Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nassfeld

Poster: A snowHead
I can see 3 results for this on the forum. The two resort reports are about a decade old. Had an email flyer from these people. https://www.skisolutions.com/ski-holidays/austria-resorts/nassfeld?k_rtapid=p.712._k_EAIaIQobChMInN6_4NOh5QIVCOJ3Ch34FAFYEAAYASAAEgKZtfD_BwE_k_.&type=skiholiday&kpid=go_cmp-1023370789_adg-72391679720_ad-346226821821_dsa-722929541400_dev-m_ext-70226379006&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInN6_4NOh5QIVCOJ3Ch34FAFYEAAYASAAEgKZtfD_BwE And it looks good. Wondered if anyone had more recent reviews to chip in or is a place that’s past snowHeads by?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went last season when the rest of Austria was suffering from Snowmageddon, Nassfeld had around 100cm which was plenty and nearly everything was open. Judging by the architecture and the roadside snow poles it was a below average season for snow. We used Crystal/TUI who landed us at Salzburg and had a 3hr transfer. Stayed at the Franz Ferdinand which is a modern steel, glass and concrete building with ski/board/boot storage in the lobby of each room. Friendly staff and an excellent buffet evening meal. Large bar area and an indoor climbing wall! Skiing is mostly red grade pistes. Apart from the flatter bits and the odd steeper pitch it sort of felt much the same. Enough mountain huts but not loads. Apres is mainly two bars and was good old school Austrian atmosphere. The town is tiny, has a small supermarket and bank. Would go back if invited but prefer other places. Anything else?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Run into town. Everywhere is usually covered in 3-4m snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Oitbc, my son went to Nassfeld on a school trip about 5 years ago. All the way by coach, which I wouldn’t recommend!

He enjoyed it very much. Food on mountain and in hotel enthused about. A friendly atmosphere all round I think.

He had instruction too, which he was OK with, though he was usually lukewarm or hostile to the idea in France.

He remarked the skiing got repetitive towards end of week. He’s usually skied the big French circuits, St Anton etc, so unfair comparison with them.

If any specific questions, I could ask him, especially if it’s about pizzas.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Oitbc, my son went to Nassfeld on a school trip about 5 years ago. All the way by coach, which I wouldn’t recommend!

He enjoyed it very much. Food on mountain and in hotel enthused about. A friendly atmosphere all round I think.

He had instruction too, which he was OK with, though he was usually lukewarm or hostile to the idea in France.

He remarked the skiing got repetitive towards end of week. He’s usually skied the big French circuits + St Anton etc, so unfair comparison with them.

If any specific questions, I could ask him, especially if it’s about pizzas.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both that’s really helpful. Looking to fit something in at the end of March with the kids and was wondering if it would suit them. Of course have to convince my partner who has pointed out we are doing Norway at Xmas and PreBBW already.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a work colleague, a keen skier, who goes every year on a family ski trip because that's where they have gone for many years, I guess back to the same hotel. His reports are not particularly positive. Last year when the northern Austrian Alps were sinking under the weight of snow Nassfeld had only so so snow. It is just about the most southerly Austrian ski area, weather and snow conditions have more in common with the Dolomites and Karntic Alps than the Tirol etc, though sometimes Karnten does get hit with big snow storms when there is hardly a snowflake elsewhere. Given this and also that it is not particularly high it does not seem a good option in late March (my colleague always goes in January) unless you want to work on your sun tan. Other than charter flights to Klagenfurt it is a long way from any other normal access point, Venice probably the easiest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Oitbc, I tend to agree with @munich_irish, and his mate’s report. Late March risky with snow conditions somewhere like Nassfeld.

Don’t know how you feel about last minute booking, when snow & weather reports are fairly reliable?

Late March misses Easter Hols in 2020. A low season week, prime for a good late deal.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As exceptional as the northern Austrian alps heavy snow was I got the impression that the relatively low snow heights in Nassfeld was also rare. Late march may be a bit iffy snow wise, but most of the skiing is 1500m-2000m and the gondola lift goes from town to the top in three stages (no need to change cabins, but listen out for the marketing PA announcements in each!) and downloading is probably quicker than the run home which is a bit of a convoluted route. Skiing off the top is not especially difficult and we saw lots of kids about in lessons and improving. I'd go in late March if on a bargain late deal and just accept the likely conditions. Another weeks skiing is another weeks skiing Very Happy I did look at DIY to Ljubljana with Wizz air I think and a taxi wasn't too bad about 130km 1 3/4 hours.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HutToHut wrote:
Run into town. Everywhere is usually covered in 3-4m snow.

Well not really Wink It should be extra ordinary winter to have 3-4m of snow on top of Nassfeld. Valley, where this photo is, has normally 20-30cm of snow during most of winter.
Otherwise Nassfeld is not typical place. It's ski place I call my home ski place, even though I live in different country, and hate to write this here, as I certainly don't want you to come here... less people more fun for me Smile It's not really place to have normal ski vacation as out of skiing, there's simply nothing to do. No partying no huge hotels or something similar what you can do elsewhere. At 5pm, they roll sidewalks and store them away until next day, that someone won't think on going out on evening Very Happy But living less then 1h drive from there, I don't care about that, as I'm not staying there anyway. And as far as skiing is concerned, it's one of my favorite places. It's not huge, but all lifts are pretty up to date, and amount of people is low, so whole December, January and March I can freely enjoy on pistes with my race GS or SG skis without need to worry it will be to crowded for speed needed for those skis. February is different thing, but that's month where I'm either on xc or touring skis and never on alpine.
Snow conditions vary... if snow comes from south it's great, if it comes from north (like whole last winter was) it's low. They don't open super early and they never drag season super long, but for March it shouldn't be much of issue with snow regardless on winter. They have everything open on artificial snow anyway. But March might be a bit late already, as if it's early spring, conditions might be pretty wet and soft, as most terrains are E or W facing, so they have whole bunch of sun on from early morning on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@primoz, yes I did mean on the top not down at Tröpolach. I have seen over 3m reported several times over the years, this could be my poor memory or their marketing has got to me Very Happy Our first night was quite a bit of a party. The weekend evenings were busier than in the week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HutToHut, there are winters when there's 3, 4 or even 6m of snow on top, but those are not really average winters. Normally 1.5 to 2m is pretty much max for "average" winter, but yeah sometimes it can be more.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went a few years ago. Would go back. A lot of the pistes seemed to be similar to each other but at either end of the resort there was decent variety. Generally intermediate level but that's a positive comment as I think I am pretty intermediate. I do intend to go back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I expect one of those reports was mine. I really liked Nassfeld, it had some great great runs. The good thing is, they've replaced a nasty T-bar you had to catch to get back to the home run. It's now a chairlift, much better. The place was deserted in the evenings when we were there, I wonder if it's livened up a bit since 2009.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Better start for them this year, 120cm reported top to bottom on 6th Dec. Seen a package deal for £760 January 4th.
snow conditions
@HutToHut, hahah nice joke Smile 120cm in length maybe, definitely not in height Smile I was there last weekend for some ski touring, as it's pretty much closest place to me, where you can easily get up to 1500m with car. On Saturday, less then week ago, snow height up in mountain (about 1800m high, where highest lift ends at 2000m), there was officially 80cm of snow, but in reality 50cm max. On pistes, there was maybe 20-30, with really lot of places where streams were flowing (whole Nassfeld is one giant waterfall, but that's what name is telling already... Wet Field), and ground was exposed. And they didn't have centimeter of artifical snow done yet by then. Sure they turned machinery on in last few days, and they opened resort today, but I certainly wouldn't take good skis there at the moment. And on bottom... well there's no natural snow on bottom, and there was zero artificial snow on bottom 6 days ago, so I wouldn't count on really awesome conditions at the moment.
snow conditions
@primoz, their marketing department must have a ruler with an unconventional centimetre scale on it and it depends on where you count as the top and the bottom Very Happy Just like a lot of other resorts... We were once sat in our hotel in Schladming looking out the window at heavy rain that had been going on for 48 hours, with the TV showing the tourist channel stating it was snowing down to 800m!
snow conditions
@HutToHut, might that be because Schladming is at 700 metres? wink
ski holidays
745m and it was still rain on top of the Planai. Actually it skied OK and the snow held up remarkably.
ski holidays
@HutToHut, in that case the tourist channel really were telling a big porkie!
latest report
@HutToHut, I actually believe all together Nassfeld got 120cm snow this year Smile There were few batches of snow, but whole bunch of rain all the way to top. So cumulative, I believe 120cm could be close to accurate. But I don't think cumulative numbers matter in such cases Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy