Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jobs in/near the Mountains

Poster: A snowHead
@swskier, Great for sticking with it.

I have American and UK colleagues in Munich, have visited them a number of times. Great city, quite convenient for weekends in the mountains.

Working for an NGO in Geneva is basically a dream for many, many people. A friend and ex-colleague of my wife's works for the Red Cross in Geneva but lives in France, just behind one of the small Jura ski stations. He pays no -- as in zero -- income taxes; education at private school is also paid for. They live exceptionally well, let's put it that way.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pasigal wrote:

Working for an NGO in Geneva is basically a dream for many, many people. A friend and ex-colleague of my wife's works for the Red Cross in Geneva but lives in France, just behind one of the small Jura ski stations. He pays no -- as in zero -- income taxes; education at private school is also paid for. They live exceptionally well, let's put it that way.

take note if you ever give your hard earned to one of the chuggers in the high street.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pasigal, well that's just made me regret the £100 I donated to the Red Cross for Ukraine rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, interview yesterday, I thought it went fairly average, but had an email by the late afternoon asking me to do a 2nd interview, at which point that is the final stage. So things are starting to look like a real possibility.

Still feel like visas is going to come up as an issue and scupper everything, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Going to drag this thread up again.

After 7, yes 7, interviews, I was unsuccessful at Amazon.

I have however just come across the Austrian very highly qualified workers visa, and wondered if anyone had any info/been through this system?

https://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/permanent-immigration/very-highly-qualified-workers/

I'm going to get in touch with the Austrian embassy, because I think (hope) my undergraduate degree, plus ACCA qualification will be counted.

I just then need a job on >€50k, and adding in my years of experience, plus age and native English language, I think I can clock 70 points, which gives me what is required for the visa.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, you would be able to apply for a Category D Visa which would allow you 6 months of residence in Austria in order to find a suitable job for which you would qualify for a Rot Weiß Rot work visa. During these 6 months you would need to be self funded, including paying for adequate health insurance. But I would stress that the number of suitable jobs available for non-German speakers is low.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
Going to drag this thread up again.

7 sounds like a lot to me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any employer who needs 7 interviews to figure out whether you are the right fit for the job is a complete joker.
I would not want to work for them!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, @Steilhang, it was the most ridiculous process.

I think the usual process is you have an interview with the hiring manager, then one of their peers, then you'd go in to the office and meet those 2 again, plus 3 from outside of your area of work. With covid, that's now just held as 7 separate interviews.

At the least the feedback they gave was helpful, "we can't give you any specific feedback due to internal privacy policies, but it will be based on your answers to the behavioural questions asked in the interview".

Needless to say, I won't be pursuing a career with Amazon again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:

Needless to say, I won't be pursuing a career with Amazon again.

I understand why you went for the interview but I have been phoned by Amazon and Google for interviews.

In Amazon's case I told them I didn't want to work for them because they had a reputation as slave drivers... they tried to convince me otherwise but the job description practically said you had to be available 24/7 - it was remote work on AWS.

Google hiring have called twice. Both times I said I wasn't interested in sitting their "tests" and the hiring process was too long for my liking.

What do you expect? they asked me

"to spend half an hour with the manager and maybe do a short technical interview"

On the second occasion the Googlebod said "but we're Google!" in a hurt voice. I said that they were no longer The Place to Work and would have to try harder.

I hope you find something that interests you and wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 16-06-22 18:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It does seem they almost put the interview process together to prove a point more than anything. Amazon bang on religiously about their leadership principles, and it's all based around that.

Seems a bit excessive for an accountancy role.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swskier wrote:
It does seem they almost put the interview process together to prove a point more than anything. Amazon bang on religiously about their leadership principles, and it's all based around that.

Seems a bit excessive for an accountancy role.

Suspect if you got through rounds of Amazon you should walk into a role somewhere a bit less competitive. Don’t underestimate your gut feel about the company and hiring manager!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Well, I now feel glad I didn't bother with their inquiries. (to be fair, none of the inquiries were the kind of work I wanted to do)

Quote:

I think the usual process is you have an interview with the hiring manager, then one of their peers, then you'd go in to the office and meet those 2 again, plus 3 from outside of your area of work. With covid, that's now just held as 7 separate interviews.

That "usual" process sounds way too complicated!

Why do you have to talk to the same 2 people you've already spoken to before? Don't exactly understand the "3 from outside of your area of work" either.

But perhaps accounting is a different type of work? I wouldn't know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier

For Austria there are other options than the "Very highly-qualified" Visa.

Look at other links from the page you quoted above -

https://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/permanent-immigration/skilled-workers-in-shortage-occupations/

If your qualification is in short supply in Austria, or even just regionally in one of the Austrian States, you are eligible to apply if you score sufficient points:

https://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/permanent-immigration/austria-wide-shortage-occupations/
https://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/permanent-immigration/regional-shortage-occupations/

"Accountant" appears on both lists of shortage occupations - e.g. for Salzburg, from where there is lots of skiing. ("Salzburg" means Salzburgerland, so the whole region, including the mountain resorts.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, I had a similar bad experience with Google, lots of interviews over a few months, passing with flying colours supposedly then the "hiring manager" suddenly deciding I wasn't suitable and unable to give feedback on why!
latest report
Keep us updated, had similar thoughts myself as someone in same industry that still has my freedom.
latest report
davidof wrote:
... Google hiring have called twice. Both times I said I wasn't interested in sitting their "tests" and the hiring process was too long for my liking.
... "but we're Google!" in a hurt voice. I said that they were no longer The Place to Work and would have to try harder. ..
Yeah, I stumbled on some stuff about their interview process, and they very much seem to have lost the plot, which is good news for start up businesses. I looked at Google health some time back, and that was a laughable and stupid product in the UK, so much so that the Tories lapped it up, until someone finally told them all why it could never work. I guess their recruitment process isn't much use, then.

Dunno about Amazon, but I'd not give their collective opinion a great deal of weight because they too are a massive organisation.
ski holidays
@quinton, appreciate that, I think the girlfriend found something about cost accountants being a shortage of skills, so i'll take a closer look when I get the chance.
snow report
@swskier, it is a shortage industry, but you would need an equivalent Austrian qualification. It might be possible to have nostrification for UK qualifications, but I am aware of people who have had to re-qualify in order to work in certain Financial roles in Austria. Plus jobs for non-German speakers will be far less common.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
davidof wrote:
... Google hiring have called twice. Both times I said I wasn't interested in sitting their "tests" and the hiring process was too long for my liking.
... "but we're Google!" in a hurt voice. I said that they were no longer The Place to Work and would have to try harder. ..
Yeah, I stumbled on some stuff about their interview process, and they very much seem to have lost the plot, which is good news for start up businesses.

What I saw were they set a load of tricky questions which wouldn't be my cup of tea in an interview. I'm not sure why they even contacted me tbh as I'm way off their age profile.

That said, I did an interview a few years ago where they set a difficult logic problem that I was able to solve, so not entirely past it. They seemed quite impressed with my reasoning and offered me the job and I probably should have taken it but I'd just finished quite a long stint in CH and needed a few months break. The job may have involved earning some serious dosh in Baku but being away from home again didn't appeal much.

One thing is sure, if you want to travel the world and the seven seas #learntocode.
ski holidays
@Mankei, I have an ACCA qualification which isn't specifically UK based, and they do claim to be the most Global, so it would be interesting to see how it was viewed.

There's a couple of specific roles that cropped up on LinkedIn that want English speakers, and it was those that made me look in to this in the first place, but appreciate those opportunities are rare. Learning German is also on the list!
snow report
@swskier my experience was that post-university qualifications (and the associated equivalency issues) seemed to only be an issue in public practice. Nobody in industry was asking for them, but they were quite happy to accept my qualification as equivalent to the finance-focused degrees they were asking for (and which I don't have).
latest report
In my usual come back to this thread for a job that i'll not likely get due to visas etc, on this occassion I have an initial interview next Tuesday with a company in Jenbach, Austria. (Wouldn't be difficult to work out which one based on those that accept English speakers and @LittleRos will definitely know which place i'm talking about)

Also a potential of a role out in Kelowna, British Columbia in a business that a close friend works for having migrated from the UK. That role is a bit more of a long term potential, but might involve a holiday in July to meet the owner. This option in some ways is the favourable way, but in others (particularly flying the dog over, getting home to visit family) is the less favourable option.

We shall see where next Tuesday takes us, but my hopes are low based on the application needing you to have a Visa, but I did state on the application I don't have one, so you never know!
snow conditions
Good luck! Please come back and update the thread as this is something I dream of doing most days Smile
snow report
Good luck, you dodged a bullet with Amazon.

I got my latest job without even having an interview, they just asked me to turn up to work one day and I did. They've just rejected someone else after an interview and someone asked how I got in "they didn't interview me, that must have helped, I guess they were desperate" I replied Happy.

I'm bodyshopped so they can always let me go at the end of the contract or possibly earlier with the agreement of my boss, so it is not a huge risk.
latest report
@russ_e, will do, in hindsight I probably should have done my best to get out pre-brexit, but timings didn't work with finishing my ACCA qualification and experience etc, plus buying a place at home.

@davidof, I don't have any regrets not getting the Amazon role, except it being a potential way over to main land Europe!
I need a company like yours to get me in also!! Laughing
snow conditions
FWIW my sister and her boyfriend both recently moved to Salzburg working for Aldi. She was seconded from the UK and they sorted everything for her; he applied to Aldi in Austria and got the job completely separately from her and they sorted visas/residency.

Both work in English, decent salaries, relocation packages, and as Aldi apparently struggle to recruit locally in Austria (not sure why!) both their teams are very international (EU and non-EU).
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
FWIW my sister and her boyfriend both recently moved to Salzburg working for Aldi. She was seconded from the UK and they sorted everything for her; he applied to Aldi in Austria and got the job completely separately from her and they sorted visas/residency.

Both work in English, decent salaries, relocation packages, and as Aldi apparently struggle to recruit locally in Austria (not sure why!) both their teams are very international (EU and non-EU).

Good tip.

I see Aldi have some high level jobs. They have a book keeping/accounting job paying 50 grand, could be ideal for swskier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, thanks for that heads up! I'll take a look at their website.

I was in touch with the Austrians today about the Red-White-Red card for highly skilled workers, querying the length a degree needs to be (minimum 4 years, which seems odd as UK are 3 as standard), but they came back within a couple of hours, and also suggested the skilled shortage occupations, of which accountants are on the list, so that's a good option, and again I can get enough points for that visa also, more so than the highly skilled worker visa.

They also suggested this:

If you have a valid (e.g. Tourist-) Visa, you can also apply for a RWR-Card during your lawful stay in Austria (until recently, this was only possible via a Job Seeker Visa for “Very Highly Qualified”-applicants).

So there's a few possible routes here. Looks potentially promising.
snow report
Just spoken to HR again following my interview last week. Last week turned out to be a generic chat with HR, as the role i'd applied for wasn't actually a live role, but to get a pipeline of candidates. I've been passed on to a live role and a further interview next week.

They are having to have conversations with their legal team re visas which they're still waiting to hear back from, but a step in the right direction.

Fingers crossed it leads to something.

The ideal job came up today in Chamonix with Black Crow, which i've also applied for, but again, i'm reliant on visas there.
snow report
@swskier, just keep at it. We are sort of in the long-term hoping to transition to jobs or remote work that will let us live near Geneva. We have French citizenship, which helps, but are "older," which doesn't...as I noted upthread frontalier jobs are the cherry on the icing on the cake and our friends who have them paid their dues for a long time...I don't recall if you speak French or German but if you learned at least enough to be basically proficient if not fluent, that could help, too.
latest report
@Pasigal, I definitely need to improve my language skills, I can't even get by in either French or German, so I need to focus on one of them to open up the jobs available to me. Probably German as that covers most of Switzerland and Austria, but my French although basic is a lot less basic than my German.
snow report
@swskier, your friend in Kelowna do they happen to be married to a doctor and are a ski instructor and mountain biker
ski holidays
@Timbobaggins, no that's not them. He is an instructor, but not working as one out there. If you've met a couple out there where she is very Bristolian and he is very Scottish, then that's likely them.
ski holidays
@swskier, nope my friends Daughter is a UK Doctor working in Kerlowna and her husband is a level 4 Canadian ski inst.
ski holidays
@swskier, if you’re a non-EU you also need BASIC level language certificate (i think A1) for a swiss B permit now.
snow conditions
Was invited to an interview with CERN in my early 20's, didn't bother as I was happy in Cheltenham. Regret it a bit now though Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

if you’re a non-EU you also need BASIC level language certificate (i think A1)

A1 is very basic isn't it? - should be doable in a few weeks of hard work?
ski holidays
@pam w, yes its just a level of faff and something to sort out before getting to visa application stage
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

Cool. More childcare wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy