Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non Sella Ronda tours in the dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking at some day trips that are not the classics and wanted to know if there are any issues etc. We’re a family of 4 youngest 12, we are steady intermediates, love a blue, enjoy many but not all reds (hate the reds off the top of Ciampinoi heading south but will do them) (lots of swearing from my youngest so apologies if you hear a stream of obscenities from a 12 yr old girl but its better than tears..) we will be going in feb half term in 2020
As little bus as possible as Mrs c doesn’t like them, and I all adventures are an adventure, if it goes too wrong – too much walking or too many nasty slops or huge queue after huge queue, I get it in the neck, as why are we here rather than the cruisey blues of Alta Badia. Rows ensue often with tears and generally I get grief for months if not years to come. I yearn to explore, the children reasonably relaxed Mrs C would ski in Colfosco all week with a long lunch in Col Pradat every day.
They all start in corvara

Been to cortina, and cinque torre, had a trip to Kronplatz (disaster) done SR, heard some horrid queues from marmonlada so no desire for that. Ideally the trips will be fun, pretty, not too difficult and if possible away from the crowds
1 pera di fassa- catenaccio.
The super dolomiti app says this is about 70km round trip.
A is it doable in a day, and going via Arabba the app suggests skiing down del bosco into canazei and getting a bus to Alba-ciampac vs Alba-col dei Rossi? Would we have time to give Catenaccio a good run or would be be get there and come home?
And if we got tired I’m guessing we could get a bus back from Pera di fassa to campetello/col rondella?

2 Secada/ortesi
Is there any way of avoiding the blacks off the top of ciampinoi? Can you drop down to St chrisphof round the back of piz sella? The piste map says no but my bergfex walking app has a linked piste?
And would we have time to do all of the long reds into Ortesi and are they worth the schlep?

3 civetta
For this would be probably drive up to the falzarego pass park up them ski over the cinque torre and get the bus down to Pescul. (are there plenty and easy to find and understand the timetable..) the idea would be to have a fun day on a nice looking ski area rather than do the WW1 tour, then back up to Cinque torre and drive home

All help is gratefully received and any other ideas very welcome too
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great war ring. Epic. Two buses bit easy I'm a day. Includes.hiddem vamkey two.

Ski panorama. Out to value di fassa. Great route.

Sam pellegrino and Falcade. Pretty easy.skiong but a nice day out t
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"..Is there any way of avoiding the blacks off the top of ciampinoi? Can you drop down to St chrisphof round the back of piz sella.."

No, you can drop off the back of Piz Sella, but it takes you to Monte Pana. Best way would to be to take the bus from Selva to St Chrisphof

-----------------------------

"...the app suggests skiing down del bosco into canazei and getting a bus to Alba-ciampac vs Alba-col dei Rossi...."

To get to the Col Rossi - Alba gondola you have to ski down to Pecol and get the Gondola up to Col Rossi : Probably quicker than skiing down to Canazei and getting the bus

----------------------------

http://www.dolomiti.com.au/corvara/the-skiing.html -- this website has some good suggestions for tours

----------------------------

Some of your suggestions might be a 'bit' ambitious with little ones..

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-10-19 20:17; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is this "St Chrisphof" being discussed? Puzzled From Ciampinoi you can ski down to St Christina and then take the funicular and chair up to Seceda from where there is the nice 10.5km long red run "La Longia" to Ortisei (also known as St Ulrich in German).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, its Christina of which we speak --- (i'm just going with to OP's spellings...…!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, I thought that might be the case! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christina Christoph all names being with. C just keeping you on your toes thanks so far
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HugoC, Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you been to the church at Santa Croce ? (above Badia)

That is quite a pleasant trip and all easyish runs (with exception perhaps of red from Piz La lla down to La Villa although there is a blue which takes you some of the way). No buses if coming from Corvara

The local runs in La Villa are lovely (and quiet). We are basing ourselves here in Feb half term.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can get to Monte pana there is a coach through the trees which connects to very flattering skiing on the enormous expanse of Alpe de Suisa.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sheffskibod wrote:
Have you been to the church at Santa Croce ? (above Badia)

That is quite a pleasant trip and all easyish runs (with exception perhaps of red from Piz La lla down to La Villa although there is a blue which takes you some of the way). No buses if coming from Corvara

The local runs in La Villa are lovely (and quiet). We are basing ourselves here in Feb half term.

Blue 24 from the bottom of the Bamby chair does take quite a bit of red 17 out. Red 17 can cut up badly towards the end of the day, personally I find the black option, Gran Risa, easier as it is much less chopped up. Alternatively take the Ila gondola down.

Apart from that its a fine ski over to Badia/Pedraces and the runs off the top, new 8 man gondola this season I think too, are real pleasers for getting the turns in. Oh the views of the Fanes range are pretty special too snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

new 8 man gondola this season I think too

the one up to (just short of) the church?
That's going to be a 10er I believe! (but not entirely sure why, unless it's to get more MTBs in during summer)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for you input
Any more thoughts on over to Val di Fassa or civetta for the day ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
Quote:

That's going to be a 10er I believe! (but not entirely sure why, unless it's to get more MTBs in during summer)

Yes will be a 10er. Allows up to 3 mountain bikes to be carried in a cabin. Also allows instructors to take an entire class into a single cabin. Plus allows the lift to be more wheelchair friendly. Funny I dont recall the old chair being that slow, I always thought the first chair from the village to be really slow rather than the second one.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmybog wrote:
Funny I dont recall the old chair being that slow, I always thought the first chair from the village to be really slow rather than the second one.

My memory is that the old last chair up to Santa Croce was indeed very slow, at least as slow as the first one from the village.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
jimmybog wrote:
Funny I dont recall the old chair being that slow, I always thought the first chair from the village to be really slow rather than the second one.

My memory is that the old last chair up to Santa Croce was indeed very slow, at least as slow as the first one from the village.

But wasn't the 2nd chair a lot shorter in length, thus why I may not have noticed it being slow?
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:

But wasn't the 2nd chair a lot shorter in length, thus why I may not have noticed it being slow?

Yes the 2nd chair was shorter in length. Anyway regardless of chair speeds I think we can agree it's a lovely little area with great views at the top and nice tree lined runs down and well worth a visit during the Birthday Bash! snowHead
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Quote:

My bad I thought it said an eight on the signage when we walked up there in June.

Anyway 8 or 10 seems way over the top considering it is served by the slow 4 man chair from the valley.

Still a good place to be based, the runs from the top are a very good warm up for travels further afield. Also we usually take the red under the Sponata chair first thing, en route for La Villa, as it is great when freshly piste bashed.
snow conditions
The loss of the top chair has certainly annoyed a lot of the local skiers who rather liked the peaceful journey through the fir trees in the 'romantic' double chair. Alas.

The lower chair is a detachable quad and one of the longest in the Alta Badia at 2km (two of the lifts at Kronplatz are approaching 4kms!). The top chair is just under 1km. There is some talk about the lower chair eventually being replaced with a 10 person gondola that will then form a lower first stage.

I can only think that they have gone for a Gondola for the reasons Jimmybog has suggested and perhaps because a Gondola is more likely to be future proof in the event of skiing ceasing? Its never really that busy.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
What is this "St Chrisphof" being discussed? Puzzled From Ciampinoi you can ski down to St Christina and then take the funicular and chair up to Seceda from where there is the nice 10.5km long red run "La Longia" to Ortisei (also known as St Ulrich in German).

Really enjoyed that run on our first trip last year went there twice from Canazei, first time as diversion from SR. I'm an intermediate and it was fine, nice and long, starts on the mountain, then some trees before going through a gorge (not really narrow) with a natural ice wall (aka frozen waterfall). It was also pretty quiet and we even saw some deer.

OP, if you have a car IIRC there is a car park next to the funicular but someone with local knowledge may correct this just in case it was for coaches only.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy