Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Years Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Anybody looking to go away in the New Years week? Myself (advanced skier) and friend (advanced boarder) looking to join a larger group or have a few more more join us; high altitude and large ski area, Solden or Cervinia of particular interest, open to suggestions but ideally not 3 Vallees as been several times recently.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Join a SnowHeads trip.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93070
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Whitegold, Which bit of "New Year week" don't you understand?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi. I'm looking to join a holiday crew this winter. I'm an advanced boarder. Would ideally like to do some snow park riding as well as piste/off piste. Flexible with dates and destinations. Where are you guys based?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Michu, We've booked now, decided on UCPA in Les Arcs so we can also get to La Plagne. Had been looking at chalets and just getting crazy expensive for NY week in good places. There is a deal for £684, that's accommodation, all food, lift pass and equipment if you need it. 5 of us have booked (2 boarders, 3 skiers, 3 guys and 2 girls) and a few more interested. If you want to join us follow this link for booking:

https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/31059520/www.action-outdoors.co.uk?p=eyJzIjoiNnFKdktJZ244NlZSdHdVVlZzYk9IR0RKSm5JIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMTA1OTUyMCxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvd3d3LmFjdGlvbi1vdXRkb29ycy5jby51a1xcXC9ob2xpZGF5XFxcL2NhcnQ_R3JvdXBSZWY9OWNiNDA2MGFcIixcImlkXCI6XCIxMTUzNzA4MDEwMWI0YWVhYWUwY2NkZWRjOTcyNDljYVwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcImM0MGM3MGFjNDNjZmM3M2MyYjlmOTY1N2JkZDMwMGEzMGZhMzA5ODlcIl19In0

***If anyone else fancies it, jump on board, the more the merrier.***
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@trader72, this looks really good. I'll probably book it in the next few days Smile Where are you guys flying from?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Michu, Mainly London, I'm doing Stansted to Grenoble. Availability is limited for the deal we got (£684) and flights are going up all the time so I wouldn't hang about too long!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@trader72, ok cool I'll get it booked asap
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Holiday, flights and transfers booked Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Michu, Nice one, if you PM me your number I'll add you to the WhatsApp group...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, just an update, there are now 8 people booked for this trip, 4 girls and 4 guys mix of boarders and skiers. Anyone looking for a New Year ski at an excellent price follow the link above. Availability at that price is limited!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I Can tell you what i am doing, and that is Ischgl again this year. I find it the only place with a 100% snow record around new year:-)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DanishRider wrote:
I Can tell you what i am doing, and that is Ischgl again this year. I find it the only place with a 100% snow record around new year:-)

Puzzled Puzzled Really?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes - High and north facing Happy have an exellent track record Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 19-10-19 16:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-10-19 16:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Let me elaborate on the subject, and remember that is is not scientific but my opinion and experience Happy

For early season guaranteed good skiing, I need to have good snow. The Dolomites can provide this with artificial snow, but i do like a town that is winter white, and not skiing "strips of toilet paper". That leaves out that part of the alps for early season, unless you book late, and it is very hard to find something in that week when booking late.

France is high, but you really only have Val D/Tignes that gets snow from both north and south, and still have plenty of north facing terrain. On top of that, you will have a pretty long transfer from the airport, and if it snow a lot, you cannot duck down into the trees that much, since it is very high up above the tree line. Val D is one of my favourites, but that is for skiing later in the season.

Austria have a lot of places that are exposed to "northern stau", but many of those places are either low, small or south facing (ski Amade/tauern/Kitz/Saalbach etc). What you have left is Ischgl. High and north facing, and never fails to deliver. Are usually one of the places in the alps, that have the most open early season. It benefits from the early October/November NW storms, and are able to keep the snow for a very long time.

There are places on the swiss side that are able to provide the same i am sure, but don't have that much experience with them, because i find price x 2 compared to Austria. We are living cost here, and saving those money would provide me an extra week of skiing in Austria wink
ski holidays
DanishRider,

I understand your comments but I don't think Ischgl is "the only place with a 100% snow record around new year."

I'd have no hesitation in booking Val Thorens, Tignes, Val D'Isere or Obergurgl then, to name but 4 places...
ski holidays
Read my first paragraph Happy my opinion based on my experience:-)
snow conditions
@DanishRider, from that are we right to assume that you haven't actually been to Val Thorens over New Year?
snow report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-10-19 23:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Indeed i have, but i turned out to be cloudy and low vis all week. That said, i have also been there in mid december with plenty of snow and great weather two years ago. So back to first paragraph:-)

In Ischgl you still have a little (10 %) in the trees, and all the millionaires and old folks don't ski in that kind of weather - from experience.

When i Val T Nov (which i was last year), there are no connections to the rest of the 3 valleys - They usually open in early december, and then there is no tree skiing.

My best bet for early skiing:
1. Ischgl
2. Val D

Back to what you assume: You are wrong @Alistair Happy

Well - No need to write more here, since this has turned OT Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy