Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a cheeky weekender in Zermatt for no stronger reason than have free lift pass there. Aware I might need to mortgage myself for accommodation but any intel on best way of transfering. Train fron GVA seems to come in at 3 hrs 50 + which seems a long time and prices not entirely clear (probably depends on getting a supersaver fare - 60 days in advance?). Is it potentially more practical to book a hire car? Or is that too much of a ballache with cost and hassle of parking in Tasch?

Unfortunately my pass isn't valid from Cervinia or otherwise I'd be going there like a shot.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done the whole Zermatt weekender, be warned it's a long transfer so train is definitely the best. Parking in Taesch will set you back around 15-20CHF a day, and considering how good the trains are for me it's just too much of a ballache.

The train journey is easy and picturesque, but now that they have removed the Swiss Transfer Ticket I believe pre-booked and without any railcard discounts train tickets are around 200CHF.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's kinda efficient but tortuous to there on the train so no option really but to sit comfortably and carry on.

We have stayed in Nendaz 4V and visited (car for all connects) as it's only about an hour from one to other. I know that's not convenient unless you can "lag" some 4V action around the Zermatt pass to make a trip of it.

You'd also drive past Val D Anniviers between the two if that offered anything to make it easier Very Happy not that you'd want to go there, awful plafe Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are travelling on your own, hiring a car is likely to be more expensive as well as a hassle since you still need to leave it at Täsch and get the train from there. The Transfer Ticket for the train is no more, but the Saver Day Pass can work out at about the same or even slightly less depending on which day you travel. Right now for example the price is CHF 52 in second on weekdays, CHF 70 at the weekend, CHF 88 in first. You will need to purchase the outward leg 60 days ahead, then wait until 60 days from your return date and buy the return. The SBB app lets you download an E ticket as well so no paper required. Don’t be misled by the Half Fare card prices, nearly all Swiss use Half fare cards, and for longer stays/more trips around Switzerland it’s worth getting, but it wouldn’t be economic for a short trip - just select the fare without half fare card. The CHF 200 referred to above is a full fare ticket which you shouldn’t need if you diarise to buy the Saver Day Pass.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gotta admit for 3 days skiing it's tempting to fuggedabout Zermatt and either do CHX or Verbier ex GVA or fly to Turin and do from Cervinia side or anywhere as far as Sere Che with cheap car hire.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@scotsgirl, Thanks for the update RIP the Swiss Transfer Ticket Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, a weekend in Zermatt is a bit difficult. You really can discount the day of arrival and departure. I go pretty much every year from Geneva by train. The only sensible option unless a number share a car. Scotsgirl has got this covered. I also started a thread on the sad demise of the transfer pass, which a quick search will find. I personally do not find the rail trip tortuous, but fantastic. Very scenic and part of the holiday. Driving is work for me so a no no. Done Verbier and would always go 30 minutes further to get to Zermatt.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Looking at a cheeky weekender in Zermatt for no stronger reason than have free lift pass there. Aware I might need to mortgage myself for accommodation ....

A few years back I stayed at the Hotel Europe which was very good and not too exorbitant for Zermatt.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd resurrect / partially hijack this one...

Not been to Zermatt before, but got flights to Geneva in January, flying out Monday, back Friday, both timings allowing me to potentially look further afield than Chamonix / La Clusaz etc.

Went to Verbier for similar length trip last year, letting the train take the strain and thinking of Zermatt instead this time, probably staying in Täsch... unless people would strongly advise against it and save that area for when I can go for at least a week and do it justice.

Your thoughts please?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gotta admit for 3 days skiing it's tempting to fuggedabout Zermatt and either do CHX or Verbier ex GVA or fly to Turin and do from Cervinia side or anywhere as far as Sere Che with cheap car hire.

have been to both resorts and whilst cervinia is an absolute doddle to get to (~90 mins from TRN, a bit more from Malpenza), Zermatt is hard work. Admittedly the scenery occupies you if its the 1st time you've done the train from GVA but otherwise for the sake of a weekend pass i think you'll more than make your money back from the italian side.

driving is a pain in the ar5e for getting to zermatt. again cervinia is very easy to get to.

enjoy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jebroni3_16, the only skiing in tasch is to take the train to Zermatt. Only you know your finances, but Zermatt is quite special, (unlike Verbier imo), and it really is worth staying in town. Then go back again the following year, and the year after that. Also the train all the way into the centre. Its worth a minimum of 3 days, but no less.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did Zermatt Thursday to Monday last December but only booked the day before on advice from kind folk on here. Great weekend had.

What are the cheapest train options when booking last minute? Thinking of doing the same this year if things fall right.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@twoodwar, funny you should mention finances, because I generally look for the cheapest place to stay and in Zermatt, that's youth hostels, which I don't fancy for a solo trip. However, in Täsch I can get a reasonably priced genuine single room for the 4 nights.

I'm a boarder, so the train and ski bus are less of a pain than they'd be for skiers, so I'll almost certainly stay there, but appreciate the advice and will come back and confirm you were right once I'm back Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This might be worth investigating
https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/News/Accommodation/Hotel-Carina-will-become-Zermatter-Puls
I don’t think it’s open yet, but seems to suggest there will be a mix of accommodation, including dorms. Whether it is reasonably priced I appreciate is a relative term....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd resurrect / partially hijack this one...

Not been to Zermatt before, but got flights to Geneva in January, flying out Monday, back Friday, both timings allowing me to potentially look further afield than Chamonix / La Clusaz etc.

Went to Verbier for similar length trip last year, letting the train take the strain and thinking of Zermatt instead this time, probably staying in Täsch... unless people would strongly advise against it and save that area for when I can go for at least a week and do it justice.

Your thoughts please?

I stayed solo in HI hostel in Zermatt over Xmas one year in a 8 bed room. (some time ago now) I would not advise staying in Tasch, and much better at the youth hostel in Zermatt. I also had accomodation parked in Tasch, but for the return cost of the train from Tasch to Zermatt it was worth staying in Zermatt. However, the parking costs are extortionate, even if they are covered and heated.

At that time you had to have evening meal and breakfast included, of which both were very good quality. It looks like you can only have breakfast now, which may mean that you can cook for yourself in the evening.

For some reason youth hostel was not full at Xmas. Must be a public holiday or something. Quite quiet really.
snow report
Check out the Zermatt hostel above sparkys.@jebroni3_16,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy