Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport to use or not to use

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I was thinking about flying to Grenoble to get to Tignes in March as the schedule times are kinder but the google reviews are awful about excessive waiting times.

I usually fly back from Geneva but it would be a unruly early start to the day and would prefer not to be leaving at 5.30am.

Just after some first hand experience on using Grenoble.

Muchas Gratias
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used grenoble and Geneva in equal measure over the last 7 years. From a delay point of view there is no difference. Grenoble is very basic, not surprising as it really only exists as a commercial airport for 40 days a year, bar the odd Ryanair flight midweek in the summer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jason.peter1986 It's not waiting/delays; it's queues.

It really is a case of;
Arrive - find the queue to check in
Check in - find queue to get through for Security (it's not difficult it's huge)
Security done - Passport control queue

And that's on a Sunday.

Personally - I now book to go through Geneva!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve been using Lyon for past couple of years. Biometric passport readers, no need to queue for passport control on way out. Proper airport facilities. Absolute bliss.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought the big prob with grenoble was that it got shut down with fog an awful lot?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't that Chambery?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally, I try and avoid Grenoble. As others have said, when flying from there you just go from one queue to another. I've had even worse experiences of landing there, where we've been walked from the plane in the pouring rain, then queued outside in the rain for passport control, as there is very little space inside. The hold baggage had also been left out in the rain, and not all bags/suitcases are waterproof.

Getting up earlier is a small price to pay for avoiding Geneva (which closes more often than Grenoble, but is still far preferable).

Looking for flights from Lyon is a good call. I've flown there a couple of times and it's far nicer than either Geneva or Grenoble and not that much further.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jason.peter1986, I find the differences between airport options near the French Alps greatly exaggerated.

If the timing is convenient and flights available from my preferred UK airport, at a decent price, then I wouldn’t hesitate to use Grenoble.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lyon has been nicely upgraded over the last couple of years. Quesyjet refused to allow any check ins outside 2 hours of flight, that can be a pain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grenoble is rarely affected by fog, it has approach aids to a standard of quite a few UK airports, i.e. you can land with a 100 ft cloudbase and 300m visibility.
Geneva dies have a zero zero capability for landings but as it is so busy delays ensue as the flow rate is reduced to allow greater separation between aircraft to meet the safety criteria.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having used it last year to get to Alpe d'Huez...we're using Geneva to get to Alpe d'Hez this year.

There's nothing WRONG with it per se, it's just as others have said it's tiny and has all it's flights in a 4 hour window.

Arriving:
Passport control is tiny and, even with the extension tent not big-enough to take a full plane worth of queuing passengers...and at least one more flight will have landed before the last person from the previous flight has cleared through! Dress warm, dress for rain.

Departing:
We had one of the last flights back, but with only 2 Bens Bus transfers per-day were dropped off well before. Much like passport control on the way in there are only check-in desks to handle two or three flights at a time - and only enough gates to handle the same. This means we initially had to hang out in the (heated, but not sure how well it would keep that heat if it ws cold/windy outside) pre-checking gazeebo, waiting for check-in to open for our flight. Thankfully the rest of the queues had gone by the time out turn came around but for the earlier ones it was:
1. Wait in pre-checking tent till checkin opened.
2. Queue for check-in.
3. Wait to be called to join the pre-security queue queue.
4. Join pre-security queue queue.
5. Get released to join the security queue.
6. Queue for security.
7. Wait at gate to board.

And that was on a day of calm, clear skys across Europe, so no delays due to late arriving flights, etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arriving at Grenoble isn't too bad as you have the "holiday excitement" to get you through. You will queue (a bit of it outside as well, so sucks in bad weather) to go through the two passport control desks.

It's the going home that is the worse. I've not been there were it hasn't been rammed, with no seats available. And once you go through security, unbelievably it gets worse.

I would always now chose Lyon over Grenoble. It's actually like a proper airport, with actual facilities designed to cater to more than 15 people at a time. And it's roughly the same time/distance as Grenoble.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would avoid Grenoble if at all possible. On our way home at Easter 2018, we arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs before the flight. We were still in the security queue 45 mins after the flight was supposed to have departed - we spent almost 4 hrs in queues of one sort or another (they held the flights for everyone which was about the only positive thing).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grenoble Airport is a tiny, part-time box in the middle of a field run by yellowvest maniacs.

Prepare for delays, lost luggage, and cr*p service.

Other than that, all good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd avoid Grenoble airport like the plague! It simply cannot cope with the peak volume. Probably my worst airport experience ever on the return to the UK. I will never travel via this airport again.
latest report
Arriving there isn’t too bad, as said, you have holiday excitement to get you through - but the departures experience is horrendous. Huge, huge cheque-in queues and then ages to get through security. The airport simply can’t cope with the number of flights.
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:
Arriving there isn’t too bad, as said, you have holiday excitement to get you through...

Humm, I'm not sure how long my holiday excitement would hold up standing on the tarmac in the outside part of the passport queue if it was bucketing it down with rain. And if you had children in tow...
ski holidays
Went through there on a Saturday last year. Yes busy and crowded, but not worse than any other busy airport. Compared to Geneva or Lyon waay less walking, and a shorter transfer too.
ski holidays
skitrack wrote:

It really is a case of;
Check in - find queue to get through for Security (it's not difficult it's huge)

And that's on a Sunday.

And that's different to GVA?
snow report
Mjit wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
Arriving there isn’t too bad, as said, you have holiday excitement to get you through...

Humm, I'm not sure how long my holiday excitement would hold up standing on the tarmac in the outside part of the passport queue if it was bucketing it down with rain. And if you had children in tow...

I think the people who found their hold luggage wasn't waterproof and hence had wet ski gear found their holiday excitement was insufficient to counteract it as well.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
skitrack wrote:

It really is a case of;

And that's on a Sunday.

In my experience of both, yes it is.
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude
Quote:

Oh yes

Been flying back Sleazy Jet on Sunday Morning from Geneva - Queue for baggage drop/check-in less than 10 mins. Queue for Security about the same (and that's with the failure of our Priority Boarding "ticket"). The comparison below is also on a Sunday morning

At Geneva - Total less than 30minutes
At Grenoble - make that at least 2 1/2 hours

Skitrack
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
skitrack wrote:

It really is a case of;

And that's on a Sunday.

At Geneva you just queue for things.
At Grenoble you queue to get in to queues for things!
snow conditions
I've used Lyon, Grenoble and Geneva three times travelling back to Edinburgh in the last month and quite a few times over the last 7 years.

Geneva -
Pros - Good range of flights at a reasonable cost.
Cons - Everything just expensive from travel to get there(public & car), once you are there food expensive, car parking expensive, vignette rip off, lack of plug points/USB compared to Edinburgh. Passport control on way back was a joke(at the end of the escalators as on a easy jet flight) only two police checking passports, oversized luggage can take an age to come through.

Lyon
Pros - Good access, new terminal excellent with more '10 min free' spaces.
Cons - Security took forever on way out as so many trays had to be rescanned.

Grenoble
Pros - Proximity to Alpe d'Huez etc. Cheaper for coffee! Smaller and friendlier. McDonalds and supermarket close by.
Cons - Can get extremely busy with queues for queues.

Edinburgh was ok but too long to get through security. As I mentioned they have loads of charging points which is excellent.
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:

Grenoble
Pros - Proximity to Alpe d'Huez etc.

While geographically true there's not actually much in it time-wise.

Grenoble-Alpe d'Huez is 78km but almost all on slow roads, so 1hr 30min drive.
Lyon-Alpe d'Huez is more than twice the distance at 155km, but connected with much faster roads so only 30min longer, with a 2hr drive.
Geneva-Alpe d'Huez is the furthest, at 210km, but again a lot of fast roads so only an hour longer, with a 2hr 30min drive.

Not that we're doing Alpe d'Huez in Feb. and looked in to all the different options or anything... Smile
ski holidays
Jesus Grenoble must be bad. I've spent 90 minutes in the SleezyJet queue at Geneva before...and well over an hour in security too.
ski holidays
thanks folks all booked in geneva
snow report
I knew I'd be in a minority, but I quite like Grenoble. I've probably landed there 6 times, departed 4.

Yes, it is small and all the flights take off at the same time, but I've not found the queues to be worse than many airports. Because it's small you don't have to walk for miles until you get to immigration, or wait ages while your bags do the same distance through a huge automated baggage system. Facilities are limited, but like any airport it has all the basics covered.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy