Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
stevew wrote:
As my weekend's getting closer and arriving on Friday afternoon trying to suss buses up to the Vercland gondola, I think the navette goes past my chalet at Le Petit Saix but the bus map shows it going up past Vercland to Samoens 1600 not Morillion as per the bus timetable, can any confused local help me. I'm stopping at Chalet Marie Stuart if that helps.

Steve this is the timetable as per the Grand Massif website. The bus definitely stops at Vercland from Samoens en route to Morillon and vice versa.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jirac18, thanks, that's what I found but the bus map seemed to contradict, probably the low-res image not helping
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MattressTester wrote:
In need of someone to drag me away from my weather/snow forecast feeds, which I seem to be updating every 5 minutes. Great that we've had a big dump this week, but a bit worried that the rain may spoil my 'friends weekend jolly' in LC and Grand Massif this weekend. Skiing with an umbrella might me get my lift pass extracted forcibly by the lift staff.

I hear you! I am refreshing feed every five mins too Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great day! 40cm overnight at top.

Early on in Flaine only Tete des Verds open, but plenty of untracked lines underneath.

Then Aup de Veran, and over knee powder in trees.

Around noon DMC opened. terrible vis at top and plenty of snow drifts: first couple of runs 'interesting'.

Visibility good at around 2,000m, and loads of decent untracked pow on sides of Faust, etc.

Will be awesome tomorrow with some sun!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CosmoJo wrote:
MattressTester wrote:
In need of someone to drag me away from my weather/snow forecast feeds, which I seem to be updating every 5 minutes. Great that we've had a big dump this week, but a bit worried that the rain may spoil my 'friends weekend jolly' in LC and Grand Massif this weekend. Skiing with an umbrella might me get my lift pass extracted forcibly by the lift staff.

Snap,
We head out Saturday morning for a quick 4 day break. I check every chance I get hoping that rain disappears from the forecast
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian_86 wrote:
CosmoJo wrote:
MattressTester wrote:

Snap,
We head out Saturday morning for a quick 4 day break. I check every chance I get hoping that rain disappears from the forecast

No sign of it disappearing yet Sad
I use j2ski for forecasts - Meteo France is too depressing, always shows rain for Lea Carroz!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beautiful morning today with the pistes in great condition and still a reasonable amount of softer stuff off piste to amuse. Cloud bubbled up after lunch but visibility was still pretty decent. Snow soften up as temps rose through the day. Rain has now started in Carroz and looks like it will be falling as rain at most elevations.

For those heading out I am really not sure how that will affect the condition of the pistes, assume it will piste up OK and not freeze solid as temps are staying very mild. Maybe a local may have a better idea...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Flaine Montsoleil (about 1650 metres) it's raining this morning. Maybe it's falling as snow higher up.... Forecast says it's due to stop but I certainly don't fancy going to find out unless it stops, although staying inside on my last day until March will be a big disappointment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How wrong I was! The rain stopped at about 8.50 and some blue sky appeared. Stayed in Flaine all day. There was fresh snow higher up but the conditions on and off piste were extremely variable. However, the sun has been shining for most of the day with occasional low cloud drifting in. Although sometimes quite hard work even on the pistes the conditions were more than acceptable. So far as I could make out all the lifts were open except Gers and even Cascades was open, although I shudder to think what that must look like lower down.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good afternoon after arrived a little later than expected stayed in Sameon bowl. Bit bumpy in places but in general quite good conditions, very mild
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Better weather than expected this morning but link to Flaine closed due to high winds. Justed started rain as sat out for lunch in Morllion
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well it taind; drizzled really: most of the afternoon but found plenty to do with good visibility and only really got most at about 1630. For what might have been a write off day it was a good day in the mountains. Lets see what tomorrow brings Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at the forecast it's heavy rain all day:-(
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alexsas wrote:
Looking at the forecast it's heavy rain all day:-(

Yup. Not sure how much skiing I'll get in tomorrow., probably a few bar stops involved

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 1-02-20 22:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Day off, and watch Le Crunch!
ski holidays
Very wet in Samoens all links closed only skiing on plateau area. Probably should have stayed on bus and gone to morillion where more looks to be open
ski holidays
Given up for the day and now in La Reposette for lunch. Raining hard at Vercland and wasn't pleasant up top as I came down. Shame the run down is shut as it looks to have good cover until only a few 100m from bottom.
latest report
Just skied les carroz, and then only down to the gondola. Was very wet and spring like, with large patches of brown/wet snow on Timalets and lower part of combe. We managed about 3 hours in all, doing same again and again, using the gondola to try and stay dry (ish!!) By about 1.30pm the rain was getting heavier, and horizontal, so my arcteryx gave up and so did we............

Now really pouring down and has been all afternoon
ski holidays
@Zorrac, skiing today is either brave or foolhardy or both! Smile We stayed in all day and watched the rain from the dry, I don't think I can remember a day quite as bad as this........
ski holidays
Zorrac wrote:
Just skied les carroz, and then only down to the gondola. Was very wet and spring like, with large patches of brown/wet snow on Timalets and lower part of combe. We managed about 3 hours in all, doing same again and again, using the gondola to try and stay dry (ish!!) By about 1.30pm the rain was getting heavier, and horizontal, so my arcteryx gave up and so did we............

Now really pouring down and has been all afternoon

Well you had more vertical open to you than in Samoens. Respect at 1:30 I only made it to noon
latest report
we're heading to morillon on Saturday, so horrible checking the webcam and seeing all the lovely snow get washed away Sad
looks to be holding up on the higher slopes, but at 1100 it's a mess - do you think that as soon as the temperature drops they'll start making as much snow as they can to patch it up? a bit of the real stuff seems to be forecast for Tuesday but not a huge amount and getting less in every forecast! fingers crossed!
ski holidays
@lcd80, if it's cold enough they'll definitely be snow-making - Saturday is the start of French vacances, so they'll want everything as good as they can get it. There was plenty of water in the Morillon reservoir last week, and the only positive of today is that it will have had a topup..... rolling eyes
latest report
I think considering how much is falling out of the sky now the reservoir will overflow....its absolutely hammering it down...with lots and lots of rain, yuk!!
ski holidays
After such a wet day yesterday I didn’t know what to expect from the first day on the slopes in Les Carroz. Very pleasantly surprised - full day of skiing and pistes were in good condition. Some lovely blues to warm up on. Snow pretty cut up in the afternoon on some pistes and hard on the legs. Marmottes had skiers just standing still trying to work out how to negotiate the bumps.
Some brown patches as you ski into Morillon. Overall still good and a snow day due tomorrow.
ski holidays
Bergin was very wet at 11, so assumed Marmottes would be worse? Pistes on Flaine side in good shape.
Re bumps, essential trick is to keep hips square with fall line even as skis turn. Do that and small bumps magically disappear!
snow report
BAN wrote:
Bergin was very wet at 11, so assumed Marmottes would be worse? Pistes on Flaine side in good shape.
Re bumps, essential trick is to keep hips square with fall line even as skis turn. Do that and small bumps magically disappear!

I will try that tomorrow - thanks for the tip!
snow report
Hi guys how are conditions today? We are out 6th March so watching closely. How are things around Vercland? Is there cover all the way down?
snow report
The run from samoens 1600 down has been closed..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
35cm fresh at Flaine but DMC closed most of morning and impossible to get to top. Why can't they get their lifts sorted???!!!
latest report
@BAN, the same weather that brought the snow that we all enjoyed today also iced up the cables and there is nothing that they can do to fix that instantly. Avalanche work also delayed the start by a few minutes on many lifts. DMC opened by about 11am and was instantly busy.

Brilliant conditions everywhere, although a bit scrapey in a few places where the overnight snow hadn't been pisted and had worn away. Blue skies and wall to wall sunshine, along with perfect powder, made it one of the best days of the season so far.
snow report
Good skiing today - lots of sun. Overnight snow led to lots of moguls in the afternoon and a little icy but all good!
snow report
alexsas wrote:
The run from samoens 1600 down has been closed..

To be honest even last week it looked like you could probably get within a few 100m's of the bottom on good snow, I actually saw 2 people ski in when I was at the base; wouldn't have done it on my own skis. There were huge mounds of cannon snow waiting to be pisted.
ski holidays
@sj1608 Whilst I accept the overnight precipitation can cause ice on cables, I would expect the resort to have procedures for sorting out so that the vast majority of lifts can open reasonably on time. If that means on certain days the lifties for the main lifts have to get there at sunrise and run things for a period so the by 9.30 things are running, so be it! It was ridiculous that today late it the morning the only major lift running was the Tete des Verds.
Lots of powder, but best where wind protected last night.
Hear Ballacha was brilliant this morning, but I'd only ski with a guide.
snow report
@BAN, I may be wrong on this, but my understanding is that once they ice up, it's not just a matter of time, but that temperature plays a part, too, so just turning up early doesn't really help. Aup de Veran was certainly open by 10 when I got to it, and appeared to have been open for some time, and that gave access to the whole of that side of the bowl, along with Jade.
ski holidays
CosmoJo wrote:
After such a wet day yesterday I didn’t know what to expect from the first day on the slopes in Les Carroz. Very pleasantly surprised - full day of skiing and pistes were in good condition. Some lovely blues to warm up on. Snow pretty cut up in the afternoon on some pistes and hard on the legs. Marmottes had skiers just standing still trying to work out how to negotiate the bumps.
Some brown patches as you ski into Morillon. Overall still good and a snow day due tomorrow.

Couldn't agree more. After a DVD/beer day on rainy Sunday, we feared a bit for how much snow would be left on Monday, and although initially restricted to a Les Carroz ('Villages' actually) pass, we very impressed by the quality (and speed) of the snow. Bonus was that everything seemed to open up as our morning/day went on: Les Chars (which was the best it's been to ski on since it opened, and not as hard-packed as it often is), to Arete link, and even to the Croc Blanc at the Tete for a coffee. Super day in LC, Morillon, Samoens, and no need for us to get over to Flaine in the end. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@sj1608 Neither do I know the technical details, but can't accept there are no solutions. Otherwise it's just 'leaves on the line'!
snow report
heading out on Saturday Smile no longer worried about not enough snow, now too much / too windy, hoping we don't lose too much ski time.
anyway, can anyone tell me, if I buy ski passes on line - I already have the ski cards from last year - do I have to do anything to activate them, or will they start working first time we get to a turnstile?
thanks.
snow report
You need to link pass to card when you purchase. I find tricky as cards seem to be identified by number - so you need it on hand. Then works without further ado!
ski holidays
So if I type in the pass numbers when I pay online, that should be them all good to go?
hoping to arrive in time for an afternoon on the slopes, so thinking of ways to get ourselves ready quickly!
ski holidays
Yes. At least, works for us!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy