Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gosau Vs Tauplitz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been going to different Austrian ski resort for the last few Christmas, sorry not being loyal to one, eventually will settle for one of them one fine Christmas. I have been to Alpbach, Ellmau, Wagrain, came across Gosau and Tauplitz.

Resort size seems similar to both, difficulty level seems similar too, I have a 9yr old daughter who just finished her ski lesson last christmas and like to join me and my older daughter (13 yrs) we both do red, but now we have to step down to blues just so that we can accompany my younger one, which one of these two are more beginner friendly.
My wife doesn't ski but like to go around and we like to do toboganning, both of them seem to have tobogganing/sledging not sure which has better or guranteed snow for christmas. In Wagrain I was lucky to visit Jagersee a frozen lake during last Christmas, fascinated by frozen lake I thought of Gosau (Gosausee and other two little ones) but unsure of accessibility during christmas. Looking at the maps and pictures I see Tauplitz also has a lake not during summer months, how about in Christmas , can we walk to these lakes?

We generally stick with 6-8 routes, does either of these have good enough routes to keep two different levels of people busy.

My wife likes to stay in small pretty Austrian villages to keep her entertained walking locally and taking pictures, which among these two resorts have higher prettier rating.

many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gosau is a small village which has access to Dachstein West ski area. You can see the lake from the top of the ski area but I think it would be quite a walk from the village. Nearer than Jägersee to Wagrain though!

In terms of ski area at Dachstein West, there's not really much genuine beginner terrain, the reds are decent reds and there's a few T-bars (one of which is very steep and forms part of the main link to Annaberg). Having said that the runs down to Gosau are wide and decent, and there's a great wide motorway piste down to Russbach. There are a lot of flat sections around the top lift stations so it's not that popular with snowboarders.

I'm afraid I don"t know Tauplitz at all, I keep meaning to go there but never got round to it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, hope I can get some suggestions on Tauplitz to make a choice.

I am planning to stay in Russbach, would be driving to closest to the lakes, hope I can park somewhere near walk to the three lakes

Is it a lot of trek up and down the hills, wondering whether the 9yr old will be able to take it.

would you recommend any other resort closer to the lake on this side or eastern side, since there are better chances of snow during Christmas I recon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah Tauplitz, the name still makes me shudder!!
I busted my knee on the first day of my very first ski holiday in Tauplitz and spent the week in hospital.
Happy days!!!

Sorry can't help you Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ray Zorro, My experience is similar as I broke my arm there last March, so I also have a negative view. I can’t fault the rescue service though, as they were brilliant on getting me down the mountain to hospital. The Snowhead’s rescue service worked well for me too. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hallstadt is very pretty.

http://youtube.com/v/uIYaW60ZYVA
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to Bergfex, Tauplitz has easier terrain.
https://www.bergfex.at/tauplitz/panorama/

A few other suggestions
https://www.sno.co.uk/ski-resort/beginner-ski-resorts-austria/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can only comment on Gosau as I have not skied Tauplitz.

There is not much blue run skiing at Dachstein West although many of the reds are not difficult. The valley run to Russbach is much easier than the valley run to Gosau, especially in warmer temperatures.The third resort, Annaberg (home of Marchel Hirscher) has a decent beginner area but again mainly reds after that.

It is a beautiful ski area and we had almost deserted slopes during the week we spent there in March 2016. To ski the full area which is not very large you have to ride 3 T-bars, 2 of which are short and easy, one which is longer and steeper.

I suspect it may not be the place to take your 9 year old at this stage but I would definately recommend heading there in the future.

My 6 year son is coming on his first 'boys' trip this season to Alpendorf and I suspect Gosau could be on the shortlist again in the next couple of years.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tauplitz seems a little risky with 9yr old beginner, looking at the alternatives came across

Gossarltal / Dorfgastein
Obertauern seems like a busier and touristy place
Katschberg

any idea of these resorts, searched the site can't get much info except a couple of useful posts abt Gossarltal /Dorfgastein seems quieter, but nowhere near small frozen lake, i was hoping to impress my other half Sad
All of these seems to have toboggan runs (hopefully they are open for Christmas)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grossarl/Dorfgastein, lovely ski area and I have stayed in dorfgastein several times. Very quiet village and as you say not near a lake.
The grossarl side has better blue run skiing for 9 year old, the valley run in dorf although now a blue is most definitely not blue despite it being widened on the lower section.
Gastein valley is certainly different to many Austrian resorts and would have some appeal to non skiers but both badgastein and bad hofgastein skiing is red run skiing only.

Obertauern has good blue run skiing that would fit your criteria but it feels rather purpose built to me. I can see the attraction as it is a little higher than the norm locally but it wasn't my cup of tea.Not sure how it would work for non skiers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obertauern is good for reliable snow but is not in any way a "pretty" alpine village. It is a purpose built location at the top of the Tauern pass, it might be relatively snow sure but it can also be pretty bleak, I cant see it offers what you are looking for. Have you looked at the Hochkönig / Maria Alm area? No frozen lake though. Another place you might consider is Seefeld, the skiing is a bit limited but maybe that is not so much of an issue for you but there is plenty for non skiers and there is even a small lake and a toboggan run. My concern about any of these is how much snow there might be but that applies to most places at Christmas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to visit a place with lakes in Austria you have to go to Kärnten
Otherwise you could see Achensee (skiing in Christlum) or maybe Wagrain or Kleinarl in order to visti the fabulus Jägersee
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, I think I'll go with Grossarl from the feedback above and also from recent experience going further east seems some chances of snow in the valley during Christmas (fingers crossed), our previous trip to Alpbach was disappointment with no snow in the village until the last day (it was too late)

Might have to do a day trip to visit the lakes (gosausee) hoping to see some winter wonderland setting like this one in Jagerse

Grossarl seem quite small with few choices for self -catered accommodation, hope I have not left it too late Puzzled if any of you have any recommended places to stay, let me know I can check.

lone hut on frozen lake by Pressi Vummudi on 500px.com

from recent experience going further east seems better during Christmas

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 17-10-19 15:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't want to throw a spanner in your works but Grossarl is not especially high or snow secure for early in the season. The big plus is that 90% of the pistes can be created with man-made snow (providing the temps are low enough).

https://www.bergfex.at/grossarl/

If your choice is open to anywhere in Austria, not just Gosau and Tauplitz then I would go for Obergurgl but it's likely to be fully booked by now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy