Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spain / Andorra - ski bumming, American-style

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I've been skiing my entire life and can ski pretty much anything, including ice, backcountry or 'piste'. Based in NY area, but I've skied extensively in Idaho (not Sun Valley), and Alberta. But I've never skied in Europe.
I'm from Northeastern US, so I'm looking for good spots to ski in Europe that are challenging but not 'glamorous'. Personally, I find Stratton to be overwhelmingly preppy,,, vail horrifies me and even Jackson Hole has gentrified too much. Coming from a background of *extreme* small town cheap skiing, where might I be most comfortable in Europe? What mountains will have great terrain and maybe a few good bars but no five star resorts, fur stores, or celebrities in heels?
***In particular, I am looking into Spain or Andorra (since I have family friends there).
Thanks!
-Adirondacquette
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adirondacquette wrote:
What mountains will have great terrain and maybe a few good bars but no five star resorts, fur stores, or celebrities in heels

Most of them, providing you pick where on the mountain you stay. Many resorts, even 'glitzy' ones, have cheaper satellite villages attached to the ski area.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baqueira (Val d'Aran) or Cerler (Benasque) in Spain; Arcalís (Ordino/La Massana) or Soldeu/El Tarter in Andorra - which are covered by the same ticket these days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gressoney and Alagna near the Monte Rosa, NW Italy.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowUserReviews-g608940-d3735734-r153253262-Monterosa_Ski-Gressoney_la_Trinite_Valle_d_Aosta.html#REVIEWS
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What mountains will have great terrain and maybe a few good bars but no five star resorts, fur stores, or celebrities in heels?

Define "great terrain"?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vielha is a proper town near baquiera beret would be a much cheaper base to live in than baquiera itself. It has big supermarkets and some great cheap bars.

Baquiera has a lot of wealthy visitors, but it's not exactly val d'isere

Ski area, piste maintenance etc is top notch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't recommend Andorra if you're at an advanced level...

Did a road trip a couple of years ago that I would recommend to the man on a budget, can be extended as needed.

We started at Sauze d'Oulx, on one end of the Via Lattea - excellent skiing in a traditional Italian resort. Gets something of a bad reputation from the snobs on here, but the wine is cheap and superb, and the Via Lattea is huge.

We then drove onto Briancon, where we stayed in another cheap Airbnb in the town and skied the Serre Chevalier network; another box ticked. The thing I liked about Briancon was it felt like a 'proper' town as opposed to a mega-money resort town. Plenty of cheap places to eat, and a good hypermarche for cooking at home and saving a few quid...

Then we drove up to L2A which in itself offers good resort skiing, and has the mega bonus of accessibility into La Grave, which I believe offers some of the best off piste skiing in Europe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Pyrenees are hardly fancy, in my experience, you'll be fine there. That said you need to learn to eat dinner at midnight. I've only been twice, but the snow depth wasn't sufficient to cover the rocks in many places; it may not be the best place if you're into that sort of "extreme".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure what you will find “challenging” given that 10ft to the side of a piste can legally be considered “off piste “ and thus uninsured by many. A different concept to N American “in bounds”. Of course there is off piste but do check this before you go.

Andorra is outside EU which has several practical effects such as phone bills, medical coverage etc (but also lower taxes).

I don’t imagine any resort in Pyrenees to be Luis Vuitton; Pas de la Casa has quite a Spring Breakers reputation though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I understand that resorts in Europe are not owned in the way that NA resorts can be, so they might evolve more organically. Might be wrong.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Adirondacquette, You are going to need a partner for "extreme" skiing in Europe. Off piste is not patrolled and not avalanche controlled. It's the equivalent of going through the gates at a place like Jackson. Are you aware of that? That will impact your choice because it sounds like you will need at least one person to ski with to do the type of skiing you are accustomed to doing.

Putting that aside, look into Grimentz/Zinal. It would like satisfy parts of your list. Andermatt Ski Arena is another to consider. I've never skied the Pyrenees so no help there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy