Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The CURSE of ‘Just one more run...’ myth or reality?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
boarder2020 wrote:
I'm yet to find someone regardless of fitness that doesn't need a few stops on the way down there first week or so.

Could be due to altitude acclimatisation?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...various friends have escalated this and said ‘...bad parenting that you didn't insist on listening to the voice in your head saying ‘don’t have just one more run...’’. Fair cop I think. My sense of guilt is mounting.

Also...although Alex says that he was experimenting on a new line through the turn and got onto the trash and rubble at the bottom of the berm, looking more extensively at the reviews on this tyre it turns out that the Continental Vertical 2.3 tyre which we put on the front only a short while ago is regarded as an unpredictable model, prone to washing out when a bit damp...

My guilt continues to mount.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both of my decent ones have been on the last run. First one was as a kid and blew my knee out going too fast on an easy run, the second was following some idiot who was clearly a better skier than me because he went diagonally through the bumps and I went straight over the top of them. I survived the first two then very quickly didn't land the third. That was the day my imaginary friend appeared after being absolutely sure I didn't bang my head and then finding the mangled Son of Evil Rabbit on my helmet. No injuries, but I'm never following Pete down anything again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2, don't feel guilty. You are enabling him with some excellent activities and at 14 he is old enough to make decisions on his own. The accident is unfortunate but you say he will recover quickly and he will of learnt a useful lesson from it. Even if it is only that he isn't indestructible.

My last run of the day was a race to get the last so lift off the day. I fell at a sharp corner in heavy snow, and was hit by the large Frenchman following close behind me. His boot hit my shin just above the top of my boot. I still have a lump as a reminder to be more careful. I didn't miss any skiing but I did miss the last lift
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, we all struggle with parental guilt. Should I buy sweets on the weekly shop, should I have brought that smartphone that my son know spends half his evening glued to. Should I confiscate that smartphone. How could I lose my child in bloody Ikea. Of course we do make errors of judgement occasionally but we are human.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, hopefully no lasting bodily damage has been done.

The biggest value l feel is in discussions as you approach future decisions as it allows the recipient to rationalise those better after tthis one. Very Happy

On the tires, they do seem to be more orientated toward puncture resistance than grip at the out edge of limits don't they.

We like Scwalbe "Nobby Nic" as tires that both hang on under extreme provocation, plus gives you great bags of warning as the limit comes into view.

Also Maxxis "High roller2" as similar to above, both under pushing corner entry with or without braking. We use these with Hope 4 pots that can really tax them but they take that so well. Hummm like a platoon of military land rover though Very Happy

Generally tested on downhill courses at Lieth Hill, North downs mtb.

Our last runs are more limited by how many times we can grind out the up bits Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski3, ...yes I am sure that’s right; consolidating the ideas from the discussion really helps in making better instant decisions in future on the hill or in the park.

Interesting, I run NNs on a couple of bikes and I agree that they are pretty tenacious - I have some folding 2.35s - I could use one of those on the front of Alex’s Marley. High Rollers are excellent, and I have one on my Alpine 160 and Stanton. I’ve got a folding Ardent 2.4 on the way but those are a bit trigger-happy sometimes - better on the rear I think, and a Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 2.4 folding arriving too - that may be a good thing. I will weigh the NN folding and the Minion. I might also put a wider rim on the front - I’ve got a wide Spank rim knocking around which True Wheels could build up. It’ll push the overall weight up a bit but is probably the right thing to do.

Re road noise, it’s hilarious when we head downhill on the road - Alex with a Halo or Hope hub shouting, the tyres howling, and me doing the same - talk about tip-toeing elephants....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Much prefer the Maxxis Minion DHF to NN's.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's the "pentagon" type knobs that I just don't like on a front tire as I feel they are ineffective. It's really surprising how small the differences are to give such a different feel too.

Racing moto-x in the past, one of my favourite tires for the rear was a pirelli pentacross, and those 5 sided knobs work really well for traction, although they were mostly orientated to effectively squeeze the terrain between opposed pairs to do that. But anything like that for the front was comparatively useless. Tye 4 sided knobs appear to me to hold an advantage for front end use.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dhf and high roller 2 on all my big bikes. Plenty of grip and don't suddenly snap out.
Have tried ardents (terrifying in the wet), hans dampfs (were fine but tended to slip when they wanted), and nn's (didn't like them at all).
Basically of 4 bikes 3 now have dhf/high roller combo, that's the dh bike and the other silly bikes.
work surprisingly well in the wet too
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@grahamt1980, ....well this thread has flushed out all the DH-ers and other cycle-oriented folk - excellent advice and and I really appreciate it. Ardent 2.4 folding is a super light tyre and I may now reserve that for the rear of the XC bikes rather than the front (along with the Hans Ds we have and the NNs). But the Minion DHF will go onto the Marley.....

...he seems to be healing really quickly....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ghost Dog wrote:
I shouted "one last run" to the boys a few years ago as they headed to the Schneekar for a cheeky glass or two of Sekt before skiing back to base. Off I went down the back run two turns in catch an edge and rip my trousers in two. I returned to the Schneekar wearing what looked like a pair of black chaps to a round of applause from all on the terrace. Never again Smile

The scene of my undoing. We were on an early evening flight, so the plan was a leisurely lunch at the Schneekar Hüt, and an equally leisurely return home. The “just one more” therefore occurred just before lunch on that black run. Left ski lifted in a pile of powder and I went down hard. The fracture wasn’t serious enough to keep me down, so, to save face, and like an absolute moron, I got the lift BACK UP for lunch Cool

Needless to say, the injuries made themselves abundantly clear over lunch - despite having anaesthetised myself with a bottle of blaufrankish.

I’m 40 next year, and I fully subscribe to the “just say no” philosophy when it comes to the “Just One More”.

LS
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another 'last run ' story .
some years ago skiing in Montgenevre with friends we were heading down having finished the day, as we approached the top of a run ( basically a dead end) but the lift was running and it is /was a great run. Cant remember the name but think it links into claviere now, ends near a road bridge .
I left the group and shot down the deserted run in a fit of bravado arriving pretty quickly at the bottom. lift is running but no sign of anyone there ! seats are still down and it was a long walk back so I got on the lift.
Half way up the lift stops !
After about 5/6 mins although seemed like 15/20 i'm beginning to realise that no one actually knows i'm on this lift , has it just shut down for the night ? its getting dark , its a long way down and not near a pylon so i'm stuck there.
After what seemed like an eternity the lift juddered back into life and I made it to the top, still not a soul to be seen and it was pretty dark by this point.
Anyway I made it back for supper having learned a lesson , or I now believe been taught a lesson. I,m sure the lifty was down at the bottom somewhere, maybe having a pee and saw me get on. Then decided to play a little trick on me.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With those strong recommendations for the Maxxis Minion tires, looks like we'll have to try some ourselves.

One of the aspects of NN tires is the open pattern as we frequently encounter clay based surface, and when it's sticky they clear pretty effectively when spinning even at fairly low speed. Anyone any thoughts on that with the Minion?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
@robboj, surely the lesson there is to have a few less Vimto's and hit the sack a bit earlier when out skiing.... Toofy Grin Very Happy Little Angel

Yes, quite, but the more useful aspect would been to have heeded my doubts the next day. Which I have done since regardless of bedtime, alcohol consumption and circumstances. If in doubt, don't.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy