Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel L'Hermitage Alpe D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m just glad that the holiday was a last minute deal, therefore below brochure price, because if we had paid the full price to stay in the Hotel L’Hermitage, (A Crystal Club Hotel) I would have thrown myself off the balcony in protest. It was dirty, tired, untidy and in need of a total refurbishment. The heating in the rooms had two settings, boiling hot or off, controlled only by the hotel mechanic, no automated timer for the boilers, and no thermostats in the rooms – seems the hotel owner doesn’t take much notice of guest’s constant complaints about this. Electric sockets were hanging out of the walls and the toilet had no window and no extractor fan. The’lounge’ and I use that word loosely, consisted of 9 seats in the reception area. Unless you can stand the smoke-filled aprè ski bar attached to the hotel. There was no evidence of any hotel cleaning the whole week we were there, and anything dropped on the carpets anywhere in the hotel, remained there.

The food was acceptable, but finding clean pots to eat it off was a daily challenge, that’s if there were enough available. It would seem that whoever is responsible for multiplying guest numbers, by plates/cups/saucers required for the said numbers, must have used their fingers and toes to calculate, then got stuck!!! If you didn’t enter the dinning room immediately it opened for breakfast, you went hungry, as once the serving plates were emptied, 15 minutes later, they didn’t restock them.

This is a family orientated hotel due to the child care facilities offered, and reports were that the crèche and children’s club were very good, but it would have been good ‘dinning-room management’, to put families with young babies in the same part of the dinning room together, so that couples past the baby stage of their lives, weren’t faced with the spectacle of vomiting children first thing in the morning!

The staff I cannot complain about, they were very helpful, and did a sterling job despite poor facilities, and a hotel owner and tour operator that cared very little about customer satisfaction. The staff were the only plus point of the hotel. I would not go to this hotel again if it were free! Letter in the post to Crystal as I type.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953 wrote:
I would not go to this hotel again if it were free!

I have stayed in l'Hermitage for free and I would have to be honest and say I would stay there again for free but it does have all the charm of an Intourist Hotel in Karl-Marx Stadt circa 1977. Plus points are the sunny balconies and the RooBar under the hotel used to be quite good but had been burned out or something when I was last there. The rooms are also quite large for French standards. It is not untypical for a resort hotel although it does seem to suffer from a lot of issues in rooms such as bad wiring and plumbing. Why do French electrical sockets always pull out of walls - because they don't use proper socket boxes that is why.

L'Hermitage is poorly located in l'Alpe d'Huez - long walks to anywhere really.

To be honest with you most of the resort needs knocking down and rebuilding as it is pretty dated. You should send a copy of your letter to the Tourist Board and the Mayor - Eric Muller (Eric MULLER. Marie – Route de la Poste – 38750 Alpe d’Huez)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Why do French electrical sockets always pull out of walls - because they don't use proper socket boxes that is why.

Also because 18-year-old English staff insist on hauling the hoover cable out of the socket from the other end of the corridor rather than walking back and unplugging it properly.

Quote:

L'Hermitage is poorly located in l'Alpe d'Huez - long walks to anywhere really

You evidently didn't notice the bucket lift two minutes walk away, or all the shops and the ice rink on Les Jeux about five minutes away.

I've a friend who managed the Hermitage several years ago - comments re lack of crockery sound familiar!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Also because 18-year-old English staff insist on hauling the hoover cable out of the socket from the other end of the corridor rather than walking back and unplugging it properly

Perhaps the operators should spend more money employing some proper staff then ?
You can't put the blame on underpaid staff!!

I visited some friends staying in that hotel & would endorse it's poor standards.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Give over - its close to everywhere and I'm not a fan of this hotel but to say its in a bad location is not fair.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

it would have been good ‘dinning-room management’, to put families with young babies in the same part of the dinning room together, so that couples past the baby stage of their lives, weren’t faced with the spectacle of vomiting children first thing in the morning!

Your whole rant lost all credibility with this comment. If you don’t want to encounter babies and young children then you know what you can do - go book a non family hotel!

It’s hard work taking very young kids skiing and I admire any parent that does this. I can only imagine what it must have been like for them watching your miserable face every morning!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Perhaps the operators should spend more money employing some proper staff then ?

Perhaps you'd like to spend lots more money on your holiday then?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, so how was the skiing? Was it a confidence booster (unlike Saalbach!) which made up for the poor hotel?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm. I rather liked L'Hermitage. Went there on a late deal, and stayed in the annex - so had a 2 bedroom, 5 bed, suite between 2. The place was kept very clean for us. I liked the the bar, the dining room was OK - though you did have to check that the coffee cups were clean. Families seemed happy - and a point not really to do with Crystal, all the children seemed happy and well behaved - so modern mums and dads must be doing something right.

But it was when I ruptured my Achilles tendon that I realised how outstanding the Crystal staff were. Not realising how bad my injury was, I walked down to the medical centre on my own. The doctor correctly diagnosed a total rupture of the tendon, and put my left tendon in a resin cast. And that was that. It was up to me to organize getting my own crutches and medication from the local pharmacy several hundred metres away. So I hobbled somehow to the outside lobby of the medical centre, and called the hotel. Immediately 2 strong Crystal lads turned up. They lifted me like a hooker in the front row of a rugby scrum, to the nearby ATM so that I could draw some cash. Then carried me on to the hotel, then went to the pharmacy to get all the kit. They were superb. And throughout the rest of my stay, the staff kept an eye out for me, made sure I had space for my injured leg, and asked if they could help me. I came away with rather a warm glow about the nation's youth. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick Zotov, very nice to hear something good about Crystal for a change snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov, As I said. the staff were great, and they told us that the hotel owner doesn't care that much about the condition of the hotel, and spends as little as possible on upgrading - not sure who is responsible, as it's a Crystal owned hotel, perhaps they rent it! But fire doors on the landings shouldn't be wedged open with wooden blocks, not good for couples, singles and especially those with kids!! NorthWestFace, You missed the point, I wasn't blaming the parents or the kids, you can't stop children being sick, it's the norm with change of routine and different food, but it was as frustrating for the parents trying to fit the highchairs in amongst the closely packed tables, as it was for other guests trying to avoid knocking into them - just poor seating arrangements, so you don't need to get so defensive! I've never seen any non-children hotels advertised in the brochures, new one to me - unless you mean the 18 - 30's, but I don't think we'd get in Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hayley t, yes the greens were great, not best time of year though snow-wise, but Saalbach is ssssoooooooo much prettier, different class altogether, in another league when it comes to standards or food, ambiance, atmosphere, aprè ski, and cost of food and drink, almost worth not skiing just to be there!! the Austrians really know how to treat their guests. Tourist board of Saalbach/Hinterglemm could teach the French a thing or two!! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy