Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back country skiing, in Tamworth.

Poster: A snowHead
I’m sure people can get something from this, but it did make me smile.

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/events/discover-the-backcountry-in-tamworth
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given the speed they run the pomas at Chillfactore it could catch on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lift pass purchase required!!! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If anyone else, like me, tried to book and received a 'sold out' message, I called and they have system gremlins. I booked direct with Snowdome and will be there 2-4 snowHead

North american pass prices now seem more reasonable Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, I totally agree that Backcountry in Tamworth seems slightly odd, and there certainly won't be bottomless powder on the day, but there are plenty of interesting talks, workshops and coaching sessions, as well as equipment demos from lots of brands involved in touring and BC skiing. There'll even be a dedicated area for skinning so you can try out different skins, boots and bindings. Getting space to go uphill in the confined areas of indoor skiing is actually much harder to arrange than you might imagine.
Indoor slope prices can seem quite expensive, but the lift ticket covers all on slope sessions with experts such as Andy Townsend, Martin Chester and coaches from New Generation ski school, so hopefully you can see that there is some excellent value in the day. I should say any talks and workshops, including transceiver training, that are off snow, are all free and don't require a lift ticket!
There's even a full day course with Blair Aitkin that covers everything for a novice, there were still 2 places left when I checked a day ago.
If you're keen for a full day you can even do a few hours at Tamworth and then nip down the M1 to Hemel for the Oktobertest that evening!
Hopefully see some of you there, or if not then I'll be at Manchester on the Sunday for the Oktoberfest, just minus all the reps, guides and gear that will of been in Tamworth!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I actually think it's a great idea. I know a few people that would like so something similar as an intro for split boarding. They are hesitant to "waste" a day in resort on something they may not enjoy. Also anything that provides education or at least gets people thinking about avalanches is a good thing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We won't have any demo snowboard kit but a lot of the talks and workshops would still be relevant if you did want to come. A lot of free advice from leading experts!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are both gutted that we are unable to attend; we only saw this thread on the 30th and had made plans for this coming weekend Crying or Very sad

Will definitely keep an eye out for similar events as it looks to be a really well thought out day!

Nick
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The picture on the website isn't the Snowdome either.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Who will be checking the avi report and to make it more authentic - will there be a snow cannon blowing at the top where participants take their skins off? wink

Someone needs to take an airbag and let it off too. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, you sort of beat me to it Laughing

And I'm sure we can list a whole load of other scenarios.

Bindings freezing up ?

Skins not sticking ?

Over to others
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:

Someone needs to take an airbag and let it off too. Toofy Grin

Don't need to worry about that, BD are bringing some. Think it's more to demo than for protection (unless there's a worry of out of control beginner skiers) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I sense a bit of cynicism on this thread, unsurprisingly!
I'm a pretty experienced skier with lots of time off piste, both solo and guided and done several avalanche and backcountry courses in the mountains so when my wife offered the pass/sessions as a birthday treat I wasn't sure at all.

However, exactly as per @boarder2020 I have never skinned as despite being very curious, I see my time in a resort as very valuable and usually smash out as many runs as I can, even more so with a nipper so when I'm off the leash I want max vertical for min effort.

This was an ideal chance to find out about kit, have a go on skins (I used a Shift setup) and get tips from some very experienced guys. Lots of fun and very informative. It's opened my mind to potential of unlocking some more esoteric UK terrain too, and I can see a kit purchase coming up so the day served its purpose all round. Expect some threads on the kit fourm!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Morning or afternoon @gravity-slave? I did 3-5 and would have appreciated some time to chat.

It was an intense couple of hours, shame none of the kit fitted me, but a big effort from the ski and boot brands.

Seriously impressed by Andy Townsend, although he did demonstrate how an IFMGA guide struggles on the icy steeps of Tamworth with a comedical backward roll Laughing
snow report
I was there 10 til about 3. 3 hours on the slope in the morning, with Martin then Andy, before free skiing. The bottom of the slope was packed with beginners so I did a few laps from the top to above the rope tow before skinning back up and practising kick turns on the steeper inside line of the corner.

Chilled out, had lunch, watched the race then browsed kit and had some great advice on getting into it from the guys, all super helpful.
latest report
Excellent
snow report
I went last year. Excellent experience. And great classroom session. Far better than Henry's Avalanche Talks, not difficult.
But it's definitely worth attending next year if you are interested in trying skining
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@DB, you sort of beat me to it Laughing

And I'm sure we can list a whole load of other scenarios.

Bindings freezing up ?

Skins not sticking ?

Over to others

That's a bit like criticising the beginner lessons in a dome because they won't experience accidentally getting on a mogul filled black run.
latest report
I'd have loved to attend this, but already had other plans by the time I found out about it (i.e. it was posted on here).

@Steve@EllisB, any chance of getting word out about this earlier next time? Could it be posted on the Tamworth website etc?

Glad everyone had fun - it did look really good!
snow report
+1 ^ this.
snow conditions
+2

It was good old Snowheads, jBob's post above that alerted me. Something popped up on Fb in the middle of last week, but nothing else.
snow report
gravity-slave wrote:
I sense a bit of cynicism on this thread, unsurprisingly!

Only just seen this comment.

Didn't mean to come over cynical and hey we all started somewhere. My first time on alpine skis was at Tamworth in the late 90's. The first time I saw a ski-tourer was at Kitsteinhorn (Kaprun, Austria) and couldn't for the life of me work out how and why he was able to walk up the slope. Like marmite, ski touring isn't for everyone but I bet there are many who would really like it but have never had the chance to try it. Great that someone puts on events like this in the UK so people get the chance, thanks @Steve & @EllisB.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy