Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's Goretex trousers for ski-touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Can anyone recommend some good women's Goretex trousers designed for ski-touring, ideally not as expensive as Norrona or Arcteryx?

thanks!
Cath
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you don’t mind the Jester Red color, Norrøna Lyngen Gore Tex Pant £215 (50% off) on their online outlet store (need to register).

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lyngen/lyngen-gore-tex-pro-pants-women/?color=1125&changeCountry=GB
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love love love my Noronna Lofoten trousers. I got mine half price. If I have to replace them I’ll grit my teeth and pay for another pair, they’re that good. Great customer service from them too. I split a seam in an awkward fall. I sent them for repair and they did it free of charge.

They also don’t need cutting off if you break your leg. But ideally you won’t need to know that.

Hope you have some luck in the sales!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick responses!

@Maireadoconnor, are your trousers the standard Lofotens, or the 'Light' version? I was recommended the Light ones, so I was wondering if the insulated version would be a tad too warm for touring.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
www.tiso.com have some lofoten and arcteryx on sale and some Salomon and jelly Hansen at under £100
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CathS, My wife's got a pair of the Untrakt Obsidian, which I think is a SportPursuit own brand. Currently £165 on SportPursuit. They're a fairly shameless rip off of the Lofoten and stood up very well to a week of hut-to-hut in Austria last March.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CathS wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses!

@Maireadoconnor, are your trousers the standard Lofotens, or the 'Light' version? I was recommended the Light ones, so I was wondering if the insulated version would be a tad too warm for touring.

Dunno; they’re a few years old. They’re not insulated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the recommendations and links everyone!

The Untrakt trousers sound interesting. I'm wondering how their Ecoshield membrane compares with Goretex? Haven't heard of them before.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Norrona do dedicated ski touring pants ...
https://www.exxpozed.co.uk/damen-hosen-norrona-w-lyngen-driflex3-pants-aquanaut-15b

For skitouring I prefer Softshell pants, much more comfortable and breathable than normal hardshell pants with a membrane.
I rarely even wear my hardshell jacket when skitouring (esp in spring) - it spends most of it's time in the backpack and only comes out for bad weather (high wind, rain, snow).
The above pants appear to combine the benefits of both hardshell & softshell.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My gf switched to these (from something Norrøna GoreTex) for touring last season, and likes them:

https://www.sport-conrad.com/produkte/norr-na/lyngen-windstopper-hybrid-sc-2.html

Should be able to find some sizes/colours left in the sales, but it’s the wrong time of year for that really.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

For skitouring I prefer Softshell pants, much more comfortable and breathable than normal hardshell pants with a membrane.

It's a sensible approach assuming you will only be touring in favourable weather (which is true for most of us). I guess even then a light pair of waterproofs are not a hassle to carry in a backpack for any storms. Goretex doesn't seem worth the money for a dedicated pair of touring pants (not breathable enough). For breathability best option is big zips.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

It's a sensible approach assuming you will only be touring in favourable weather (which is true for most of us). I guess even then a light pair of waterproofs are not a hassle to carry in a backpack for any storms. Goretex doesn't seem worth the money for a dedicated pair of touring pants (not breathable enough). For breathability best option is big zips.

Have toured in softshell pants in all sorts of weather without problems. Have even experienced rain a couple of times while ski touring. As long as they are windproof and you keep the water repellent finish in good order the snow/rain just trickles off softshell pants. Pants are less critical than jackets in rain as they are vertical with less seams. If the weather was that extreme that I might need overtrousers (driving horizontal rain) I probably wouldn't go out. Getting over-trousers on over ski touring boots will be a right pain unless they have full side zips. Agree Goretex or any membrane is not ideal for skitouring as they just don't have the breathability. Prefer eVent fabric to Goretex though.

http://youtube.com/v/cc3qxL1RdHA
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy