Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More basic shock/horror

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob,

Can't imagine that it would be any different, in fact I remember the Wall at A-Basin to be exactly a long traverse in, as
with so much mountain terrain.
We are just wondering why some US teachers don't appear to see the need to teach it
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, it's different because we have just one edge and you need to be much more in control of it and weight distribution to keep to an accurate track across a traverse. If you drop too low it's much more effort to get back up to the right line.

I'm still gobsmacked at the animosity voiced about its place in the teaching/learning pantheon of skills. Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque,

Sorry, I wasn't clear.. I meant the difference between Europe and US terrain and the need to traverse to it.
A traverse over mountain terrain is a traverse. I am aware of the difficulty boarders have in certain instances.
On a 65k route, some very good boarders left 90 mins ahead of us but we caught them up in the trees traverses and there is no way we would have done that on a downhill, in fact they would have extended the lead there.

As for the animosity, it doesn't matter to me as such, but I do think people need it and if they have lessons, I'm just surprised it wouldn't be covered somewhere. I think Rusty Guv played Devil's advocate and copped this lot...rightly or wrongly
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going to stick my oar in here and also say that there is a tone of aggression and animosity - coming from easiski's direction (Sorry Charlotte, it's similar to the wrong foot we got off to earlier this season).......

I fully agree with the need to develop edging skills, and personally I look upon traversing as one of the many ways to help refine this skill.

Do I take students out specifically to teach them how to traverse? Probably not.

When we are out skiing and we need to traverse across the top of a bowl, do I mention anything about the finer points of holding a line in a traverse, which ski to balance against, and hand position? Most likely.

I don't wish to create a PSIA/CSIA/BASI teaching methodology divide. Good skiing is good skiing, good teaching is good teaching irrespective of the system used.

I too am intersted in the various different teching methods and tactics used around the world, but personally I wouldn't go on the attack to find out about it....... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, no worries Little Angel I think it's bloody obvious that wherever we go to play, at one point or another we're going to have to execute a traverse and since this is for most people a slower speed control or safety orientated skill it's probably one that should learnt/taught in our early days of the sport or instruction and then refined as terrain and other skills progress. What the hell are these people arguing about?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, that seems self evident to you, me, JT, easiski etc, but not apparently to everyone.

veeeight, I think she's just asking simple questions, really very politely, and is clearly interested in the answer. I'm wondering whether she's going to end up rivalling Paxman's count before getting any of them answered! Any aggression (albeit gentle, I hope) is coming primarily from me Wink .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am neither an instructor nor a great skier. But this is an open forum and an interesting topic so here goes...

It seems to me that traversing is about edge control ie. edging efficiently enough that you get to the other side of the slope (or wherever it is you want to go). Once you know how to use your edges, surely traversing comes natural ie. tweeking the level of edge hold accrding to the terrain you're traversing across?

Having said that, in my first week of lessons - my 3rd day I think - we got to an area where the instructor wanted us to traverse across. He said words to the effect of, "We need to traverse across this section. To do that keep your weight on the downhill ski." Something like that anyway. And that was it. This was in Meribel by the way. I personally have never had a problem traversing. In fact, I was probably one of the one's who found it difficult to get out of "zig-zagging".

Re side-slipping, this was covered in a private lesson in my 2nd week of skiing. It took 2 minutes or less to explain and is not complicated IMO, but obviously needs practice.

Quote:

There's a drill I use to dial in my edge controll. The best way I can explain it is to face one way across the hill while dropping vertically in a side slip. Then turn 180 deg while keeping any horizontal movement across the hill to a minimum. Imagine a corridor down the hill ca 2m wide and try to stay in it while dropping down and turning.

DB, Rusty Guy did work with me on this when I had a lesson with him back in January. Very helpful tool.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, I don't think I'm being either agressive or displaying animosity. Rusty Guy (who I frequently agree with), posed some questions as devils' advocate. He then went on to basically say that he and some of his colleagues at Winter Park don't rate traversing as important. I asked a large number of questions about how he does/achieves certain things with his students without using traverse exercises etc. Most of these questions have not been answered. He asked questions and I sat down and answered them. I also explained a fair bit about how I teach and how it fits in, and asked several important (I thought) questions about students going off and ending up where they shouldn't. I NEVER suggested he overterrains his students - it's all about what they do after their lessons as beginners. + for more advanced skiers we, in europe atre using traverse exercises more, rather than less.

I am indeed very interested in how they do things without resort to traverse exercises, and if you look back at my posts you'll spot loads of questions... maybe too many to answer all at once of course.

Just today I had a young german boy on his first day (1 day at a snowdome) before. He did brilliantly for the first lesson, I took him up to the first level where there's a nice green run and told him to practise there and told his friend that he could also take the boy on a little excursion round a nice flat path. I told them both EXPRESSLY that the blue run at that level was too difficult for him - what did they do? Go on the blue run of course! So tomorrow's lesson will almost undoubtedly be used to undo the damage this did. It sounds as if this doesn't happen in the States - I'm curious as to why? Is it the nature of the runs, the nature of the students, or the nature of the lessons (are they all day?) I fail to see why I'm considered agressive for asking, and re-asking if questions are not answered. rolling eyes

Alan Craggs Of course at Aldershot you can learn to traverse the concrete steps, and Sandown contains a very jolly, fence/bush/horse walk combi traverse! Laughing

With regard to the necessity of traversing at a higher level, I got the aim a bit wrong going down the top of the Grande Pente with my ace kids this pm and we had to traverse to get to where I wanted to be - across a pretty steep slope (around 40 at a gues, maybe a bit more). Good soft snow though, but no probs behind me. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My personal hate is cocking up picking a traverse line, loosing height and having to sidestep up in the sun whilst puffing, panting and sweating like a gym virgin on a rowing machine Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't what we're talking about here, approaching the same problem, just from two different angles.

For easiski traversing is a very important teaching technique and the skills that you learn traversing can easily and effectively be applied to skiing steeper slopes down the fall line (as I can testify from personal experience).

Rusty Guy seems to be espousing the reverse approach, in that if you learn to complete your turns properly with proper edge control, then traversing follows naturally from that, which seems to lead to the same outcome. (I've no direct experience of Rusty Guy's teaching, but testimonials say that he's really good)

Surely if both methods give good results, then there's more than one way to skin a cat? Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, b Absolutely, but until these different ways are explained, I can't understand how it works, and how it saves people like Brigit Jones and Finnbob from nasty experiences. Also, how you learn edge control within the turn which seems to me to be much harder... loads of questions - am I wrong for asking?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski,

No, I don't think so, although the headline might suggest it, its not as though you are decryimg someone else' practises' as such, just the thinking behind it. Most of us are bemused and whilst I can see the desire to turn 'everything', sometimes its just not possible, and even more so for less experienced skiers IMV.

It appears to me to be, 'well how do you guys approach this with respect to that?' And we still don't really know. So we might conclude that either US skiers are rigously supervised or just don't venture out themselves outside their skiing comfort-zone.

From my POV this perceived approach seems very limting to say the least. Maybe there is a litigation issue in the background somewhere...???

I've never been told I can't go here or there and I've always accepted it is my own silly fault, or not, for doing such and such a thing whilst skiing. But people must always remember that people can die up there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
easiski,

It appears to me to be, 'well how do you guys approach this with respect to that?' And we still don't really know. So we might conclude that either US skiers are rigously supervised or just don't venture out themselves outside their skiing comfort-zone.

From my POV this perceived approach seems very limting to say the least. Maybe there is a litigation issue in the background somewhere...???

i'm in the midst of teaching a pretty full schedule and don't have time to respond this morning. i promise in the next day or so i'll wade in to the morass.

what i'm partiularly bemused by is the fact that in the USA we have about 20k PSIA members. in colorado there are 6k members of the Rocky Mountain division of PSIA

based upon the writings/comments/opinions of one PSIA full cert, indidviduals are making conclusions concerning "US SKIERS", "rigourous supervision", and "venturing"????

puhleaze people get a grip.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rusty Guy,

I don't have a problem with what is taught by whom so you can discount my comments if you like
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, I don't think that any differences between N.American and European resorts account for any diffeences in teaching traversing or sideslipping. If anything, the 'ski what you see' idea that a lot of (most? all?) N.American resorts kave makes traversing a particularly useful skill, as you can set off across any bit of snow that's not roped off to get to somewhere you want to be, and I'd be astonished if N.American skiers weren't taught it one way or another.

I have not been aware of supervision at N.American resortsexcept in 'slow skiing zones'; there is no more or less incentive offered by N.A. resorts than Euro resorts for skiers to go down slopes at or beyond the limit of their competence, except perhaps the 'ski what you see' idea. The need to side slip every now and then certainly exists for N.A. skiers, and I've seen plenty of people doing it in N.A.

I wonder, though, if there is a difference between the approaches taken to what should be taught. In N.America, in my experience, ski school is offered by the people who own the mountain and run the lifts and the catering and the hotels ..., and there tends to be only one ski school in town. Although no doubt Euro resorts would like to operate like that, they don't (any more). I suspect that in N.American ski schools, as in other N.American income generators, 'the customer is king'. So, if the customer wants (or the ski school thinks they want) to learn linked carving turns and nothing else, that's what they teach them; if they don't, the customer will head for a different resort that will. In Europe, the customer is not king, and ski teachers may teach what the student needs to learn (or what the instructor thinks that they need to learn). There are sufficient skiers around that if one doesn't like what they're being taught, there'll be another one along in a minute. It may also be easier for instructors to insist on teaching what their professional judgement tells them should be taught; if the ski school doesn't like it, the instructor can join a different one, or set up on their own.

This may all be balls, and my experience of N.A. ski instructing is that it is very good and seems to have taught my kids all the basics I would expect (the customer service bit - flexibility in particular - is well ahead of Europe, I think, at least so far as the big Euro ski schools are concerned).
snow conditions
Quote:

I suspect that in N.American ski schools, as in other N.American income generators, 'the customer is king'. So, if the customer wants (or the ski school thinks they want) to learn linked carving turns and nothing else, that's what they teach them; if they don't, the customer will head for a different resort that will. In Europe, the customer is not king, and ski teachers may teach what the student needs to learn (or what the instructor thinks that they need to learn). There are sufficient skiers around that if one doesn't like what they're being taught, there'll be another one along in a minute. It may also be easier for instructors to insist on teaching what their professional judgement tells them should be taught; if the ski school doesn't like it, the instructor can join a different one, or set up on their own.

This may all be balls, and my experience of N.A. ski instructing is that it is very good and seems to have taught my kids all the basics I would expect (the customer service bit - flexibility in particular - is well ahead of Europe, I think, at least so far as the big Euro ski schools are concerned).

You are very close to hitting the nail on the head here.

Whilst this is going off at a slight tangents, the CSIA at all interski events, have been held up as a shining example of a good example of teaching methodologies. As being the leader within all the various worldwide systems, of having a teaching system that really caters to the student.

In summary, the CSIA have very Student Centred teaching methods, we teach according to the students skills, and work on the missing components/skills. Every one is individual, even in a group lesson.

cf. Other systems, where it is predominantly a movement based teaching system. Bend your knees. Flex your ankles. Put your hands out. Tilt your pelvis forwards. Follow me.

(I don't wish to open yet another can of worms in an already hot topic Razz )
snow report
veeeight, Yes - I agree the CSIA is frequently lauded and cosidered very good - Level 4s are considered top bods all over Europe too (unless the person is completely stuck in their own system). However the point surely is that we all, when we become more experienced stop teaching any particular "methodology" and introduce our own varitations/exercises and so on. I imagine there would be situations where a particular ski school would insist, but not, I think in Europe. If I employed someone I wouldn't dream of telling them how to teach if they were fully qualified. Obviously I would already be satisfied with what I'd seen and their results and so on. Anyway, this is a digression (+ I never mentioned PSIA,CSIA or BASI [no longer a member]). rolling eyes

I find it hard to believe though, that if a client wanted to learn something that was not appropriate, any good and caring instructor just going along with it (I know a couple of ESFs who'll teach you anything you want, even if it kills you). I would, in this circumstance, explain why it wasn't appropriate and explain what was and why. If the client insisted I'd give them their money back! Of course I now have the freedom to do this, and it's only occurred once in 6 years.

However I'm looking forward to Rusty Guy,'s replies when he comes up for air. BTW I'm teaching 8 hours per day this week.. tooooo much. Snow heads is a welcome diversion! Very Happy Very Happy

richmond, Thanks for that - I can't really imagine that it's all that different skiing wise, although the piste maps do tend to look a little different.
ski holidays
i just took the time to re-read the thread in it's entirety.

i have to say that i think the horse has been fairly well beaten. to be quite honest, at the end of the day, a thought occured to me. there is a certain tone or tenor to the thread that i don't quite like. there is an edge to it that i find.......unpleasant.

in the end i said to myself.........."you make a nice living teaching skiing, you have been gracious enough to dispense a little free advice in the past, now folks want to disagree".

i have no desire to disagree.

see-ya!
latest report
Well, I'm disappointed not to have answers to my questions, but have PMd you Rusty. Sad
snow report
Rusty Guy, the positive thing about flogging a dead horse is that you aren't hurting the poor animal any more.
snow report
easiski wrote:
richmond, Thanks for that - I can't really imagine that it's all that different skiing wise, although the piste maps do tend to look a little different.

Yes they do, I think mainly because of the different shapes of the mountains. Although they are not particularly higher that the alps, SFAIK, they are wider, at least the valleys are. Skiing is normally on one side only of a main valley. In many areas, towns are few and far between, so there are few linked resorts a la 3V (no bad thing, in some ways). And then there's the 'ski what you see' idea, which I'm all in favour of, so that on a typical bit of mountain, you might have a blue marked down one side, a green down the other and a black or two down the middle, maybe a double black or two down a cliffy bit and some unpisted stuff off to the sides, but you can ski down the whole slope, including the unpisted stuff, moving across from easy to hard (and back if necessary). Obviously not all slopes are like that, and of course you often have to commit to a particular run, but less often than than in Europe.

The great advantage of SWYS is that it encourages you (well me, anyway) to have a bash at a run which I'm not sure about and might not start if I didn't know I could bale out if I didn't like it.
ski holidays
I have just read this thread and thought I would abandon my usual habit of lurking and put my nose over the parapet to be shot at.

I am not a good skier despite considerable effort, nor have I skied in France or US. After an initial holiday some 30 years ago I cam e back to skiing just over 10 years ago when our daughter was old enough to start enjoying it. Most of my tuition has been in ski school groups and mainly in Austria.

First the edge control. Yes I was taught traversing and side-slipping at an early stage. Do I use it now - most definitely, primarily traversing to the patch of snow I want to ski next. However, I try to remind myself of edge control sometimes when skiing over easy terrain by repeatedly flattening and edging the skis. I don't seem to use side-slipping so much these days, but just last week I came across what seemed to me to be a particularly nasty and narrow piece of piste scraped down to the hard underlayer and running between two rocky walls. I stopped for a moment and seriously considered side slipping before making the effort to do the job properly. Had I not been taught side slipping this could have been a particularly awkward moment.

However, I do think many (Austrian and probably Swiss) instructors overuse the traverse by taking their groups from one edge of the piste to the other before putting in a turn. Depending on the ability of the group, this in my view is often unnecessary, inconsiderate to other skiers (it can be very difficult to pass a slow group of 12 skiers snaking down a run), and can engender bad habits. I was definitely taught this style of skiing and never questioned it early on. It was only on a trip to Norway when a very young and raw instructor asked why I was doing this and made the point that the (long term) objective is to ski the fall line and proceded to encourage me to go for short(er) turns.

I think the point I am trying to make is that these skills do need to be taught, but the real emphasis should be on learning to turn, not on avoiding turning.

Perhaps I shall just go back to lurking.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
Rusty Guy, the positive thing about flogging a dead horse is that you aren't hurting the poor animal any more.

i just about sprayed my morning cup of coffee all over the computer screen. that is one of the funniest things i have ever heard.
latest report
Rusty Guy,

I'm sorry, I could help but laugh at the thought of coffee and the computer screen... It was funnier than DM's comment.

Again, sorry to laugh... Smile
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
Physicsman wrote:
I would note, however, that the fraction of one's "real skiing" time spent in traverses seems to drop monotonically with ability above the level of intermediate. ...
...As for the proportion of time spent in traversing dropping with increasing ability, I would agree if you restrict yourself to the pistes/groomers. If you hit the back-country though it changes dramatically. ...Last year I went on my first genuine back-country trip (6 days away from the lifts - quite staggering...literally) and I would reckon the proportions were 80% climbing, 15% traversing and 5% downhill....
That's why I put "real skiing" in quotes. I consider climbing/skinning, traversing, and anything else you might do at < 5 mph (eg, kick turns, skating) as quite ancillary and different from the ultimate goal of gracefully sliding down a mountain on slats at speed. Perhaps "real skiing" is a poor choice of words, since these activities are certainly integral to off-piste skiing, but I wanted to somehow distinguish the preparatory, utilitarian, relatively easy-to-do activities from "the real thing", even though the former are absolutely essential.

(Note: Many, many years ago, for one winter, I lived in a place where the only means of access was on skis - about a mile and 600 vert. feet. Maybe doing this twice a day for a few months forever dampened my enthusiasm for "approach" tasks. Very Happy )

Basically, in my previous post all I was trying to say that once you have completed the preparatory tasks involved in getting to the top of the slope that you intend to ski and are actually "skiing", then the fraction of time spent in zig-zagging across slopes vs making curvy turns (terrain permitting) drops with increasing skill level.

That being said, I just thought of yet another situation where I would explicitly teach traversing: with fearful skiers. I'll sometimes take folks like this on a mini-traverse around the downhill (steep) side of a "roller". I'll start by "traversing" just a few feet above where the trail levels out, but on subsequent iterations, increase the height of their traverse, showing them that they really can hold an edge on very, very steep slopes. Since their fear is greatly reduced because they can't slide very far before it gets flat, they can effectively perform the task, and gain even more confidence in their ability and the capabilities of the skis to do what they are supposed to do and keep you safe.

Unfortunately, work is calling, and the rate of posting in this thread exceeds my ability to respond. More later.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
Physicsman, "Basically, in my previous post all I was trying to say that once you have completed the preparatory tasks involved in getting to the top of the slope that you intend to ski and are actually "skiing", then the fraction of time spent in zig-zagging across slopes vs making curvy turns (terrain permitting) drops with increasing skill level."

I agree absolutely with this statement - we are, of course all seeking to learn to ski the fall line with grace and control etc. however I've been watching even harder that usual lately (I watch everything that's going on - you never know when you're going to learn something useful), and there's no doubt that the majority of ski teachers here do use traversing exercises a lot at all levels. I think we have a pretty good mix in LDA - French, Italian, British, Dutch, Belgian and the odd Slovenian and Czeck (sp).

That absolutely doesn't mean to say that we snake everywhere when it's not necessary, but with raw novices, taking them on runs it often is. This particular mountain is very undulating, and even our easiest runs have steeper spots where a one week skier would really struggle in the fall line. Actually I got cursed by an italian friend who works for the ESF today as my beginner was weaving down a relatively narrow piste and his group couldn't get past - it is the easiest green on the mountain - I was dischuffed - they could have waited 30 secs till we got to the wider bit!

We have "rollers" on our nursery slopes and they are in daily use for just what you describe (also sideslipping). Our nursery slopes at one end are over the golf course - I believe it's one of the hardest 9 holers in Europe, being to much up and down!! (the rough is really rough too).

Derek Jackson, Certainly traversing should never be used as an alternative to turning!
latest report
Derek Jackson wrote:

I think the point I am trying to make is that these skills do need to be taught, but the real emphasis should be on learning to turn, not on avoiding turning.

Perhaps I shall just go back to lurking.

Why go back to just lurking...nobody has the definitive voice on here.

The reason its a good forum is because it has so many contributors and not many trolls IMV
snow conditions
You mean this skiing across the the slope on one leg was to teach us traversing? I thought it was just another one of those daft exercises you instructors make up to keep yourselves amused.

Later that day in the ski instructors locker room ....... "well you'd never guess what I had them doing today. Right pole held against the side of the head, left arm flapping, nodding & sticking the tongue out while stamping the uphill ski and they still didn't click."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rusty Guy, mate, I am so glad I made you laugh!

And yes, the image of you (almost) spitting java over the place is funnier than my joke: albeit in a laughing with you rather than at you spirit!

If I am ever in your neck of the woods, it'd be fun I think to go for a ski.
snow conditions
Physicsman wrote:
That's why I put "real skiing" in quotes.

Yes, I guessed as much, but chose to ignore that to make my point Wink . I readily admit that this is the extreme at one end, but I would contend that if you provided something like 'carving down a piste within your comfort zone' as the definition of "Real Skiing" that would be equally far out at the other. I could probably argue that "Real skiing" is skiing anywhere on the mountain out of sight of lift or piste. However I'd probably be more successful in arguing that "real skiing" should be defined as any time spent on skis - and I'll happily conceed a "not going uphill" in that - and then the "preparatory, utilitarian, relatively easy-to-do activities" really are, as you say, integral. As in my example from three years ago, it may well be that getting those wrong can cause you just as much (or even more of ) a problem as screwing up a turn - which is the whole thrust of this thread (and which Rusty Guy still seems to be at odds with). I would also 100% agree with your point quoted by easiski.

I think I'd also be less keen on any of these 'approach' tasks with your experience, but I'm still in the fortunate position of having the zeal of the recent convert. Little Angel I'm currently looking forward to another full week of it starting on Sunday - so maybe I'll get back to you on that the week after Laughing .

Do either of you (Tom/Charlotte, or veeeight, or anyone else) have any thoughts on how to train in "recovery" reflexes (other than just mileage)?
snow report
Quote:

Do either of you (Tom/Charlotte, or veeeight, or anyone else) have any thoughts on how to train in "recovery" reflexes (other than just mileage)?

Very Happy

Ski Ugly
Ski like no one is watching you
Ski at or very near your skill level/limit (I don't mean speed necessarily)
Don't just ski trying to achieve that perfect turn all of the time.

When I'm not teaching I go incognito and ski at the extremes of my skill level. So I am edging the skis far more than I would when I am in uniform, and often something would happen that would force me to recover.

Ski ice fast and aggressively, find the limits.

I also let the pressure build up greater and for far longer than I would normally. This usuallt results in a ping, causing me to be out of position. I then have to recover to deal with it.

Try new things. It doesn't matter about the form. Like trying to ski the bumps in the ruts, tops, round turns, carved, steered, GS, all in one bump run! Set yourself a target, eg; first 3 turns on the tops, next 3 in the ruts, next 3 carved etc.
snow conditions
DB, traversing on one foot is to let you find your perfect balance position naturally. If you can traverse on either leg, while wiggling the other, turn on either foot, do hops on one foot either whole ski, front of ski or rear of ski only - then you're probably pretty much in the "sweet spot". When you're perfectly balanced you can do anything! Most people are nowhere near in a really good position, and it's this that holds them up in their progress. I did have my wizz kidz trying all this backwards yesterday.... (seriously!)

GrahamN, Do the balance exercises, get in the sweet spot and you can find it again more easily - of course there are plenty of other exercises that might help you specifically, but maybe your stance has changed since the PSB. Very Happy

veeeight, I would add, ski in heavy wet snow with frozeen tracks underneath while looking behind you - that was good training for me yesterday morning!!! Linked recoveries left and right!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
veeeight, sounds like I'm doing something right then - as that's how I ski most of the time Very Happy !
easiski, I think (hope) that things have changed - but you'll no doubt still have plenty to say in 10 days' time Laughing . Although the serious point, and the point of the question, is that while it's improved a lot when things are going right the bad reflexes still kick in when it goes wrong. Practice, practice, practice...
DB, and you thought you were joking Shocked (you've not been watching closet webcam broadcasts from Aldershot have you Wink )
snow conditions
Lots of exciting thing happen in Aldershot. Here is a webcam in Aldershot.
latest report
easiski,

I've seen Swiss instructors teach skiing on one legs etc very recently... I thought it was old school but then I wouldn't have a problem with that either... more than one way to skin a cat and all that

Its all about balance on skis in the end...
ski holidays
JT, I've had bootfitters do it too - not just going across the slope, but straight down it too (on a gentle slope), then stop, out with the Duck Tape (other brands can also be used), try a few adjustments, and repeat.
...and once they get it right, then back in to the shop for more permanent adjustments.
snow conditions
easiski,

I often play around on one ski on easy terrain although haven't fully got the hang of turning yet (especially on the insdie ski of the weaker foot/leg). Amazing how much easier ít is once you use two feet again though ... ok back to those Aldershot webcams now.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
... out with the Duck Tape ...

I use Flamingo Tape for one-legged skiing.
latest report
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
... out with the Duck Tape ...

I use Flamingo Tape for one-legged skiing.

I use Flamenco Tape for one-legged dancing.
snow report
The Abominable snowHead, Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy