Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski gear

Poster: A snowHead
On the hunt for girls ski jacket and salopates. Looking for a shell (no insulation) and pit zips anything else is a bonus (lift ticket pocket, snow skirt etc). Girls are 5 years old 120cm would prefer in pinks or purples. Only stuff I have came across is skogstad and dare2be. High end brands ie norrona dont seam to make anything this small but to be honest probably to expensive. Any help appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have bought Obermeyer, Patagonia and CMP (cheaper), most of the kids stuff I've seen for that age seems to be insulated but try here if you are looking for new https://www.winterkids.com/ - its a US site but can ship overseas, there are a few unknowns in terms of what you might get stung on in duties etc but the low US prices will probably offset this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Decathlon? Or I buy for my kids on eBay - usually kids only use it for a week or two so everything I bought was like new
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a quick look on the US site and decathlon and they all seam insulated. Maybe I am going the wrong direction with a shell, all the manufacturers can't be wrong!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kids get cold easily, why do you want a shell ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last feb was very warm they where even skiing with no gloves. I believe a shell with selection of base layers would be a good solution for a range of weather.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do 5 year olds need pit zips? That will probably limit some very good options. We've had cmp and dare2be via amazon/ebay all of which didn't last, but my daughter is very rough on her gear.
We've been happy with Mountain Warehouse, tough as nails and cheap. This 3-way jacket just came in the post. It came up small/slim but will do perfectly for autumn/spring skiing, plus playing outside and wearing to school. Might be worth a look?
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/kids/jackets/kids-3-in-1-jackets/lightning-kids-3-in-1-jacket-p13476.aspx/bright%20pink/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergans (of Norway), Haglöfs, Peak Performance, and Didriksons all do good quality kids stuff.

https://www.outnorth.com/children/children-s-clothes/children-s-jackets-vests

https://www.outnorth.com/children/children-s-clothes/children-s-trousers-shorts?f%5Bsize%5D%5B%5D=5-6%20yrs&page=2
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keep an eye out for Lidl (Crivit brand name) and Aldi offers. Their outers are cheap & cheerful, however their merino underwear has been worth it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surfanic.

Skiing without gloves is a bad idea IME.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, why is skiing without gloves a bad idea?

@Canuck, I find the pit zips one of the most valuable tools i have for controlling my temperature why would it change with kids? they get equally peaky if they are to hot as to cold.

@Spoons good call with bergans came across sjoa 3l, i should have looked there 1st as their current gear is bergans which has been exceptional quality!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kids can have different thermal management requirements as well as physiological differences than adults such as differing thicknesses and distribution of sub-cutaneous fat & muscle.
If they are separate from you (i.e in a ski school), they may forget to adjust pit zips once open
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get some Norwegian onesies from Bergans with insulation. A shell for a wee one is not ideal IMHO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WASHOUT wrote:

I once left my gloves in the chalet, only realised after getting on the first lift. On the ski back down I put my hand down when turning a bit sharply and the ice ruts cut into my hand. Maybe I was unlucky.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want 'nice' colours for girls we used Boden at that age. It was good stuff and always lasted two seasons. Also bright colours help you spot little ones easily. See loads of solid pink, grey and blue jackets. Never needed armpit zips for my girls, kids don't sweat in those areas like we do. It is insulated but in warm weather they just wore less under layers and undid the front. They wore the trousers as well, and rarely needed thermals underneath. As long as they drink, getting hot is not really a huge issue for kids skiing. Better to err on the side of caution as you never know when chairs etc will stop. Leaving them at the mercy of winds in shells is not conducive to enjoying their time on skis. Once older we swapped into Decathlon and one has a Roxy jacket now. I'd love to be able to afford the more costly brands but prefer to have 2 trousers, 2 sets of gloves etc. Word of warning I got an Aldi / Lidl shell and found it was fine but it did not keep my arms warm which I really did not like and did not think the Aldi/Lidl kids gloves were up to much. The Aldi/Lidl merino base layers are very good though and the snow boots for kids were great, warm but also kept the water out, as icy puddles are completely irresistible at that age.
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:

Sharpened ski edges I'm guessing, and not necessarily their own.

A while ago I was lucky enough to have a week's group lessons from a guy that was responsible for instructor education in the area, had previously fractured his spine in a MTB accident and didn't believe that skiers should feel pressured into wearing a helmet. So not overly concerned with health and safety, but he absolutely wouldn't let anyone in his groups ski without gloves, "for protection". I follow his advice and make sure my kids do too.

As for jackets, I think you're overthinking it, My daughter's currently got a lightly insulated HH jacket that got passed down to her after my son outgrew it. It's done Norway in -25 and Italy in +15. No pit zips, just unzip the front or ditch it in a restaurant if it gets too hot.
snow report
Hi all - just on the same hunt as the OP - looking for 'spring skiing' shell jackets for my kids, we've just added back protectors to their regular gear but this means that even with just a T-shirt underneath, they are getting really hot in insulated jackets, even with the jacket open. We are going this April and am worried they will boil alive.

I can find plenty of hiking type shells for kids - but none of these have ski pass pockets... everything with a built in pass pocket seems to be insulated.

Plenty of companies seem to do outer shells for adults (with ski pass pockets), just not for kids. I don't get it. I've already looked at the brands listed on this thread but am having no joy.

Any tips? (I'll also take tips on pass pockets that could securely attach to an anorak so not get forgotten in the apartment. But need to not be able to be broken by an fidgety 8 year old boy!)

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy