Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering where and what skiing is like in December and the best time to book. My guess it is best to wait and see where the snow falls and go from there, but is it generally a busy or quiet time?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sparkygirl, it depends on where you go. I've been to some places and had great snow, or others and had next to none.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to Banff this last year on 8th December, all the locals were saying it's not to good but I have had worst in Europe in Jan. Was very good but cold.

I am thinking of Are for this years. Anyone got views on this Resort in December?

Hi & welcome Sparkygirl,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick_C, Are is a hell of a long way north, so at that time of year you wouldn't get a lot of daylight.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pre-Xmas can be great, and very quiet, this pic was taken at Val D'Isere opening day, late November

As you say, booking last minute is the way to go IMHO

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That looks fabulous. I am new to skiing this year and have got the bug big time, I just can't wait to get back out there and take some more lessons. I was thinking of Dec, Jan & March 07 Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sparkygirl wrote:
...have got the bug big time, I just can't wait to get back out there...

You've come to the right place! Welcome snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sparkygirl, welcome!
Like you say, the best thing to do is wait and decide near the time where the snow's best. You can get epic conditions at that time of year as wherever the snow is, it tends to be reasonably fresh. Pretty much everywhere is dead quiet until Christmas, so you'd have no trouble booking a hotel/flat/etc as hoteliers will do anything to get you in early season. I had a brilliant trip to Les 2 Alpes in early Dec just gone, and although I booked the flights early to get them cheap, my faith was repaid with top to bottom coverage and lots of lovely powder. On-piste was beautiful, but off-piste was largely baseless powder so I trashed my skis, but that was my own fault! I had expected snow down to about 2100m when I decided to go, but was delighted with 100% cover - even getting up the hill to the town in the car was touch and go, but we made it. The town was really quiet and pleasant without the chav contingent or the one-week a year holidayers. The days are pretty short then, but you can't beat a full descent from the glacier to the town under the setting sun on a deserted mountain.
In my view, early and late season are the best times to ski. Both have their potential drawbacks in terms of cover, but if you can pick and choose, you'll get resorts almost to yourself and conditions can be fabulous. I'm off out again on Monday for 9 days - happy days are here again, shoobedoobedoo. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sparkygirl,

welcome! Are we related?

I'm also a big fan of early and late season. I often go to Zermatt in late November, if there's good early snow it's fantastic and if not I can always amuse myself for a few days on the glacier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really want to go NOW!!! but unfortunately due to committments I will not be able to go again this season hurrumph!! if I could I would be on a plane tomorrow. Does it get any better??? I seem to have acquired a bad case of post ski depression upon my return in March and the only thing that appears to help is visiting this website and looking at brochures! god I sound so sad....... Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
Sparkygirl, there's always summer skiing. A beautiful morning up on the glacier followed by an afternoon by the pool or on an mtb or whatever. It's not a "proper" ski holiday but it's great in its own right.

I've been to Stubai in Austria and L2A in France and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Back off to L2A in July, helps bridge that annoyingly long gap between winters Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, how much does it cost, i.e. lift passes etc.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Nick_C, lift passes are about €30 for the "full" day, about 7.30am to 1pm, it's about €5 cheaper if you start after 9.30am. A pass for a week includes the swimming pool and a certain number of goes on the summer luge (which is excellent).

easiski's lessons are €10 cheaper per hour as well !

Accomodation is much cheaper as well, you can get a really nice 2 bedroom appt for under £500 for a week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sparkygirl, Definitely think about summer skiing, and also look on the "Snow Events" forum for the Mondial (otherwise known as the PSB) which is a break in late October. Most Snowheads will probably do 4 days as per last year, but the resort is open for 10! don't worry about sounding sad - most peeps on here are equally sad! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied Banff/ Lake Louise on 29th Nov 2004. Loads of snow
ski holidays
Sparkygirl, glad you got the bug. Yes, try summer ski-ing if you can get lessons with easiski, who is a fantastic teacher. As far as December is concerned, Tignes/Val D'Isere would usually have snow but were rubbish in December this season, so wait till last minute. I skied Tignes in early December on a course, and the snow was fine, though only parts of the resort were open (still plenty though, as lessons don't need a lot of slopes!). I have also done a last minute days in Meribel in mid December, because snow was great, though again not a lot open (e.g. three valley links were all closed). A last minute booking is definitely the best bet.
snow report
Nick_C, don't go for Are in December.

This season it was green up until just before Xmas. They also never open the upper half of the resort until February - 27th Feb this year. It's very limited without that top half.

But a great place to go in March, or for a final April trip.
ski holidays
Sparkygirl, for the last couple of years we've booked BA flights for a long weekend flying to Geneva and then just headed for the snow. Had some great skiing in Chamonix/Courmayeur and La Thulile and there are plenty of other places within an easy drive on GVA.
latest report
JimiHendrix, as bad as that Sad
I thought it had a long season.

I will start to look at the end off the year, I still got the eosb to go so that will keep me happy for while Very Happy
snow report
Nick_C, I think a lot will have to do with guaranteed lack of light, as well as possible lack of snow.
latest report
I've had good early trips to:
Whistler
Breckenridge
Stowe

I've had bad early trips to:
Saalbach
Val d'Isere
Whistler (well, it was bad for 3 out of 6 days)
Breckenridge
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy