Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would these skis be suitable?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Rossignol Attraxion skis, they are 154cm

I am wondering if they would be OK for my daughter to use? She doesn’t think so as she doesn’t like the colour!!!!

She is 13, 160cm tall and 7stone. She comfortably skis reds.

She is definitely too tall for her 140s which she wants to carry on using and we aren’t going until Feb so will most likely be a bit taller by then.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, how do the skis know how tall she is?

She's pretty light... I'd think the 140s would perhaps be fine...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, the instructor at her last lessons suggested they were getting too short for her. Which was a couple of months a go
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, sounds about right, but don't underestimate the colour factor!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steilhang wrote:
@NickyJ, sounds about right, but don't underestimate the colour factor!

Tell me about it! I have told her it is that or hiring.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Length sounds about right, but at the upper end of what is suitable - So it depends on whether the particular Attraxion model is right for her level.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
Length sounds about right, but at the upper end of what is suitable - So it depends on whether the particular Attraxion model is right for her level.

They were quite soft, more beginners skis, they were great for me to get my confidence on. My thinking is that although beginners given how light she is that may help them make them more suitable?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

They were quite soft, more beginners skis, they were great for me to get my confidence on. My thinking is that although beginners given how light she is that may help them make them more suitable?

They sound fine.

Tell her to get some stickers for the top sheet and personalise them! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you’re playing with the height heuristic, the Rossis are too long ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, this is my concern. They are a touch to long (right now) though how much will she grow in the next 5 months who knows!

Alternatively we will hire in resort.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I plumbed her stats into a Length guide - ie. Girl of Advanced Intermediate standard, of average aggression, skiing On Piste and ended up with a length of 150 - 156.

This is the one I use: https://www.skis.com/size-chart/skis,default,pg.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, thanks - so maybe not too long. I am hoping we can make the Oktoberfest and to get her to try them then. Just need to see if we can visit the in-laws next weekend.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
@Old Fartbag, thanks - so maybe not too long. I am hoping we can make the Oktoberfest and to get her to try them then. Just need to see if we can visit the in-laws next weekend.

Being more familiar with her standard - fill her stats in to confirm (link now provided).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When my daughter was 13 and went skiing with the school she took my 190cm and loved em.
(Like her dad, she is an utter show off Laughing )
But they were "PINK"

I thought I had better take a peek at the "End of Week Group Photo" from 1981
and now I'm in tears .. her best mate from school is posing next to her,
little Anna, who had succumbed to cancer within 3 years while awaiting the outcome of her GCSE
Straight A's of course.

Tell her that Black Skis are for the black runs, she may believe you, but she already knows that Red Skis are the best.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry I just had to remember little Anna, her dad was a Japanese minor ski racer,
Ooops it was 1991 not as above.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, how awful. It catches you sometimes doesn’t it.
snow report
Hi Nicky, just to be sure .. it was not my daughter who died it was her best mate at school.
It was so sad though.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, I got it. We had similar, Ellie’s best friend from nursery days (they had drifted apart to “just” friends through the school years) died when they were in yr 4 or 5, again from cancer. Every now and then you find a picture with them in. Leavers do at end of yr 6 was the worst. So many groups / class photos with him in.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, I (slightly) think you might be getting too hung up on the length thing. And I doubt that the "instructor" in question knows what she weighs...

If I were you my concern would be whether she's on "junior" skis which are too soft. Length is somewhat meaningless, in and of itself.

If they are "junior" skis, does she feel that she's over powering them? By overpowering, I mean, does she slide when she's trying not to? If she's otherwise quite happy, don't fix what isn't broken.

Longer skis won't necessarily be better. Hard to tell without seeing.

Oh and websites that don't use metric measures are IMMEDIATELY suspect.
latest report
@under a new name, TBF to the instructor you can get a good idea of her weight from looking at her and these lessons were in the summer on a dry ski slope to nothing about her build is hidden.

She is certainly comfortable on her 140cm, I will ask her the question as I couldn’t tell from observing her.

As we are flying we can only take one pair of skis out with us (per person). I don’t want to end up needing to hire in resort not prebooked (it is a peak week) and if the ones I have kicking around are more suitable and we don’t take them that is quite a waste.

Also if something in the middle would be better I will be keeping my eyes on the sales section here, for something cheap (but no idea what - hence the call for advice from those with far more experience than me Happy)
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Oh and websites that don't use metric measures are IMMEDIATELY suspect.

That website also ended up limiting the combinations I could select presumebly as they didn’t sell a suitable ski to match. So was a little suspicious Happy
ski holidays
@NickyJ, where you going? I plan to be at the Sallanches ski jumble in November if you want me to have a look out?
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier - though anything second hand, would be better to have time to give a service and wax before hand (again due to flying don’t really want to take all the stuff out with me Happy). Thanks for the offer though.
snow report
@NickyJ, good points! No worries Happy
snow conditions
Having had 3 daughters I recommend testing her colour resolve by getting her to contribute to new skis. Only you would know how this would work in your family but suggestions are:-
Entire xmas present
Entire Xmas and birthday present
If she has a job of any sort, she gives you half till half of skis are paid for, etc. Etc.
snow report
@twoodwar, absolutely Happy

Thankfully we are able to go to Oktobertest. So she is going to try my old skis. always29 has a similar sounding pair to mine going spare, and she is going to let her try them and she can also try any suitable ones which are bought along to the ski test. This way she can make a proper informed decision.
snow report
I put my sons measurements into the calculator, choosing expert skier and aggressive, they advised 106-112cm. He currently skis 151cm GS skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

This way she can make a proper informed decision.

@NickyJ, you do realise that she'll just look at the colour of the various options though, don't you? And just bomb down the slope whatever. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mgrolf, this is a distinct possibility. However should be fun evening nonetheless snowHead
snow conditions
SkiTest was definitely a success.

She hated my old skis
She tried the Dynastar Isntense 8s in 151cm and liked them as much as her current skis
She tried Always29s 154s and liked them more than my old skis but not as much as her current ones or the Dynastars.

So I am looking out for the Dynastars second hand... though apparently she wants them in Blue..... hmmm. Maybe colour is still playing a part!
ski holidays
If a teenager really isn't keen on getting new skis this sounds like a non-problem to me. If forced/persuaded to use different ones any problems, including poor visibility or toothache, will be your fault!
ski holidays
@pam w, absolutely Happy

We are sticking with current ones for the moment but keeping and eye out for ones she likes. She did like the Dynastars (kept them on for several more runs than the forced just try them for two runs!). What is good is she now knows what a few others feel like.
snow report
These skis have come up locally on ski bay.

Can anybody recognise the model for me? Also any ideas how they would ski given my daughter hated my old Attraxion skis but did like the Dynastar Intense 8s

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTExMDE3NzcyMDk6Vks6MjI0ODY2NTcxMTkyODY2MQ%3D%3D
snow report
No idea but they seem to have quite dated graphics. And a cheap look to them.

And, IME, unless you know someone and their skiing quite well and vice versa, others opinions about what ski someone might like are meaningless...
snow report
Am also skeptical of people in this day and age posting with crap pictures...

Anyway being both a geek and a google image ninja, they are these,

https://www.skis.com/K2-Remedy-75-Jr.-Kids-Skis-with-Marker-7.0-Fastrak-Bindings-2015/392449P,default,pd.html

When they were still available new but prior seasons looks like you could buy for about £150 ... and bindings only go 2-7.
snow report
Quote:

and bindings only go 2-7

She'd be right in the middle of the range then shirley
snow conditions
musher wrote:
Quote:

and bindings only go 2-7

She'd be right in the middle of the range then shirley

Exactly she is currently on 3. We couldn’t set the Intense 8s low enough for her!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Am also skeptical of people in this day and age posting with crap pictures...

Anyway being both a geek and a google image ninja, they are these,

https://www.skis.com/K2-Remedy-75-Jr.-Kids-Skis-with-Marker-7.0-Fastrak-Bindings-2015/392449P,default,pd.html

When they were still available new but prior seasons looks like you could buy for about £150 ... and bindings only go 2-7.

Thanks for working out what they are. Which means they are actually 149 not 150 suggested and if understand correctly twins tips ride shorter as well, probably means they won’t give her enough effective extra length on top her top of her 140s...? Is there a rule of thumb as to the effective difference being twin makes on the effective length? Thinking they are probably not worth it, due to that.
snow report
@NickyJ, Mini_mgrolf had these skis (not the same topsheets, but the same model) 3 years ago. She was about the level you describe your daughter, but smaller (can't remember how much, maybe 150cm and 35-40 kg). They're decent skis - wood core not foam, sensible flex, not too wide. Now she is about the same size as your daughter (a few cm taller and a couple of years older) and I'm thinking that she needs to move on from her next skis (Volkl Mantra Jr, 158).
I'd say the Remedy Jrs are on the small side. Mini_mg loves her Mantras, though purists will point out that rockered skis aren't the best for encouraging good technique in kids (mini_mg is a tidy enough skier, doesn't seem to have hurt her).
ski holidays
@mgrolf, thanks useful to know Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy