Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reusing a hands free lift pass at other resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Most resorts now seek to charge a few euros extra for the hands free card your lift pass days are loaded onto.

I've read that these are often (but not always) transferable between resorts, so it's worth keeping the cards to see if they can be used on future trips, avoiding the need to pay for another card. Is that correct?

Secondly, if a ski pass already has days loaded onto it for sometime in the future, will using it at a different resort in the intervening period risk wiping the future validity?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, that is correct. There are typically two kinds of lift passes in use in France: Ski Data and Axxes, they are not interchangeable but for example a life pass for Correncon in the Vercors will also work at l'Alpe d'Huez and at Valloire in the Maurienne.

I don't think they "load" anything onto the pass. It just has an rfid chip in it and the passes are stored in a database on a computer. The turnstyle reads the code in the rfid chip and sees if this corresponds to a lift pass in the system.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 29-09-19 10:54; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, you can reuse lift passes in different resorts. It depends on the company that provides the lift barrier system. The same card will work across all the Skistar resorts in Sweden and Norway, for example.

I can't answer the second question though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Most resorts now seek to charge a few euros extra for the hands free card your lift pass days are loaded onto.

In the Espace Diamant you can get your two euros refunded - I presumed all resorts did this, to reduce plastic waste, if not reduce costs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, Megeve won't give you back the two euros.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tight boogers down there!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We turned up at Megeve a few years ago, with our carefully saved lift passes from only a couple of years previously acquired, to find they had changed their system and we were required to buy new passes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have not come across anywhere that let’s you use elsewhere’s pass.

Some do refund tho’. Presumably to re-use.

I thought they were all by SkiData?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can, but with some limitations. Even if card is Skidata it doesn't mean it will work everywhere where they have Skidata. They use different frequencies and card needs to match that. Yeah it's impossible to tell if it will work or not, but should be visible from serial number of card. I have been told long time ago, that first set of numbers is the one defines frequency. Now if that's true or not, I have no idea, but I have seen few Skidata cards that worked normally in one resort and didn't work in other, and on the other hand, I have bunch of cards that I normally use in most resorts where I go skiing. Until now noone had issues loading them, but of course you can't give them back on end of day getting refund Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski amade gives you the €3 back. I usually have a stash every couple of years to buy the first round.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to muddy the waters:

Our Cham passes have (slightly) different "Internet" numbers, which will be unique IDs.

But, the cards have numbers starting 467/76/xxxxx which are also presumably unique IDs - and 467 MHz sounds plausible as a frequency, except that it isn't https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/rfid-radio-frequency-identification/frequency-bands-spectrum.php

They will (as included on the pass) work in Courayeur and Evasion MB - but presumably the networks aren't integrated as you have to go past the cash desks on first use. Although Verbier is included on a limited basis, we had to use Verbier passes last time.

We also have PdS, GM and MonteRosa cards, all of which I think have had to be replaced in recent years due system changes (done for free).

Switzerland is of course much more joined up as I think most (?) stations can now be loaded onto the "SwissCard" which also works for e.g. museums, etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some years ago I discovered that you could 'preload' the pass for Cervinia - but needed the bit of plastic and it's id that would trigger the first time it was used. Found that the pass used at Nevis Range used the same system so got one from there. Straight on to the first lift with no queuing for a pass the first day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. Can anyone answer my second question (which is basically: can you load multiple ski areas onto the same pass without wiping the ones which are already on there)?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella, I think you can because, as someone pointed out above, the card is purely an identifier and nothing is actually loaded on to it. You would not be able to buy lift time on the internet and then go straight to the lifts otherwise. For a definitive answer on this you need to ask alpinebear on here. He works for SATA, the Alpe d'Huez lift company, and spent all last winter selling and sorting out these things.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, Yes, as that's what happens with the Mont Blanc Unlimited so it handles CdMB, EMB and Courmayeur, which appear to be on different "servers".
ski holidays
I haven't tried using "strange" cards online must be said.
ski holidays
Thanks, will report back!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy