Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gnarly.......

Poster: A snowHead
I have heard this term a few times this year(not before) including on this site today, and was wondering what it meant in skiing terms.
any offers?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's to do with someone's skiing, it may well mean that they are skillful at jumps/grabs, etc.

If it's to do with snow conditions, it normally refers to poor quality snow/ice/rocks/...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
... or referring to somebody (like a guide) who has spent 'too much' (is there such a thing?) time exposed to high alpine weather elements ... and cannot find their razor ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
agavin, ah yes, I forgot that one!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well I think when I've heard it, it must have been in reference to the snow quality ,ice rocks thing.But its good to know it has other meanings.Now I can react more convincingly when I hear the term again.Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I always thought that if something was referred to as gnarly, it meant that it was challenging, possibly with some severe exposure, but ultimately rewarding. Similar to "sick, dude!"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, me too! Our instructor said that once after my lesson - 'Just off to do some gnarly stuff now!' I always thought - boy, glad we didn't do that in my lesson.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Urban Dictionary has quite a few definitions which seem to show its 'hip' ancestry in the surf/skate board community. Most common usage seem to be as a form of 'hardcore!!!'.

PS - Quite a fun website actually ... could definitely increase your slope cred with borders if you studied it wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Couple of boarders on the bus to Aspen were discussing how the "Gnarliest (sp?) way down" usually won the competition.
It could have been a sketch - no idea what they were on about most of the time. (Doood!) rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gnarly in this context means challenging as Kramer says..its replaced 'rad'
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
agavin, why would one want more "street cred" with boarders anyway? I ski therefore by definition I cannot have any more street cred than that. if skiing was easy it would be called snowboarding
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, agreed Laughing ... but sometimes you have to humour 'those' who don't have such depths of wisdom Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Knee Deep, it's been pinched from mountainbiking, like everything in the world of cool. snowHead

In that context, you'd be looking at a steep, greasy, rocky, rutted and generally technical section that does look as gnarly as any old oak you care to point at.

In skiing, it's anything above a green. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill wrote:

If that's true for you, I think you need some lessons...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

If that's true for you, I think you need some lessons...

Very true, although I fear I may have peaked. Embarassed
snow conditions
Oh dear god. It's like teaching Granpa to use the computer, and Selfridges having a "display" homage to Punk, all in one.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
marc gledhill, I think it originates from surfing rather than mtb. "Gnarly sets" being particularly big and/or messy groups of waves.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy