Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montée de Semnoz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A ski race, in France, in September?

Well yes and no. The Montée de Semnoz is a rollerski hill climb. 10km and around 800 vertical meters. Rollerskiing is now being remarketed "summer cross country skiing". The Montée de Semnoz is part of the national Rollerski challenge and even attracts some international competitors, this year the czeck Karolina Bicova who came second in the women's event and... me !

I'd been concerned about the amount of climbing but it was the least demanding of the Rollerski challenge events. Early in the summer they'd climbed 1700 meters to the Col de la Bonnette over 17km. If you've climbed on cross country skis or rollerskis you'll know it is really hard work, especially when the roads are rough like the Semnoz climb. It is an average 8% but mixed with some flats and steep ramps.

Given the challenge I opted for classic rollerskis, around 20% slower than on skating but not as strenuous on the cardio vascular system. However i want to talk about the event in general. The best skiers cover the 10km in around 40 minutes, that is quick, a vertical ascent rate of around 1100 meters per hour. For comparison I'm about half that.

Given the race finishes 10km from the start and that rollerskis are a bit, sporty, descending how to get back? Well not to worry, lots of people heading down with cars and busses and it seemed reasonably easy to hitch a ride.

They've changed the course with the finish right on the Col de Semnoz with views of le Mont Blanc and beyond. This means the start is 2km from the signing on zone, so you need to allow half an hour to ski to the start without overcooking things.

The race is hard. 3 skaters abandoned, one within sight of the finish. If you can't keep up a skating rythm on the 8-10% slopes it quickly becomes a nightmare as you stop every stroke. Classic skis are more like touring skis, it is just a question of tapping out a rhythm and keeping calm and carrying on. I did have something of a race to the line with another guy on classic who I'd passed on the final steep ramp, as it flattened he was able to get his second wind and we clack clacked to the line as our poles hammered into the tarmac.

Afterwards there was a traditional savoyard lunch and the prize giving. Friendly company and a well organized event. The oldest finisher was 71, not that far behind me.

If you want to do this or any of the other French rollerski events you'll need a medical certificate for competitions - which means an ECG and probably more extensive testing if you are over 40. Not to be neglected given the effort. Helmet and shades are obligatory.

http://pistehors.com/SLD8WW0ByuHDGsGAoHHx/15th-montee-de-semnoz
http://www.dragons-annecy.com/15eme-montee-du-semnoz-une-belle-reussite/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Terrific stuff. Well done! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks,

To give a bit more info, in terms of physical effort it is a bit like climbing the Galibier (north side) on a road bike. I'd imagine people who run a lot around 20km would find the effort similar.

Being light is a big advantage and it is interesting to watch the kids practically glide along the road while they were warming up, although they have a shorter 4km race as do the women. I'm not sure why women have a separate event as in Norway they are usually mixed with the best women only just behind the fastest men.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cor, well done @davidof.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it open to inline skaters?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy