Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone out there at the moment guys? How’s it holding up?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just left today. Still great conditions and even on busier days (Sat and Wed) conditions were good. Little bit icy higher up (as no fresh snow for a few days) and getting slightly slushy on some lower slopes (was 15 degrees in lower villages yesterday) More snow due this week so I would be very optimistic for anyone heading out. This was my first trip with very little fresh snow before I arrived and I was really pleasantly surprised. Would highly recommend Les Carroz as a location for family ski trip
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope for some fresh stuff before next Saturday. J2SKI says it’s coming......

Fingers crossed!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just viewing the webcams and it looks like there’s been rain overnight. The run into 1100 Esserts looks completely trashed!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like a beautiful day today on webcams. Looks like they are doing a good job keeping the pistes covered. Bottom of Sairon into Les esserts looks better today. Any fresh snow?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowmam, it was getting to the point where it couldn’t look much worse before closing it! Let’s keep fingers crossed that the forecasted rain arrives as snow
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
much colder today. a little bit of fresh snow plus they've had the cannons on some places. last bit into esserts is not great but a million miles better than on monday when it was a choice between sheet ice or mud!
almost everything is open, some runs a lot more icy that others, but still great fun. lift queues are not too long, seems much quieter than same week last year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that guys. Any idea if the run down to Vercland has opened?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure, have you got the grand massif app? it tells you what runs and lifts are open at any time. doubtful though, there's no snow below 1000m.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I checked, the run down is closed but the gondola is running (can see it from my window)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowmam wrote:
Thanks for that guys. Any idea if the run down to Vercland has opened?

We were staying in Vercland last week and I would doubt it, given what it looked like then.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. We are out 6th March staying in Vercland but I guess there’s plenty of time for improvement or we’ll just have to take the gondola down. I will download the app. Merci.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone else getting angry comments from inpatient French skiers about being a 'Roast Beef'? 3 times now - and all in the awful queue back down from the Grand Massif. Never had this in any other French ski resort - but then I've never ever known queues like the Grand Massif Express at 4.30pm.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swissmiss, can't resolve the roast beef issue but I'm sure the queue for the Vercland gondola will be easier. Beer at bar at bottom and bus back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking forward to being back on the slopes of the GM on Sunday.

^^sounds like avoiding a late download on the GME will be a key strategy!
snow report
We spent mid-term last year in Samoëns . To avoid the GME Qs we used the Verclad Gondola every day to go up and down the mountain and it worked well. No Qs any evening to get down. We had a car so drove up to Verclad.
Happy ski-ing!
We are out to Les Carroz on the 29th &3b for. Few days - hope the snow holds up!
snow conditions
@swissmiss, Never had that before and I've been there loads of times. As suggested above, Vercland gondola and then a pint in the Reposette is a good call Cool
ski holidays
Just seen the whole of the lift systems on the GM is closed today as they are worried about the weather. The Tete closes fairly frequently but they must be worried if they are shutting it all.
snow report
Chariande 2 was open in the morning as I lapped that a couple of times before my son bailed as bored of the queue.

Been raining heavily all afternoon and still is now at village level. No idea where the snow line is but hopefully should be good tomorrow morning with some much needed fresh snow.

Now to see if I can get my kids up early tomorrow for first lifts.
latest report
all the lifts in morillon (except colouvrier) were open despite the wind, sairon stopped early afternoon. was snowing heavily down to the bergin lift with rain below. last pitch into esserts is wrecked again! doesn't seem to have snowed here (in esserts) overnight, might have rained, hard to tell everything is so wet, hopefully more snow came down higher up, should be a good last day with fresh snow, just a little mud to finish!
snow report
Well that was fun. A nice top up and had a really great day today. V warm this afternoon though and snow definitely getting heavier. Morning was fantastic though.

Was expecting a big queue at GME this morning but nothing. Bizarre as was busy yesterday (in poor weather). Not that we were complaining.

Lapped Chariande express and Portet most of the morning with loads of fresh stuff off the sides. Not v busy and a great day.
snow conditions
great last day. snow in flaine was great today, fluffy powder everywhere. blue skies, perfect! cloud came in mid afternoon and very light snow/rain depending where you were. below about 1400m everything gets very soft, spring-like conditions, moguls everywhere! sad to leave, enjoy your trip if you're heading here soon.
ski holidays
Looking forward to getting out there tmrw...

Thanks all for the updates, will do my bit next week!
snow report
Roger C wrote:
Looking forward to getting out there tmrw...

Thanks all for the updates, will do my bit next week!

Thank you. Look forward to on the spot updates.
snow report
Arrived this morning in Samoens. It’s fair to say that at village level and through the valley I’ve seen more snow and had colder days during summer holidays here! Well not quite but you get the point. It’s really very very strange for mid winter to be like this.
I’m assured by locals that above about 1300metres the snow is plentiful and nice. We’ll see tomorrow. For those wanting updates on conditions I will likely start a live trip report in the resorts forum tomorrow.
latest report
Got wiped out by a snowboarder today on the first pitch off tete des saix. Cracked a rib so no more skiing for me this week.

Before that had fun even though it was so warm. Snow down to about 1800 metres was v nice first thing. Below that hard pack transforming through to slush. Thermometer at Chariande express showing 23 degrees around 11am.

Also saw an out of control teenager wipe out a little girl. I stopped to help and told his Dad to slow the kid down.

Another v warm day tomorrow. I’ll be on the terrace.
ski holidays
I’m doing a live daily trip report on GM this week the link is below. It includes updates on weather and snow conditions but to save me posting in two places just hit the link for updates. cheers all
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151636
ski holidays
@Ghanny, so sorry about the rib that’s painful I know from experience. Sadly there has been some truly awful skiing by folks today, irresponsible and reckless. I’m decent enough and ski pretty much anything in reasonable fashion but today there have been a couple of points where I’ve felt I just survived in one piece and was thankful for that. Other places I’ve really enjoyed. It’s all just odd!

Get well soon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As above,
sorry to hear of @Ghanny’s accident.

After arriving in Samoens last night @10pm we spent the morning shopping and cooking as had friends coming for dinner this eve. Hit the slopes via Morillon @ 1230 and skied until about 430. Top advice (often repeated on Snowheads = ski over lunchtime).

Snow forecast for tmrw afternoon and evening. Will be rain in the village for sure but hopefully falling as snow higher up on the pistes.....
ski holidays
Thanks guys and I hope the snow delivers tomorrow for you.
ski holidays
Great to hear the reports. We are out to Les Carroz on the 28th for 4 days. Getting nervous that the snow by then will be very poor if the warm temperatures continue. Will be interested to hear how the snow is Flaine holding up as looks like we may have to spend must of our time up there! Have a good week and keep the reports coming. Hope you get some snow this week!
snow report
Out in flaine now. Snow is OK. Few icy patches and thin bits.
I know nothing is more important than H&S but grand massif seem to be total drama queens closing lifts the last couple of days. There is wind at resort which is a breeze and at the top a moderate breeze.

Link between flaine and other resorts closed this morning which made tournouline brilliant as it was quiet.

Both gondola closed at the minute.

It’s also mild so if the weather comes today it will rain unless there is a drop temp.
ski holidays
I had a feeling they were ready to use any excuse to protect any snow that'd left on pistes...
snow report
@Halowa, Links are often closed in the morning if wind is forecast, as they don't want people stuck in other resorts and can't get back, so they have to put on buses.

If it is a warm foehn wind, then you often get very violent sudden gusts, and an otherwise seemingly ok day.

Cham meteo has gale force winds forecast at altitude for today.
ski holidays
what felt like barely any wind at resort level was so strong I could barely move one day last week and that was just at the top of morillon (1900m), everything above that was closed and I can understand why. it's hard to believe how much a difference there can be between town and top. often 90% of the chair ride is fine and the last bit is wild as the wind whips over the top!
snow report
Absolutely get that. But been to the top a few times today (until the rain started at 13.00) and decided to call it a day.

At the top there was wind, but I’ve been up there when it’s been a lot lot worse.

I suppose they have to base their decisions on predictions.
latest report
Zorrac wrote:
@Halowa, Links are often closed in the morning if wind is forecast, as they don't want people stuck in other resorts and can't get back, so they have to put on buses.

If it is a warm foehn wind, then you often get very violent sudden gusts, and an otherwise seemingly ok day.

Cham meteo has gale force winds forecast at altitude for today.

And it made flaine bowl brilliant this morning. Significantly less people than normal.
snow report
And as a weather update, it’s been raining all afternoon at flaine centre. Probably snow higher up and hope it will turn to snow tonight.
snow conditions
Ghanny wrote:
Thanks guys and I hope the snow delivers tomorrow for you.
Sorry to hear about your rib my husband broke one 2 days before we went skiing one year managed a few days loaded up on pain relief. Hope the snow comes down low enough.
ski holidays
Wind gusts at Têtes des Saix were really strong again this morning. Not as bad as when they closed it yesterday afternoon. I’m quite a big bloke and a couple of gusts literally moved me whilst stood still and set waiting for wife and daughter to catch up. The chairs were swinging quite a bit. Don’t know about the health and safety side of it but it certainly was highly unpleasant. Rain is hooning down in the valley now and assume it’s the same up high as still warm. Let’s hope it cools drastically at least up high and turns to snow overnight. If not tomorrow could be grim as old grim stuff under skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy