Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More basic shock/horror

Poster: A snowHead
ajhainey, No - not one of yours!

Well - everyone seems to be pretty much with me in the belief that traversing and sideslipping are fundamental necessities that all skiers should be taught (pretty much asap) and continue to be important throughout your skiing career. I hve to confess to being pretty gobsmacked by the whole business. the odd one person perhaps (either missed that lesson or dien't bother with lessons 0r whatever), but 3 in a season is beyond belief. The two snowHeads concerned may be along in a little while to explain, but as I said -0 pne has had a lot of wht you'd think would be top tuition and it was never spotted, corrected or dealt with.

BTW I've spent most of the day on edge control - actually I spend a lot of most days on it (+ my fiendish postioning exercises of course!) NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski i guess i'll jump in here and play devil's advocate. i'd like to argue a bit merely in the most generic sense.

why do you see traversing/sideslipping as being a "fundamental necessities"? do i see the ability to engage or disengage an edge as important? certainly.

i must admit i have never spent any time teaching a student to assume a position that enables them to traverse. do i work with students to lessen edge angles and slip/slide/skid a little more in bumps? yes.

as i sit here typing i'm thinking how tough it is to "traverse" on modern skis. tip the ski on edge and head across a slope and one is going to carve......go uphill.....make a circle. on a 170 cm ski with a 15 meter turn radius there isn't going to be a very long traverse. the skis will head uphill!

in so far as sideslipping/traversing involve tipping the skis on edge or disengaging the skis as well as balancing in the center of our platform i agree. as confessed, i have never said now student or now class let's learn to traverse. have i utilized sideslipping to enhance balance and to create simultaneous edging movements? yes.

i argue merely because i'm truely interested in your thoughts on this matter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rusty Guy, I'll reply later when I have time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rusty Guy,

I agree you are just trying to be argumentive...not in hostile way, as such..but

Traversing........required when trying to maintain maximum height on the move.

If you don't teach them traversing in the sense that you know I mean, maybe your pupils should get out more because they will need it to explore .
And this pre-occupation with carving is probably wasted on them because they will not be carving most of the time...with the best intentions in the world..

Just use the edge to greater or lesser degrees, thats all you have to do IMV
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rusty Guy,

I said earlier if you can't traverse in a basically straight line on what might be hard packed/icy snow you ain't going to enjoy skiing one of the best runs at the Gorm or the off piste/unpisted runs into it or alternatively you're going to have a long walk on the board walk and up to the tow. I'm sure there are lots of other places that involve a traverse to get to the top of the run or piste, I've done a few in the alps aswell.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed...

If you can't do this

you don't get to ski this

which would be a shame Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rusty Guy wrote:
why do you see traversing/sideslipping as being a "fundamental necessities"?

If you (as in the sense of "anybody") have any sense of adventure at all (and if you don't, then why ski - take up knitting instead), you will find yourself in places where your ability to lay nice smooth turns is severely challenged. It doesn't matter whether you are a first/second weeker and this is a steeper pitch on an otherwise gently challenging blue, or a 2m wide section of a 45 degree couloir. Other people may be able to ski it safely, but you can't. What do you then do if you can't sideslip? Take your skis off and walk? - certainly not something I'd want to do on a 45 degree slope Shocked ! Not go there? - and miss out the thrill of what's either side of that tricky patch? - gimme a break! Oh well it's back to the knitting again! Very Happy

And when you get to the end of that lovely pitch you've just laid down those sexy 'S'es, you're at the top of a cliff. How do you get that 300m off to the left to the next orgasmic pitch if you can't traverse? Or if you can see that blue you've challenged yourself on is just about to turn into an icerink, but there's a nice bit of soft snow way over near the the other set of piste markers, you really want to get there rather than steel yourself for the inevitable bum/faceslide waiting for you just below you.

Carved turns may be the gourmet dish of skiing (arguably Wink ), but sideslipping and traversing are its bread and butter.

But, as a picture is worth a thousand words, Arno said it better snowHead .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i will reiterate that in my eight years of teaching full time in the USA i have never observed an instructor say to a class or to an individual..........."now we are going to work on or perfect our traverse"

perhaps it's because all our terrain in colorado and utah is very flat Blush
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rusty Guy wrote:
i will reiterate that in my eight years of teaching full time in the USA i have never observed an instructor say to a class or to an individual..........."now we are going to work on or perfect our traverse"

perhaps it's because all our terrain in colorado and utah is very flat Blush

Whereas in the eight years that I've been skiing, whenever I've taken lessons, we've worked on the traverse - whether I've been on a week long ski school or an hour's private tuition
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find it impossible to see how one can learn to ski without traversing or sideslipping. I suppose if you always ski in your 'comfort zone', you might never need to position youself more favourably on the slope with a nifty yard or two slip downhill to avoid a rock or an unfriendly looking bump or whatever, but I certainly can't do it. Traversing seems absolutely unavoidable unless you just turn, turn, turn all the bloody time. I quite like to relax a bit and traverse across the slope to give my muscles a break, and that's quite apart from traversing to actually get where you want to go. What happens when the bar is across the other side of the piste and level with you? It doesn't bear thinking about.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its not like traversing is the hardest skill to learn Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond,
Quote:

What happens when the bar is across the other side of the piste and level with you? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Laughing

In that case, can I suggest some extra tuition to cover aspects of foresight and planning Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno,

Picture paints a thousand words..... Laughing

Or as we say...stay high.....and drop in....!!!!!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 6-04-06 13:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See, there are two separate things here:
1. Traverse
2. Side slipping

I remember learning to traverse - putting both skis (which were fairly straight) on edge, and going straight across, or slightly down the slope.
If you were to do that now, the same move, on a ski with a reasonable sidecut, the ski will go up the hill - that's because of it's shape (the exception being if you are so light or the ski so stiff that the ski does not flex under your weight, then you could do a straight traverse on just the tip and tail of the ski).
So, it is impossible to teach a traditional traverse on modern shaped equipment.

But, what you can teach is holding edges, and releasing them, so that someone can get across the slope while still having speed and direction control. Side slipping is part of that process, but the whole process is just about using both skis, and getting them to work together.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,

As I said " stay high and drop in..." or what do you want to do, keep those skis on a perfect edge...its a no-brainer
latest report
JT, true, but the traditional traverse was about keeping the skis on edge, which I think is why it's not a key element in teaching.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, JT, You have both raised the question for easiski to answer is traversing on carving ski a bit of both techniques, so like all good teaching methods you must know the basics of both methods to be able to combine them. Just my opinion of course rolling eyes
snow report
blytht, my point is that you CAN'T teach the old method on a shaped ski, but you can teach edge control, and with that, you can make what resembles a traverse, but is actually a series of very slight turns, which are mainly skidded.
snow report
It's very discourteous of easiski to be out working or somesuch when this thread clearly needs her urgent attention... wink
snow conditions
DavidS, totally!
latest report
blytht,

I don't care.... you can spend all your time talking about it, I just say, do it.

It, being skiing. Anything else is navel gazing IMV
snow report
I quite agree that the way in which carvers work suggests that they should turn uphill when you traverse, but this doesn't seem to be a practical problem. I think that it's a question of where your weight is front-to-back (from a recollection of what I do when traversing).

Old style 'straight' skis were not straight, of course, and I don't remember describing a graceful arc on those, either, even on a long traverse.

As for easiski, these people who live in ski resorts yet can find nothing better to do than go out skiing, eh?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 6-04-06 15:46; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
JT wrote:
you can spend all your time talking about it, I just say, do it.

Somewhat ironic statement from someone with 3000+ posts on skiing-related discussion site!
snow conditions
DavidS,

Gotta admit, almost quite funny but a cheap shot when your contribution to this thread is, what.... zip..??
ski holidays
Was only kidding JT, no offence meant - "almost quite funny" is what I aspire to though...
snow conditions
DavidS,

Its me, I'm grouchy today...apologies.. Laughing
latest report
You can't but help get grumpy when you talk about skiing technique, because as we all know its the practising that counts Laughing

Get on that slope and hey presto, it all comes together.

11 working days to EOSB................................... snowHead
ski holidays
blytht wrote:
You can't but help get grumpy when you talk about skiing technique, because as we all know its the practising that counts Laughing

Get on that slope and hey presto, it all comes together.

11 working days to EOSB................................... snowHead

Not sure whether it's 9 or 10 for me - I still haven't worked out what I'm off for easter...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure I got taught to traverse at some time in my ski life, I find I do it a fair bit now, as Arno pointed out, to get to the good stuff, and as JT will agree it's a necessity in places like Gressoney, hence the reason boarders don't like it there Very Happy

I certainly have no thoughts about traversing with "carvers", if I start slowing down, I point them further downhill, end of problem Very Happy and no navel gazing involved Wink

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
This is a fascinating read, I wasn't taking the piddle (well not completely) when I said learn to board since both these skills are innate requirements of the sport and whilst we may not be able sidestep up a hill while traversing, froghopping up gives us much better abs (or in my current case - more likely a hernia). But I'm slightly perturbed that since you're all calling it a basic skill . . . just how far do you have to refine it Shocked
It could be my boarding background, but sideslip edge control and using a varying edge angle to hold a true direction while tracking a traverse just seems natural on skis but 'cos of this thread, I'm a bit worried that I might be as cack at it as I've been portrayed rolling eyes
snow conditions
I skied at Christmas with friends who were at ski school (Red Devils in Kitzbuhel) on their 2nd week on snow. They could traverse from day one quite easily (& pretty well) but they needed to be taught how to side slip.
snow report
Now that I'm back behind the computer I can address the question raised by Rusty Guy,. Some seem to have confused the term traversing (to go across) with a certain style of traversing as taught in the back yonder days. The whole point about traversing is that you learn to go across the slope without necessarily losing height. If you learn to use your edges properly (which is the main point of teaching traverse these days) you can also choose to lose height by releasing your edges. Using the traverse is an easy way to hone these skills at all levels. However from the novice/beginner standpoint it's essential as they will need to traverse to get comfortable before their next turn. Case in point my frightened lady today (day 4), learning traversing and edge control day 2 on the nursery slopes, frightened yesterday by having to do it on a slanting slope in the village today skied the easy blue on the glacier (Puy Salie) with no problems at all. Nice little traverses and sp turns on fab snow.

Now, I use traversing to teach edge control, for both beginners and more experienced skiers (also using traverse for all the balancing exercises I do) - all these would be much too hard, and too many things to think about if tried during a turn. Sideslipping is an extension of traversing in that it's also about edge control, but as has already been mentioned will get you out of any trouble. If you can hold a straight line on a traverse on a gentle slope on carvers, then you can control your edges. I feel that learning edge control is really what learning skiing is all about. Without it, you're just dangerous! Shocked

there was a system called Direct Method which we had to demonstrate for our Grade 1s back in the day. Ali Ross was a great exponent. That was fine for his clients, but then terrain selection is all important if you teach continuous turning. He did it no probs, but lesser instructors (and I've seen videos) tried and found that when their clients got onto terrain that was too steep all hell broke loose because they couldn't traverse

Now Rusty Guy, it may be that your terrain is more condusive to continuous turning than ours, or it may be that American skiers are less likely to go off onto a slope that's too hard for them against your advice, but I would be shocked and horrified to hear that neither traversing nor sideslipping were taught by PSIA teachers. Actually I don't believe it!

When I get round to it at the EOSB I'll try to upload some photos for you to see why we traverse .... BTW I do it every day on the way to any beginner classes - we have a lovely traverse across to the middle of town, and if you can't hold your edge, you end up down at the bottom of the hill and have to walk! Shocked You can look at the videos of the glacier from the PSB on my media zone. You may also spot some other photos of the resort .... Very Happy Very Happy

Arno Fab fotos
ski holidays
What about the good old 'kick turn'. Does anyone get taught that now???
My Dad taught me that with mastery of traverse, sideslip and a kick turn you could get down anything.
20 years later, I reckon he was right Very Happy
ski holidays
What's this nonsense about 'carvers' turning uphill if you try to edge and traverse. Puzzled

Well, they will if your going very fast and tip 'em right over ! But, you don't do that when traversing. If you are traversing across a steep slope and have no edge applied then your skis will drift down or even turn down the slope as well as going across. You therefore apply enough edge to maintain your altidude on the slope. Too much edge and they will start to try and climb uphill and you will stop, because going across a slope does not put enough speed on to be able to go uphill. If you a ARE going fast then you are not maintaining altitude properly, because speed is only picked up by allowing gravity to take you down the hill.

It's all about trying to find the balance between the edge hold and the sideways movement. Sideslipping is a similar skill but you are deliberately allowing the skis to loose altitude sideways. In a tight place all the movement will be sideways, with no horizontal progress at all.

However, lessons I'm not sure are needed, as I think most people will do all this fairly automatically, when faced with terrain that needs it.

It's the 'poo-poo this looks tricky' thought, that makes you look round see someone else sideslipping or traversing, and copy them scenario. That's how I learnt it. Very Happy Hell, I'd still be standing on my first mountain if I hadn't sussed it! Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 7-04-06 13:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
i asked four full certs in our locker room whether they had spent any time in the last decade teaching a traverse. the answer was no. i guess one older pro explained it well. he said. we used to turn-traverse-turn. now we are essentially are turning all the time.

do we teach students to balance on the outside ski with an engaged edge? certainly.

you folks are certainly correct in saying we don't have any "off piste skiing here in colorado. it's all groomed rolling eyes
snow conditions
I am the snowHead that Easiski writes about. I have just returned from 5 days in L2A and 4 inspiring lessons with Charlotte. It's my first day back at work so do not have time to explain my experiences in full but basically....

Quote:

If you are traversing across a steep slope and have no edge applied then your skis will drift down or even turn down the slope as well as going across. You therefore apply enough edge to maintain your altidude on the slope. Too much edge and they will start to try and climb uphill and you will stop, because going across a slope does not put enough speed on to be able to go uphill. If you a ARE going fast then you are not maintaining altitude properly, because speed is only picked up by allowing gravity to take you down the hill.

the above sounds all too familiar!!

Both group lessons I have been involved in included a long traverse across a slope too steep for novices to ski all the way down. The first time I found my skis slipping in an 'uncontrolled' slide and ended up panicking about sliding all the way down. Ended up with bottom ski sort of parallel and top ski pointing downwards and me frozen to the spot too scared to move (instructor eventually had to sidestep all the way back up to rescue me.. he was not amused!). The second time in a different resort with a different instructor the same thing happened although this time we were skiing down the slope and I took a slightly different way to the rest and got stuck on a steep bit in the middle of two pistes... had I known how to traverse and/or side slip I would have been able to get out of trouble, however I did not have the confidence to try based upon my previous experience and again the poor guy had to come rescue me.

Maybe because I can ski a bit, the fact that I did not know how to hold a line confidently was not obvious to the instructors concerned as both times happened on the last lesson.

However the good news is that Charlotte immediately identified my bad habits and spend four (frustrating I'm sure) lessons this week on putting me right and I am pleased to report that I can now traverse with confidence and/or slide slip too. I only wish I had had another couple of days to practise what she taught, however I fully intend to return for more lessons with her next season.
snow report
Traversing and side slipping featured in my first week of lessons. The only reason I can think of for not teaching traversing would be to stop that thing where the student fails to make a turn because they are scared of facing down the fall line and just traverses into the rough at the side of the piste! Shocked

Not that I know anything, having only skied ~8 weeks.
latest report
I am not a particularly accomplished skier, but there is one thing with which I have not had difficulty; traversing, traversing and side slipping. There are two things with which etc, ... Cardinal Fang, the comfy chair ... blah, blah, blah.

No doubt my technique in both could be improved but it seems to be servicable. I learned these things yonks ago in Europe on 'straight' skis), as did my old lady. My kids learnt them during the last 8 years, actually in year one or two, I think, in Canada on carvers. I'm sure that they are very good for learning about edge control (my Canadian instructor has used them both to get us to understand how to use edge control in turns), but they are invaluable in themselves.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
richmond, wasn't expecting that Laughing
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, Then you must have knder slopes or more obedient pupils!!! Seriously, what happens to continuous turning students when they get to the steep bit of a blue run. They may not be good enough yet (probably only about day 3) to ski down it with turns - how do they get down? I want to know??? This sounds like direct method. How do you teach peeps how much edge is required without traverse experiments? How do you teach them balance exercises? (hopping, skiing on downhill, uphill, inside, outside ski and so on?) without traversing - surely you must do exercises to correct balance and achieve the "point d'equilibre? Not having skied in the States I'm astonished!!!!! And what if the restaurant is on the opposite side of a wide piste but not downhill (as already asked) - how do you get to it? With the point of balance beign so much more important on the carving ski than it was on the straights, what exercises do you do to help peeps achieve it?

Dave J, I only teach kick turns when asked to nowadays - useful but uncomfortable.

beeryletcher, contrary to what you think, most peeps don't do it automatically! most peeps turn their body up the hill, instantly losing their edge!!

Now, I pose this question: The PSIA seem to be out of sync with everyone else - why? Is it because of the nature of american skiing?

Oh ---- I'm going to have fun with WTFH Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bridgit Jones, Glad you got back safely - sorry you're back at work! Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy