Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts near milan bergamo

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking to ski in Italy in Feb, March 2020. Any recommendations for a resort within a couple of hours from Bergamo which would suit intermediates, offer good food and a nice town, cheers in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of hours doesn't give you a huge number of options, 2,5hrs would give you either Bormio or Madesimo in Italy or the 'break the bank' option of St Moritz in Switzerland. Bormio ticks all of your boxes with good intermediate skiing, a nice town and being Italy, you get the great food as well. I have never skied in Madesimo, but as Bergamo is one of my options for flying, it's somewhere that I have always wanted to try
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Appreciated
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slightly quicker than Bormio would be Fai della Paganella above Trento. Linked to Andalo.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Macro, following on from @grollox, we have been to Madesimo many times and think it might suit your needs. It’s not very big but enough there for a week. Good village with great restaurants and very cheap compared to the glitz resorts. Espresso’s are €1 and Pizzza < €10 on the mountain. There is also a full size ice rink which the kids loved. Been to Bormio in Summer Which seems much bigger and feels like a town instead of a village
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Two visits to Madesimo.

Highly recommended.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely a longer drive at around 3 hours but that would get you to Cervinia which is a bit of an intermediates paradise. A pleasant town with lots of good food options. It's not picture box pretty but also gives the option of skiing over Swiss side in Zermatt (but without the Swiss prices).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Bormio, slighly linger than 2 hours but it's a pleasant easy drive, past the lakes then lots of tunnels, no hairpins. Lovely town, good skiing. Look at Chalet Tania, we had several good holidays there
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Madonna di Camplglio.
Great skiing and nice town.
Very easy drive from bergamo and just over 2 hours.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We had a good trip to Ponte di Legno (same ski area as Passo Tonale) in late March 2018. Report here. Fits your criteria for a nice town and good food. About 2 hours from Bergamo, which I think is quicker than Bormio. The ski area is a bit small for a whole week, but plenty of resorts nearby for excursions if you have a car, and there are various lift pass options which also cover some of these. We visited Pejo, Aprica and Monte Altissimo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very much appreciate the advice
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With a clear run, Aosta is 2:12 according to googlemaps.

Direct gondola link to Pila from there.
As Aosta is not up the mountain, fewer problems of snow/ice and no slow winding roads to negotiate.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro wrote:

As Aosta is not up the mountain, fewer problems of snow/ice and no slow winding roads to negotiate.

I thought I read somewhere that the toll roads were expensive from Bergamo to Aosta? Maybe I was confused though...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did passo tonale from Milan bergamo. Think it was about 2.5hrs drive
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I second Madonna di campiglio, good skiing, nice town.
snow report
I went to Alagna from Milan a couple of years ago. Excellent off-piste in the Monterosa
snow conditions
1. St Moritz
2. Madonna
3. Andermatt
4. Flims
5. Monterosa
latest report
there are ski resorts in the hills behind Bergamo about an hour away
snow report
Biblu wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that the toll roads were expensive from Bergamo to Aosta? Maybe I was confused though...

The Mont Blanc Toll is 60 euros return. I love La Thuile but was gobsmacked at the toll.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

I did a weekend in Foppolo in 2008. Very small resort but it was ok for a couple of days. Really nice hotel (des Alpes I think) which didn't cost a lot. With a car could probably tour round a few of the small local resorts.
snow conditions
@S@mm084, it was from Milan Bergamo and not Geneva!

@Biblu, according to this website - http://www.autostrade.it/autostrade_en-gis/percorso.do the road toll is €29.00
latest report
Claude B wrote:
davidof wrote:

I did a weekend in Foppolo in 2008. Very small resort but it was ok for a couple of days. Really nice hotel (des Alpes I think) which didn't cost a lot. With a car could probably tour round a few of the small local resorts.

that's the kind of thing, there is a small ski area above Bellagio which I cycled to in July - San Premo. Quite a few areas just over the border into CH as well.
ski holidays
Macro wrote:
Hi, looking to ski in Italy in Feb, March 2020. Any recommendations for a resort within a couple of hours from Bergamo which would suit intermediates, offer good food and a nice town, cheers in advance.

Madonna di Campiglio is very nice.
snow report
davidof wrote:

As Foppolo is only 60km from Bergamo, tempting for a weekend break. However the Foppolo ski area used to cover three ski areas, Foppolo, Carona and San Simone. It appears San Simone does not operate any more, meaning a small combined ski area has got smaller
snow conditions
This is my understanding:

San Simone was a completely separate area (and yes, it appears to have closed). Perhaps it'll reopen?

Foppolo-Carona were - and still are - linked, but a number of lifts were scrapped (after vandalism?) a number of years ago, reducing the size of the area drastically. The area then had some serious money problems, which continue. I think there are plans to replace them at some point, but the resorts may struggle to find the money.

I too am tempted by the short drive from Bergamo, but it might be a better region to visit in a few years time depending on how things go.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-10-19 16:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
if you can stretch to three you can get to the western end of the dolomites - Seiser Alm/Alpe di suisi - then you have limitless pistes
ski holidays
As a tail end tip - stay in Bergamo for a night on your way back. It is a beautiful walled city and not too touristry. Great food and plenty to see.
snow conditions
There are some small resorts in the big and dramatic mountains just North East of Lake Como.

If you want a nice town
Aosta is quite big and offers a lift up to Pila

Bormio and Cortina are reasonable sized towns.
You could drive over to Briancon. Lively town and great skiing at Serre Che
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank for all of your advice, we have gone for Madonna di Campiglio, looking forward to it
ski holidays
@Biblu, according to this website - http://www.autostrade.it/autostrade_en-gis/percorso.do the road toll is €29.00[/quote]

What a great website! The Italian tolls are one of my concerns arranging ski trips out there so this a great reference, thanks for the link!
snow report
Macro wrote:
Thank for all of your advice, we have gone for Madonna di Campiglio, looking forward to it

Great resort! I can recommend the Villa Madonna if you've not booked somewhere already. Also check out the 'Ristorante Pizzeria Belvedere' - great pizzas at a very reasonable price
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy