Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hard shell jackets and layering - advise needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Russeh, It looks ok from here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes in socks you will obviously get frostbite with no boots for the snow gaiter to seal around .
So long as you bought pants from the snowsports range the gaiters are inside .

Wearing ski or snowboard boots will allow a better seal at the boot also the inseam lenght will seem less .

Then you wear base layers under the shell pants depending on temp/wind.... just like you wear clothes under a raincoat .

Without the expedition fit "room" that you are concerned about inside on carpet..... then during athletic activity with layers... the ski clothing can bind and not fit comfortably in endurance/athletic mode .

The fit allows articulation with layers ...the jackets work the same which is very different to fashion fit and look .
You must stay dry or its game over in really cold weather often its sweat causing dampness hence the zipped vents .

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-11-19 7:51; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Russeh,

shells are not designed to keep you warm.
Its there to keep weather from penetrating in, while allowing you underlayers to breath.

20k shell lets very little in, if they was lined as well, then they would leave very little out. To the point where you would probably overheat. Plus your sweat would not be able to escape your base layer & making things uncomfortable.
If you are really worried about temperature warmth, then you can buy bottom midlayers. I know the brand Picture used to do such a pair called mitty.
I wear Burton expedition base layer, 3/4 length tracksuit bottoms & that keeps me warm enough when moving. Can feel the wind chill on lifts though.
On top, I use a mid layer to suit the weather & conditions.
Shell is about layering. Base layer to wick sweat, mid layer for warmth, outer lay to keep weather out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Russeh,
Quote:

I think i already know the answer to this, but this amount of volume isn't going to be good for staying warm is it?

I've got some Arcteryx ski specific shell pants and they are styled quite baggy. I don't find them cold - they do trap a layer of air.
It's more a question of taste whether you like the baggier look or not.
I wouldn't call mine "expedition fit" if only because the lack of full length zips / drop seat etc doesn't make them suitable for full on mountaineering etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Arcteryx pants have what they call light insulation ( Sabre) It's very light. I am happy with a 3/4 length thin merino under them in cold conditions, and in a typical march / april spring week am happy with them on their own. YMMV. Of course I have socks to almost knee, and long boxers to mid thigh, so there's not much not covered underneath.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah I would not be worried about how baggy they are unless you don't like the look of them in the mirror!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
started a new job this week so only just got round to logging on.

OK so i'm led to believe that if you have excess space in your shell then this just becomes too much of an area to create warm pockets of air, so you don't stay warm, probably more of an issue in jacket than pants. It's kinda hard to show just how baggy they are in the photos but could easy wear my jeans under them no problem. The other concern is i think the excess material will just rub and get in the way when walking. On the plus side i'm not at all worried about being restricted in movement in these.

I'm probably going to send them back and get the Sabres, i tried this seasons on in the regular fit and they are a much better shape.

@endoman Question: because the sabres are lightly insulated do you find that the inside layer catches your base layers and restricts movement? also do you think you could wear them without base layers or do you think you think they'd stick to you if you got hot?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would wear with base layers even though lightly insulated.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Russeh,

No catching I noticed. I have worn without base layers and again no issues. The insulation is just like a very thin brushed cotton. Probably something else, but that’s my description.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got Arcteryx Sabre shell trousers and they are baggy similar to that, maybe more. If it's very, very cold then I sometimes have a base layer as well, but most times I don't even bother with that.

All personal though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Russeh, I'm not sure the Sabre pants I had contained any real insulation. They did have an inner liner but that wasn't insulated in the manner of traditional ski trousers.

I agree with @endoman regarding the no catching and as they have an inner liner they don't stick to anything either!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have sabres and they're way baggier below the knee than the ones in that photo. I have only ever worn 3/4 length merino underneath and have never been cold - even in -30 Norway.

The amount of space you have in there doesn't affect the heat you build up if the shell itself is windstopping and not getting you wet.

The 'insulation' in the sabres is a smooth light flocking that just separates the outer facing layers from your skin/base layer.

I would imagine the 'pettes you have there are just like the sabres protection-wise, in that they do what they are supposed to do very very well, being an Arcteryx product that's almost always a given.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy