perhaps the Balkans. However my experience of these areas is that the slopes are slightly steeper than Soldeu
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, I think that's for 6 days in Andorra. As you say, it's not cheap.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suggest Soldeu nursery slopes rather than ET; so gentle there is a rope tow at the end!

Both have good English instructors if necessary.

Download at end of day though, the blues to base aren’t so beginner friendly. Or try them mid-morning avoiding Rush Hour to get a feel. Snow gets badly chopped up by 4pm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Soldeu or El Tartar would be good. Discount packages from Andorra Travel Service save loads if you need hire, lessons as well as a pass, or indeed lunch. Info in this TR. Slight pros and cons to each: El Tartar has a bigger beginner area with 2 dedicated (slow) chairs. Soldeu plateau area is smaller, with three buttons but it really is a flat plateau at the top of the gondola whereas there is distinctly a slope away from the gondola at El Tartar. Also, the gondola at El Tartar starts in the corner of a massive car park whereas in Soldeu it’s in a building off the high street. Agree about the blues back to the resorts the end of the day, carnage!

TR from last year here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3422970&highlight=soldeu#3422970

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 29-10-19 11:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve always managed to get a half board package for 2 (neilson/crystal) in Easter/Xmas school holidays for under £500. So I think Andorra is great value. Lift pass including lunch (burger/sandwich chips and drink) for every day is perfect for me, at £267 currently on Andorra travel service, they also sell packs to include lesions and hire for those which need them. There are definitely some cruisey blues around Soldeu El Tarter with the option to gondola back at the end of the day if needed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all so much for your advice. it is very much appreciated. On the back on your advice we have booked for Soldeu and got a reasonable package for us all.

We got a package of 5 days lessons for the beginners for just £35 on top of the lift prices.

Will definitely advise the download at the end of the day though. There is nothing like a snotty chopped up last run to destroy a day full of confidence building. Sage advice taken on board.

Thanks again
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im going to look at these suggestions for future as well.

@Mick8417, If you are looking for budget ski holidays look at the Tatra moutains or perhaps the Balkans. However my experience of these areas is that the slopes are slightly steeper than Soldeu
[/quote]
[quote]
johnE
FreeRider
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im going to look at these suggestions for future as well.

[/quote]
[quote]
johnE
FreeRider
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How old are the beginners? Perhaps by day 4 the circus at ET is a laugh for 6-10 year olds. Instructor might take them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm dropping Arinsal in here for some reasons

- It is recognised as having a very good ski school
- The resort is small, but you have a good selection of runs from blue -> black.
- It has a 4km (1000m) drop run which can be done as blue all the way.
- You have the option of the telecabina over to Pal once Arinsal gets boring and you have the free skibus over to Arcalis for a good day's outing. IMHO Arcalis offers the best skiing in Andorra
- You have a good selection of restaurants in the centre of the village and if you are willing to walk more than 100m you'll find some other ones too including a microbrewery (!).

P.S. There's a distillery in town too, but you might have to make an arrangement to visit as it is not always open in the afternoon. It is run by a very friendly German couple.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 25-11-19 14:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ysb33r wrote:
I'm dropping Arinsal in here for some reasons....

Totally agree.
Although me and the missus had a fair bit of snowboard experience, we visited Arinsal in Jan '18 and decided to learn skiing. Instructors were great, lesson pricing was good value and the place was definitely set up nicely for causing around at your own pace to gain confidence. It was a quiet time just after new year so that helped. For anyone not looking for huge mileage and decent apres, it's a really good choice

Didn't know about the distillery though.... looking at possibly returning in April so that may be an off the slopes activity Smile

RE: Arcalis - I believe they've now changed the lift pass so you can either have a Pal/Arinsal-only ticket or have two days in Arcalis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy