Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reusing a hands free lift pass at other resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Most resorts now seek to charge a few euros extra for the hands free card your lift pass days are loaded onto.

I've read that these are often (but not always) transferable between resorts, so it's worth keeping the cards to see if they can be used on future trips, avoiding the need to pay for another card. Is that correct?

Secondly, if a ski pass already has days loaded onto it for sometime in the future, will using it at a different resort in the intervening period risk wiping the future validity?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, that is correct. There are typically two kinds of lift passes in use in France: Ski Data and Axxes, they are not interchangeable but for example a life pass for Correncon in the Vercors will also work at l'Alpe d'Huez and at Valloire in the Maurienne.

I don't think they "load" anything onto the pass. It just has an rfid chip in it and the passes are stored in a database on a computer. The turnstyle reads the code in the rfid chip and sees if this corresponds to a lift pass in the system.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 29-09-19 10:54; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, you can reuse lift passes in different resorts. It depends on the company that provides the lift barrier system. The same card will work across all the Skistar resorts in Sweden and Norway, for example.

I can't answer the second question though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Most resorts now seek to charge a few euros extra for the hands free card your lift pass days are loaded onto.

In the Espace Diamant you can get your two euros refunded - I presumed all resorts did this, to reduce plastic waste, if not reduce costs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, Megeve won't give you back the two euros.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tight boogers down there!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We turned up at Megeve a few years ago, with our carefully saved lift passes from only a couple of years previously acquired, to find they had changed their system and we were required to buy new passes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have not come across anywhere that let’s you use elsewhere’s pass.

Some do refund tho’. Presumably to re-use.

I thought they were all by SkiData?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can, but with some limitations. Even if card is Skidata it doesn't mean it will work everywhere where they have Skidata. They use different frequencies and card needs to match that. Yeah it's impossible to tell if it will work or not, but should be visible from serial number of card. I have been told long time ago, that first set of numbers is the one defines frequency. Now if that's true or not, I have no idea, but I have seen few Skidata cards that worked normally in one resort and didn't work in other, and on the other hand, I have bunch of cards that I normally use in most resorts where I go skiing. Until now noone had issues loading them, but of course you can't give them back on end of day getting refund Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski amade gives you the €3 back. I usually have a stash every couple of years to buy the first round.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to muddy the waters:

Our Cham passes have (slightly) different "Internet" numbers, which will be unique IDs.

But, the cards have numbers starting 467/76/xxxxx which are also presumably unique IDs - and 467 MHz sounds plausible as a frequency, except that it isn't https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/rfid-radio-frequency-identification/frequency-bands-spectrum.php

They will (as included on the pass) work in Courayeur and Evasion MB - but presumably the networks aren't integrated as you have to go past the cash desks on first use. Although Verbier is included on a limited basis, we had to use Verbier passes last time.

We also have PdS, GM and MonteRosa cards, all of which I think have had to be replaced in recent years due system changes (done for free).

Switzerland is of course much more joined up as I think most (?) stations can now be loaded onto the "SwissCard" which also works for e.g. museums, etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some years ago I discovered that you could 'preload' the pass for Cervinia - but needed the bit of plastic and it's id that would trigger the first time it was used. Found that the pass used at Nevis Range used the same system so got one from there. Straight on to the first lift with no queuing for a pass the first day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. Can anyone answer my second question (which is basically: can you load multiple ski areas onto the same pass without wiping the ones which are already on there)?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella, I think you can because, as someone pointed out above, the card is purely an identifier and nothing is actually loaded on to it. You would not be able to buy lift time on the internet and then go straight to the lifts otherwise. For a definitive answer on this you need to ask alpinebear on here. He works for SATA, the Alpe d'Huez lift company, and spent all last winter selling and sorting out these things.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, Yes, as that's what happens with the Mont Blanc Unlimited so it handles CdMB, EMB and Courmayeur, which appear to be on different "servers".
ski holidays
I haven't tried using "strange" cards online must be said.
ski holidays
Thanks, will report back!
snow report
I did this many times. Even at the ticket box in Verbier, where I asked them to validate an Oz/Vaujany card for use as a day card. To which they at first said that it would be impossible, but when I asked them to try it anyways, it just worked (to their utter surprise).
As mentioned here above, there are basically two Ski pass systems; Skidata (01-1614 7133 5349 xxxx xxxx-X) and TeamAxess (WTP: xxxxxxxx-xxx-xxx and sometimes another internet identification nr xxx/xxx/xxxxx)
As I can confirm, each Skidata pass works everywhere where they use Skidata. Nothing is written onto the card, it is a very simple system consisting of a unique pass nr and a RFID antenna. When purchasing one or more days of skiing at a certain resort, this nr is added to the local database and when you scan your card, the card number is checked with this database after which the tourniquette opens (or not). Each resort has its own closed database system, so you should be able to use your pass in multiple resorts at the same time, although I never tested this.
The TeamAxess system should work the same way, the only challenge here is that some resorts use the so-called Internet No. and others just use the WTP No. Some passes have both printed on them, others only have the WTP No. printed on them.
As also mentioned here above: make sure not to carry old passes together with the valid one, as the reader will probably see the unknown nr and block the tourniquette, even when also reading the valid one at the same time.
Some resorts have reduced rates for internet passes, as this reduces the amount of man hours for them. Sometimes you get increased reduction when buying your passes at least 10 days before your stay in the resort.
When you loose your ski-pass, you can easily go to a ticket box and have another card matched to your name, which they should just do for you. The lost card will become invalid at the same instance. Same applies if your card becomes damaged for any reason. To reduce this risk, keep your smartphone away from your ski-pass as it might be able to destroy the antenna with its own RFID payment signal.
snow conditions
A very interesting post!

I've dug out old plastic lift passes and our Tignes ones from 2 years ago have the 01-1614 xxxx number. Looking at the Val Thorens website (going at Easter) it says that passes starting with that number can be re-loaded.

Unfortunately it doesn't make clear that this is any pass from elsewhere too. So I'm assuming/hoping this will work and I don't need to fork out an extra 12 Euros for 4 more bits of plastic to add to the collection?
snow report
One issue you might have using the same pass across different resorts** is if the RFID card fails.

When this has happened to me, I have gone to the lift pass office to swap to a new card and they have retained the old card with paperwork.

If you had a second resort using the original card, you would also need to get that resort updated to a new card too. Presumably by reporting as a lost card, as you wouldn't be able to surrender a failed card in the second instance.

** when having multiple passes loaded at the same time (edited/added for clarity)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 5-03-24 11:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@kettonskimum, yes, if the website says passes starting with 01-1614 can be used, you'll be able to use cards from other resorts.
snow report
Useful thread. Worth making a sticky?
snow conditions
kettonskimum wrote:
A very interesting post!

I've dug out old plastic lift passes and our Tignes ones from 2 years ago have the 01-1614 xxxx number. Looking at the Val Thorens website (going at Easter) it says that passes starting with that number can be re-loaded.

Unfortunately it doesn't make clear that this is any pass from elsewhere too. So I'm assuming/hoping this will work and I don't need to fork out an extra 12 Euros for 4 more bits of plastic to add to the collection?

Yes, this will work for sure. You will see that the 3 Vallees website just accepts the card numbers of your Tignes cards. And once the number is stored in their system, the tourniquets will open during the timeframe you bought access for.
snow conditions
I did exactly this last year In Morzine. The website advised as long as the WTP code was in a specific format , you could re-use your existing pass. I think I used an old pass from Japan.
snow conditions
sno trax wrote:
One issue you might have using the same pass across different resorts** is if the RFID card fails.

When this has happened to me, I have gone to the lift pass office to swap to a new card and they have retained the old card with paperwork.

If you had a second resort using the original card, you would also need to get that resort updated to a new card too. Presumably by reporting as a lost card, as you wouldn't be able to surrender a failed card in the second instance.

** when having multiple passes loaded at the same time (edited/added for clarity)

We have had this happening as well in Bonneval sur Arc. At first the lift operator looked a bit confused when seeing a card originating from Austria, but after a quick explaining, they just replaced the card and updated the number in their system. No problem.

** And in the rare occasion you use one card in multiple resorts at the same time, for the sake of smooth action at the ticket office of the second resort, I would just provide the receipt of the old internet transaction, ask for a replacement card from them and accept you have to switch cards when switching resorts during the remainder of the season.
snow report
i used both of the option with 01-1614 xxxx number and WTP code in Half Term.
Works without problem (ski pass from Flaine and La Plagne, used in Chamrousse and Chatel)

What i am not sure is this :
can i in the same card book more than one ski passes with different dates?
snow report
When the Espace Diamant started using re-usable cards you paid 2 euros for them, and could get cash back from a range of resort shops or lift pass offices. Now you can't, which seems a highly retrograde step. Not everybody will be sufficiently organised to have the card handy for future purchases and many will just end up in the garbage.
snow report
I've used Serre Chevalier cards at Val Thorens/3V> Easiest way to find out is to try and book a pass online, and put the number in from your existing card. Pretty sure we used our season pass cards, and went back to SC for a few days after that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

They will (as included on the pass) work in Courayeur and Evasion MB - but presumably the networks aren't integrated as you have to go past the cash desks on first use. Although Verbier is included on a limited basis, we had to use Verbier passes last time.

The reason you could not just use your Chamonix pass in Verbier is that 4 Vallees uses Skidata while Chamonix uses TeamAxess. If you would have brought a Skidata pass they could have used that for your day pass there (after having to convince them it would be possible).
Courmayeur indeed uses TeamAxess as well, but indeed you need to go past the cash desk to have them read out the card nr to add it into their own system. After that, the Vallee Blanche from the Italian side is yours wink
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:
i used both of the option with 01-1614 xxxx number and WTP code in Half Term.
Works without problem (ski pass from Flaine and La Plagne, used in Chamrousse and Chatel)

What i am not sure is this :
can i in the same card book more than one ski passes with different dates?

The thing is that the passes are not booked in a card, but it is the other way around; the cardnr is just stored in the resorts' database, together with the timeframe you bought. So yes.
ski holidays
I just last week discovered why some of my old pass cards were no longer working for our guests - up until this season I'd 'lend' the cards to our guests who were then able to use them for internet purchases, saving them both the cost of the card and the additional cost of buying at the ticket desk. (Yes, they could just order them without pre-existing cards and pick them up on the day, but some have not realised this).

Anyway, here's the problem. To order on the internet you need to create an account. Once you've used a card it is now permanently registered on that account. Multiple cards (up to six, I've been told) can exist per account and are not tied to specific individuals but can not be transferred to a different user account.

This is on the Swiss side of PdS, but some of the cards were originally issued in France and of course the systems are linked, so I think it likely that anyone using any card will now no longer be able to pass them on to others as they have in the past. rolling eyes
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
I just last week discovered why some of my old pass cards were no longer working for our guests - up until this season I'd 'lend' the cards to our guests who were then able to use them for internet purchases, saving them both the cost of the card and the additional cost of buying at the ticket desk. (Yes, they could just order them without pre-existing cards and pick them up on the day, but some have not realised this).

Anyway, here's the problem. To order on the internet you need to create an account. Once you've used a card it is now permanently registered on that account. Multiple cards (up to six, I've been told) can exist per account and are not tied to specific individuals but can not be transferred to a different user account.

This is on the Swiss side of PdS, but some of the cards were originally issued in France and of course the systems are linked, so I think it likely that anyone using any card will now no longer be able to pass them on to others as they have in the past. rolling eyes

The systems are not linked for sure, but a specific card nr cannot exist twice in the same database of any resort (or, to be more precise, a specific card number cannot be linked to two different accounts). So when a card is linked to an account, this card cannot be linked to another account as long as the original account is not deleted.

You could probably solve this best by going to the ticket office after each season with all old cards you have and exchange them for other used cards they have, because returned cards are almost certainly never reused online and therefore not linked to an account.

Kudo's for providing this service to your guests. It saves them time and money and it is better for the environment as well!
ski holidays
@wimz, The lift-pass systems are certainly linked; the online purchase ones are at least semi-linked, in that when I wanted to register to buy a day-pass in Chatel recently I could not do so using the email address I'd used on the Swiss system. It didn't give a coherent error message but I worked out that this was the cause and simple used a different email. So yes, some sort of cross-referencing at the very least. The other ones run by Avoriaz and LG (or wherever) also appear to be the same basic booking system, so I suspect that the links, such as they are, would be the same across the different areas of France, i.e. you probably can't reguster using the same email on more that one of them. No reason you'd want to though, given their prices are all the same, whereas Swiss prices are at the moment very much more expensive due to exchange rate shifts in the last couple of years.

The main ticket office here in Morgins could do nothing for me expect inform me why the passes were no longer working, but advised me to try the head office of the RDDM in Champéry, which I haven't yet done. They don't have any returned cards, as they're non-refundable.

What I will try to do for the future, especially if I can get the existing cards removed from the accounts of the various people that used them this season, is to register them all on one account, or maybe will need multiple accounts for more than six, which will mean I'll have to buy the passes through my account for the guests, or allow them to use my account(s) to do so themselves. Issues with credit card details may make this unfeasible though, haven't checked yet.

Another solution, I suppose, would be to create a throwaway account for each guest, buy and use the passes, then delete the account to free off the cards.

Annoying, however it works out, and odd that it's only happened this season, cards have been used by multiple guests up to and certainly including last year.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, it could be the case that the same online purchasing back-office is used by multiple resorts. Maybe you could ask your guests to delete the pass numbers from their account when they return the cards after use, for you to be able to reuse them. I am sure they are willing to do so when they are made aware of this.
And if you include a line in your voyage preparation e-mail to bring old passes of any resort if they have them sitting in a drawer, this could also help reducing the amount of blocked passes at the end of a season. People just don't know that this is possible in the first place and many only start thinking about lift passes after they arrive in the resort.
The lift corporation should actually try to help you more actively with this issue, as it is advantageous for them when the work load at the ticket offices is further reduced. Don't they even have a box somewhere for people to leave their cards after use? I remember I have seen such boxes near ticket offices in the past.
snow conditions
@wimz, Now that I know it will use any Axxess card I will search through the dozens of cards I accumulated over the years. So I should be able to free up quite a few.

As for deleting the card from a user account, that doesn't seem in itself possible. One can change the card number, or one can delete secondary contacts which will presumably (hopefully) also remove the card registration and make it re-usable. I'll need to experiment with this. Probably try it with the Chatel one I bought earlier in the season, see if deleting that account allows me to add the card elsewhere.

I've never seen a 'leave your old card here' box in any of the lift pass offices - given that there are points accumulated for each purchase I imagine that their efforts are more focussed on enticing previous users back again, so would want to encourage them to hold on to the cards for future visits.

In the long term I need to work out whether the effort I'd need to put in to use and reuse cards, saving just 4 francs per guest, is really worthwhile or not. It would mean getting names and photos from them, ensuring they're deleted/removed as appropriate after use, as well as the existing risk of them forgetting and taking them away, which has sometimes happened. Previously the effort was minimal, but now I'm not so sure.
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Thanks all. Can anyone answer my second question (which is basically: can you load multiple ski areas onto the same pass without wiping the ones which are already on there)?

The RFID cards used by Axess and Ski Data are writable, it’s basically for no real reason than making their systems proprietary!

So when you activate a ticket going through a gate for the first time in the day data is written to the card.

Now if you buy several tickets online, onto a pre registered card, tickets will be loaded on each day as required.

A problem arises if you have an actual ticket for a future date already loaded on the RFID card or a season pass! It should simply fail to load another, but there’s a risk what is stored on the card will be wiped, or card trashed! Which you then need to sort out!
snow conditions
Recently acquired some lift passes through our accommodation agency in Les Menuires at discounted prices. But they will not reload our existing cards - say we have to have fresh ones.

When we booked through tourist information last year they reloaded existing cards.

Very frustrating.
snow report
@Layne, That's quite common if an agency or a hotel is getting the cards and you're paying them, rather than the lift company direct. The additional admin and hassle of taking various cards from various different guests, dealing with the ones that inevitably don't work and ensuring the correct ones are given back to the correct people would be a nightmare, so I don't blame them.

Plus, of course, their deal with the lift company will be based on a specific model, with discounted prices and potentially commission (often in the form of a free pass per ten bought, or whatever) and the reuse of existing cards could easily throw the whole thing out of kilter.

When I used to lead on Ski Club holidays I'd often buy the passes for the whole group (requiring local cash payments from them all, sometime 40+ people, which was frankly a bit of a PITA) and we would calculate their payments including how many free passes would be included, i.e. we'd pass the discount on to the members. It's possible that's what the agency was doing as well.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, yeah, no I kinda get it. Should have said mildly frustrating rather than very Very Happy

I've got a pile of about 30 cards at home (household of 4).
ski holidays
Hopefully one day, it will all will be on our phones. We used to have Swatch watches with our passes on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy