Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I am going skiing for the first time in 6 or 7 years next April, and the first time at Easter and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what sort of kit I will need for that time of year?

I am going to Tignes from 11th April for a week, I don't want to get too many layers as I'm not sure if it will become a yearly holiday at this point, but don't to get too little and be cold.

In my head I'm thinking skins, t-shirt and then a ski jacket would be enough at this time of year, with skins under my salopettes also. Is that about right?

Also would people recommend goggles or sunglasses? Or should I get both and decide myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DanB234, I've skied Easter for years, it's been between -10 and +20! Depending on how hot you get I've skied the colder days with merino T shirt and long sleeve layer above that with a non insulated ski jacket. On the colder days I've added a thin fleece. It also can change quickly, so could be shedding layers and sat outside at lunchtime!

Goggles to ski in, sunglasses for lunch/beer at the bottom.

I've not worn skins under my salopettes at Easter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DanB234, it can get quite frosty at altitude so wouldn't harm to pack a fleece top. They don't take up much space, are cheap and reusable year round in British weather
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think kitenski has it more or less spot on.

I'd go with a merino base layer, thin fleece, thick fleece, jacket. If it's colder, wear more/all of them. If it's warmer, wear fewer or them.

I'd also go with a small backpack. Easter skiing days can often start cold, be t-shirt skiing at lunch time, but then get nippy again as soon as the sun dips below the mountains. A backpack gives you somewhere to shove layers when you don't need them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied the same week in Tignes a few years ago and for the first few days wore swimming shorts, t-shirt, and a hoody, no jacket or salopettes. The temperature dropped a little for the second half of the week and I put some more conventional ski clothing on but the point is that you are very unlikely to need many layers in April and certainly not any layers underneath your salopettes unless you really suffer from the cold. There is also no need for your base layer(s) to be ski specific so you can probably find sufficient layers in clothes that you already own.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all!

Some great advise so far!

On another note I'm planning on getting my Ski gear from Surfanic as that is where I got them when I went when I was younger. Would you guys recommend this or anywhere with a similar price bracket?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DanB234, no experience of surfanic but you could look out for the Aldi and Lidl sales this autumn, usually some good buys there. I've bought many a base layer, goggles, gloves, socks etc from them.

A friend who skis only 3 days per year bought a Lidl jacket and salopettes and it kept him dry in the foulest of conditions, when my more expensive stuff leaked like a sieve.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DanB234, having skied quite a bit at that time of year (due to being stuck with school holidays) my biggest problem is getting too hot.

I have now bought a very light jacket which is waterproof so that if a bit more chill I could put a fleece under but even a t-shirt and ski jacket is far too hot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackberry-Waterproof-Jacket-Removable-Purple/dp/B0793HN82R/ref=asc_df_B0793HN82R/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=383739619431&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10679066521623049950&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006730&hvtargid=pla-818957423920&psc=1&ref=&adgrpid=81230943267

I have also bought sealskinz cycling gloves as ski gloves too hot.

I was using soft shell salopettes but even they were too warm and now got a light weight pair with air vents in.

You can always add base layers underneath. My base layers are Merino ones from Aldi.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DanB234 wrote:
On another note I'm planning on getting my Ski gear from Surfanic as that is where I got them when I went when I was younger. Would you guys recommend this or anywhere with a similar price bracket?

All our ski jackets and salopettes are from Surfanic (two adults and two children).

As others have said Easter can be cold to very warm. What you wear may also depend on whether you like to run cool or warm. I prefer warm myself.

My Surfanic jacket and salopettes have ventilation zips which help at that time of the year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what sort of kit I will need for that time of year?

Factor 50 sun cream.

The weather can vary a lot at that time of year and even vary a lot during the day. It may be chilly in the morning (- a few degrees) and hot in the afternoon (20 degrees in not unknown). I cope my making sure my clothing has lots of zips. In the morning I have a long sleeved vest and a jacket on top and just salopettes on my legs and a hat. All zips are done up. During the day the vents get open in the trousers and pit vents on the jackets. The zip gets undone and the hat goes into the pocket. Sometimes the gloves are left hanging from the wrists.

I wear goggles all the time.

ENjoy the trip Easter (whether it be early or late) is a great time to go skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DanB234 wrote:
Also would people recommend goggles or sunglasses? Or should I get both and decide myself.

I wear goggles when it's snowy otherwise sunglasses.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
DanB234 wrote:

I wear goggles when it's snowy otherwise sunglasses.

Vast majority of the time I wear goggles but think this is due to being a contact lens wearer and with goggles they dry up less. Tbh you want glasses with you for when you stop for lunch / drink!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For the April EoSB I packed for everything and used it all. Some days I skied in base layer and soft shell, some days I skied in base layer and hoody, both times with thin gloves and sometimes just glove liners. Other days I had to use my thick insulated jacket and big gloves. Unfortunately spring can throw all sorts at you. Most times its warm and sunny though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
???

There is no "standard weather" in the mountains. The glacier de la Grande Motte climbs up to 3600 m! At this altitude, it can be freezing cold even in the middle of the summer. Get ready to encounter a very wide range of weathers and temperatures. I would take everything and certainly include warm clothes, goggles and sunglasses.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro wrote:

A friend who skis only 3 days per year bought a Lidl jacket and salopettes and it kept him dry in the foulest of conditions, when my more expensive stuff leaked like a sieve.

I have a Lidl jacket, gloves and goggles and skied 80 days last year although not always with my Lidl jacket but all would have been used from November to end of April.
snow conditions
A rucksack with a water pipe to a sack in the back is great at Easter. The sun can be very intense and you need a lot more fluids than skiing in January. We all know the price of a bottle of Fanta at 2700m......
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
A rucksack with a water pipe to a sack in the back is great at Easter. The sun can be very intense and you need a lot more fluids than skiing in January. We all know the price of a bottle of Fanta at 2700m......

Why was I interpreting this as a hashish hookah rather than a camelbak? Indeed I was thinking yeah, probably is great basking in the sun....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy