Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
At least it’s not open because it’s not ready rather than to save money . It will be interesting to see whether it’s open on the quieter January weeks or if we will be queuing for Jandri Express 2.
Personally I will miss Glaciers chair lift (other than the fact it broke down continually) I fear Pierre Gros won’t be open as much as glaciers was. As generally the snow is much better above 2600m any reduction in lift capacity is not good.
Claude b it looks like you took that picture of the mountains with the pink sky from my balcony I assume you have a place at the Venosc end of the resort?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Honeybadgerversion2, Laughing Le Diable, you?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpheratz
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah ok a bit higher up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks lovely but I do see quite a lot is still unopened. Compared to Alpe D’Huez which is pretty much fully open.
I guess this weekend is Xmas arrivals (including us) Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@salsacolin, Fée is due to open Saturday, Thuit too I would expect. Vallée Blanche opened a couple of days ago.

Feels cooler in town today, snow due tomorrow I think.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today I shared the gondola up to 3200 with the chief ropes engineer for the company installing Pierre Gros he said opening 15th January if all goes well from now. So not open Christmas and New Year if he’s correct. Lifties say it might open Saturday but this chap should know what’s happening
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Honeybadgerversion2, Thanks, I'm sure you're right. I think Antoine knew more than he was letting on when I spoke to him yesterday. Will be busy next couple of weeks then, especially New Year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would imagine that LDA staff have been told to keep quiet about it . There will be a lot of customers who put up with the long lift queues last year on the promise that a new lift would be in place for this year, they may well be angry at the same situation this year. Lift queues have been quite bad at 2600m for jandri 2 this week and it will be much worse for Christmas and New Year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apart from the days it opened very late because of wind I havent found it too bad. I just stayed lower then. I used it several times yesterday and didn't wait long. The next 2 weeks will be a different matter. I'll probably ski Alpe d'huez more next week, my girlfriend is up but her season pass is for there, she only gets 5 days here.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big storm all night. Very, very strong winds, heavy rain atm turning to snow later. Can't imagine anything will open today.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Claude B, I'm officially worried Shock
Correct if I am wrong, but in the past week, 3 days everything was closed due bad weather, right ?
My plans are to ski from Tuesday until Friday, so only 4 days, thinking about the possibility of having one or two of thouse 4 days locked inside the hotel is killing me Crying or Very sad

Questions:
- I know it's difficult to say, but as you live around, do you think that the bad weather this week means that next week will probably be as bad ?
- Is there any other resort near(around 1h drive) where I can go if L2A is closed ?

I still can cancel my hotel reservation, based on your experience, which place would be the best weather this time of the year ? If there are predictions of bad weather for next week, I'm seriously considering cancelling and going somewhere in Austria.

I just checked the forecast... apparently Tuesday will still be a bad weather, but from Wedsnesday to Friday is looking good... not sure how reliable that forecast is Laughing

Any tips Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AndreSilva, Take a look at the forecasts, it doesn't look too bad. We've had some pretty bizarre weather this winter. A lot of everything, snow, wind, sunshine. The bad weather isn't just here, there is an orange weather warning for the whole of Isere. In fact there seem to be orange or yellow warnings for most french departments. I think we've been totally (or almost) closed on 2 days, last Friday and today. Some lifts have been closed on some other days. Alpe d'huez is 45 minutes away but will have the same weather. They're showing a handful of lifts open only, probably low ones. Serre Chevalier is just over an hour, they're reporting more lifts open but heavy rain and snow. The drive over the Col de Lauteret to get there today would be awful though, it's 2100m, if it's open that is.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing still this morning and a lot of cloud about which cleared about midday. I rushed up and was very pleased I did. Although a couple of lifts weren't running causing some issues it was very nice with a fair bit of fresh snow and sunshine with quiet pistes. Fée and Thuit were open. Valentine too (photo) but it was well chopped up and made the legs burn.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More snow overnight, windy again though. Snowing again now. Limited opening atm. The info on the app doesn't make much sense tbh. But from my window I can see Diable isn't running. I'm not planning to ski today anyway, need to get ready for Christmas. Much busier in town with the start of Christmas week, not too bad though.

For anyone here over Christmas or New Year. The main Avenue de la Muzelle is being made pedestrian only between 6 and 7.30pm every day between 23rd and 3rd January except Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For various entertainments, etc. Essentially no way into or out of the resort by car at these times. Madness imo.

https://www.les2alpes.com/fr/la-semaine-de-noel.html
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@AndreSilva, Take a look at the forecasts, it doesn't look too bad. We've had some pretty bizarre weather this winter. A lot of everything, snow, wind, sunshine. The bad weather isn't just here, there is an orange weather warning for the whole of Isere. In fact there seem to be orange or yellow warnings for most french departments. I think we've been totally (or almost) closed on 2 days, last Friday and today. Some lifts have been closed on some other days. Alpe d'huez is 45 minutes away but will have the same weather. They're showing a handful of lifts open only, probably low ones. Serre Chevalier is just over an hour, they're reporting more lifts open but heavy rain and snow. The drive over the Col de Lauteret to get there today would be awful though, it's 2100m, if it's open that is.

Yeah... I guess I'll take my chances, if the forecast is correct it won't be too bad snowHead
Thanks Claude!!!
ski holidays
@AndreSilva, Thursday and Friday look very good. Wednesday, sunny with a little, but not too much, wind. Tuesday is forecasting snow.
latest report
Shedloads of snow overnight, due to continue for the next couple of days. Christmas day will be awesome.
snow report
Heavy snow yesterday and overnight turned to rain in the early hours. Was heavy when I did some last minute shopping earlier, lighter now. Lots of hardy souls heading up. Forecast for the rest of the week is good, I'll wait. Alpe d'huez tomorrow, my girlfriend is up and her season pass is for there.
latest report
Skied in Alpe D'huez Christmas day but here today. Beautiful day with lots of sunshine and the snow is generally good. Due to the rain on Christmas Eve some of the lower slopes are icy, it was the same, probably worse in Alpe D'huez.

Not too busy but due to the incompetence of the lift company there are big, big queues to get to the glacier. See posts above about Pierre Grosse.

Snow tomorrow, I'll wait until Saturday which is always my favourite day to ski.
snow conditions
Beautiful day yesterday. Snow is good everywhere with sunshine and very ittle wind.

But for anyone here this week I'm afraid the queues will be very bad. I've just posted this on the Les2Alpes FB page in response to one of their "isn't it wonderful here" posts Evil or Very Mad

Et les attentes ridicules en bas des remontées. Le télécabine Pierre Gross n'est pas prêt pour la semaine du nouvel an après 8 mois de construction. Le télésiège Bellecombes est toujours en panne. Vraiment une catastrophe

But huge queues everywhere. Pierre Grosse is not ready for the busy New Year week after 8 months of work. Bellecombes is always broken down recently, all of yesterday, and many times over the last 2 weeks. Really disastrous for anyone here this week
snow report
@Claude B, Thanks for the updates, out with friends on Jan 11th for a week so keeping a keen eye on your posts.
ski holidays
@prometheus, that will be a much quieter week although Pierre Grosse isn't due to open until 15th (barring any further delays).
latest report
@Claude B, Thanks.
latest report
Was here last week. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were pretty grim although each day we did enjoy some skiing mainly in the afternoon and it was generally fine lower down. Had I been familiar with L2A and not desperate to ski the place so quickly I’d have just looped more lower runs in the morning like vallons du diable which I think is my favourite.
Wednesday we helicoptered over to AD and it was fantastic We also loved Thursday at L2A which was the the first day we actually saw the place Very Happy
Friday wasn’t so good in the morning but had some nice turns on Valentin and Vallon to Diable and also vallee Blanche in the afternoon before sadly handing the skis back.
snow report
I must admit that I wouldn't be going to L2A in any hurry during school holidays since they removed the glaciers lift, although as I'm usually snowboarding I'm glad that the Pierre grosse lift station looks as if its before the flatland hell at the bottom of the Pierre grosse blue.
ski holidays
@moody_git, It is before the 2 long schusses. Although my girlfriend did remark this week that it does ruin a lovely run which was away from any other lifts for several miles. The Clot de Chalance also now has the lift running up the middle of it. Progress I suppose Confused I'm resting today after a week of cooking, entertaining, etc as she left this morning. Oh and skiing too. She's only gone as far as Alpe d'huez for the rest of the week with her son and other family and friends. They'll be back here Friday evening to ski here on Saturday. Sunny and warm today, I think that's due to continue all week.
snow report
That's reassuring as heading that way down to the fee on a snowboard requires very little turning and I'm not sure that it would be safe with the foreseeable increase in traffic down that piste! I bet there are more than a few locals gritting their teeth as they welcome the new lift, knowing that it's going to make chalence look much more inviting to a less initiated audience!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moody_git, Exactly. I believe they've put a transceiver tester at the entrance to Chalance. I suspect they'll probably post someone there at times too.

There are 2 steepish sections down to the lift, will deter many beginners I think..
snow report
Yesterday and today were beautiful. Sunshine and the snow is still good. Queues for Jandri 2 are big (I havent bothered since Saturday) but they have a DJ playing music for the queue, so that's alright then wink Shocked No snow forecast for quite some time.

snow report
Well, I came a back a few days ago, loved it!
On 24/12 it rained the whole day, not so nice.
25/12 it was absolutely perfect, blue skies and sun shinning, got a chance to go all the way to the top at Jandri 5 all the way down to Jandri 1.
26/12 still very good weather
27/12 horrible weather in the morning, snowing and very foggy but decided to go up to Jandri 5. I'm a beginner and I have to say, go down a slope with 10 meter visibility made me poo-poo my pants Laughing Laughing Laughing After 13h it cleared a lot and the slopes were VERY fluffy, powder everywhere. For me(as a begineer), very difficult to ski, but still had fun until 17h.

I would like to thank mr @Claude B for all the help and info, I really enjoyed my time there!

Now it's time to plan another trip in the upcomming weeks Twisted Evil
snow report
@AndreSilva, pleased to help, did you find an instructor for your wife?
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
@AndreSilva, pleased to help, did you find an instructor for your wife?

I did but not in time, that one u told was booked for the next 4 days... next time I'll do it in advance Razz
latest report
Another nice day, sun with some hazy cloud and not cold except for a bit of wind in some places. I avoided the crowds and queues above Toura and skied the quieter areas. Vallée Blanche was beautiful. VB4 seems to be a black this year after being a red forever, sure it will mogul up more though.

The moguls on the Diable and Bellecombes blacks are in a different league now. Pretty big. I avoided Bellecombes as the light there wasn't good but came back via the Diable bumps.

Looking forward to a nice quiet Saturday and relative calm next week.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 4-01-20 17:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
We have just finished a week in L2A. We arrived on the 28th, it's been blue skies all week. Loads of snow at the start but the pistes were getting a bit icy towards the end, hopefully some new snow will be along soon.

Been brilliant for intermediate skiing, taking the Jandri piste from top to bottom was amazing. My 8 year old girl progressed to reds/blues this year too!

We stayed in the Auguille Lodge in village 1800, nice ski in/out location, very quiet and good for families, if a little basic.

Hope we'll be back some day!
latest report
Nice to be able to get up top without the interminable queue now that the hordes are off. Nice sunny day but very windy. Not windy enough to stop anything running but strong enough to impede progress walking and skiing. Northerly too so cold. The snow is still good but none forecast.
snow report
Went up to the very top, 3600m, today. Nice view of Mont Blanc behind the Aiguilles d'Arves. Beautiful day and lovely and quiet after last week. Good job as Bellecombes isn't running (again).

Having skied past the new Pierre Grosse lift several times I (and others I've spoken to) think; it starts in the wrong place, it finishes in the wrong place, it ruins a nice "out of the way" piste and it ruins the Clot de Chalance. I'm sure it will be great though wink
snow conditions
Very, very windy today and from the north so cold. Most lifts running but as wind strengthened there were some pauses and closures. Snow being scoured off some slopes becoming icy and as a result Diable and Valentine closed later.

Bellecombes closed again with some serious maintenance taking place. It was damaged in a storm before Christmas and I think they're taking advantage of a quiet week to fix it properly.
ski holidays
Some great pictures, heading to L2A on Saturday with 2 friends for our first snowboarding holiday. Wondering if there has been any news on the Pierre Gross opening?

Also it looks like we might be a week late for the best weather, but hopefully we get 7 days of skiable conditions!
Thanks for the thread, it's been very useful to help keep up to date with whats going on!
ski holidays
@Percussionn, Last news was opening 15th as long as there are no problems. If it's as quiet as this week it's not a problem though, no queues for Jandri.

Beautiful day today with little wind. Skied with friends here for the week so fairly fast day 5hours/50km/8000m+. Wind had badly affected Diable and Valentine blacks. Both steep deadly ice traps so closed.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy