Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aftermarket insoles - necessary or only if you have pain?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys

Just wondering if aftermarket insoles are something that you would recommend for everyone regardless, or only if people are experiencing pain/pressure/discomfort issues?

I know the stock liners that come with boots are pretty terrible but I haven't noticed any pain with my boots so far and was wondering whether it was purely a pain issue, or are there performance improvements that are possible as a result of having third party insoles?

I don't necessarily mean custom insoles, just the third party ones like superfeet etc that give more arch support for example.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't imagine you will see any performance improvement with either custom insoles or third party insoles unless you are having specific issues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The first pair of boots I had with custom moulded insoles made a huge difference to my skiing. Not necessarily a improvement in performance but the confidence the increased comfort gave me. I didn't have any pain or specific problems with the previous hire boots or purchased boots, it was just the better fit of the insoles and I could wear the boots all day without undoing them. I now wouldn't consider having another pair of boots without them. I'm talking about the heat moulded ones not the Superfeet that appear to just 'wear in' to the shape of your foot. I'll stop here because I think the beer is wearing off...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@karansaraf, I’m with @davidof.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Insoles surely are about fit, with fit comes performance. It is conceivable that whilst std OEM insoles do not on the face of it cause pain, they may still not offer the best in fit and control. A competent boot fitter should be covering this when you purchase boots, and would help with the do I need in soles or not decision. Off the shelf Insoles I suspect are unlikely to make any difference in a ski boot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bob, I should have been clearer. I think that's also a possibility. Anyway, defo not off the shelf items.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to note this is the Snowboard section of the forum. I’m with Davidof though, I don’t think there’s a massive performance gain to be had from an off the shelf footbed.

I’m also confused by your ‘stock liners pretty terrible’ comment.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My comments above only apply to ski boots, didn't notice this was in the snowboard section.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In general yes, it's a strong recommendation - a good insole is only going to hurt in a tiny handful of cases.

If you've got issues though they're not automatically going to solve them. You're saying you don't have issues though - I reckon they're just nice and comfy and supportive and good to have. I can't see them making things worse.

With a layer of material under your foot, you'll be closer to the boot over the instep (the top of your foot - not the arch of your foot, that's called the arch). Sometimes with people with a high instep this can be uncomfortable, but it's quite rare.

If they fit well enough to help restrict pronation then there's the possibility they'll effectively make your foot smaller in the boot length and width-wise. If your boot was too big then you could notice this, but it's often counteracted by the reduced space over the top of the boot holding you better there.

Just talking about snowboard boot fitting in general, I tend to fit them to the correct size, rather than down a size which I'd generally do in ski boots for a good skier. In a snowboard boot you'll often be on the heel edge and driving your toes into the front of the boot - kinda similar to what happens when you ski back-seat. An extra cm at the front helps here. It's also really useful for splitboarding, when you're trying to slide and glide you can't focus on flexing the shin muscle and keeping the toes back 100% of the time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the useful information.

Had my boots heat molded today and the guy said he'd be happy for me to try out the "off-the-shelf" variety to demo the next time I go to the snowdome.

Having put a couple of different pairs in my boots today I could feel a difference, in that I noticed better heel-cup support and my arch felt more supported/secure on the medial aspect of my foot.

The guy said he didn't think it was necessary unless you had issues but that a lot of people found it quite comfortable, and he himself thought the arch support suited him. He felt that the arch support tends to collapse with the stock ones over time so he preferred the aftermarket.

I'm going to ride with the insoles next week (might even do one foot stock, one foot third party) and see how it feels. I'm not expecting performance changes, but I'll see if one feels more comfortable over the other. If not, then very happy to not have to spend more money on gear (though it's only £20).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do find it strange that you pay, say, £400 for a pair of boots in the expectation that you will ditch unused insoles. It's a bit like buying a new car and changing the seats before leaving the showroom. I don't in any way disagree that custom insoles will improve skiing but why don't the boot manufacturers make better insoles?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The insoles included with most boots are little better than floppy cardboard whereas a proper custom insole is "posted" i.e. properly built up and solid under your arch etc.

The idea if to stop superfluous movement in your foot so that all movements are transmitted to the skis. A properly built footbed for you will also keep the foot from spreading which otherwise might see you in a boot which is bigger than it needs be.

So it might seem like a typically upselling scam ( do you want the special extra wax treatment on your new car, sir?) but it really isn't.

Now comes the snowboard caveat. I'm pretty sure that the same logic holds in general for snowboarding particularly re boot size but I've bever found my corked ski insoles particularly comfortable in snowboard boots so generally reverted to superfeet stock or the Buton semi posted jobbie that came with my boots. That said my ability to snowboard is now very restricted due to crippling nerve pain I get in my front foot so if it was my only option I'd probably be looing at the best footbed I could get in the best boot ( or even considering going hardboot)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have an insole for my right boot after having been diagnosed with a shorter femur on the right side. This went undiagnosed until I was in my mid-30s and learnt to ski, when I seem to get more than usual levels of back ache. The actual difference in bone length was hard to pick up as the body naturally adjusts, but once a doctor measured the femur length, it was obvious. I went to a sports lab and body analysis combined with a gait analysis was really valuable and worth the cost: they then made me a couple of right insoles specific to my needs. They're actually only 2mm or so thick (the overall difference is 4-5mm) but they make all the difference, especially for running and particularly for skiing.

So I think, yes, an insole can be very useful but it needs to be for a specific condition or body characteristics as determined by medical investigation and/or sports lab analysis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remind insoles FTW!

Stock insoles suck big time. I have custom insoles made at TSA in London but the remind ones work better and are more comfortable and at a third of the cost. So to summarise, performance = minimum, comfort = maximum.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@karansaraf,

Peoples feet are different, so stock insoles are no good for some people.
off the shelf insoles should offer better support, but someone who does have support issue, really should get custom liners.
As for snowboarding, a good fitting insole can help in keeping your foot in place better. You have already noticed better support in the heel cup, which should help you on the heel edge &/or combat any heel lift issues.
ski holidays
karansaraf ....... sorry but it's easy to overthink this, or maybe see it as yet another possible short cut to being a better rider more quickly, when combined with the tone your other posts ......

Quote:
or are there performance improvements that are possible as a result of having third party insoles

Sometimes you just have to ride and within reason all the fine tuning in the world won't overcome that ......

The truth is unless you've specific issues that need remedies, I'd ride the boots you've got and go from there so I side with the more sober opinions expressed here ...... wink
snow report
Insoles if they are the correct fit in either types ie, custom made or superfeet will help stabilise the foot in the boot .
They can do alot more... but stabilising the foot in the boot counts for alot .
You need to value bootfit at £130 for customs which many dont and wont but superfeet are like £35 so I use both this is key in my opinion .
Myself I failed with 3-4 custom insole purchases worldwide then finally got S4F to make some and advise on superfeet type sizing and exact fit .
I binned the past customs then used superfeet for two 12 week seasons and was convinced so next had s4f customs made then used them for 12 weeks .
Personally my outcome was very positive with both .

If your sizing superfeet up 3 or 4 important points too consider even if the salesman/monkey doesnt are .

Heelcup width...the heel has to sit in it and not overlap like a fat gut
Arch lenght ...often not considered and more differcult to see by sales gumbys (that dont even know what it is .)
Arch height ...ie black is low ,blue is medium,green is higher in general ...others exist now .

Volume change from inserting a insole is also to be considered and then boot sizing comes into it as most are in oversized boots so insoles are often sold on this false fix of the oversized boots ....basis .

Sometimes (like boots sizing numbers are just a guide ) to get all these important fitting points correct you may need to use bigger superfeet cut down in lenght at the toe. .
I took a F size about a 10-11uk on the box and cut about 20mm off it because F size had the needed arch lenght and fitted my feet optimally .

All this is part of bootfit so as with boots you really need a expert fitters advice.... this is where most fail..... as with bootsfit .

Alot of the people making custom insoles just do a course (possibly with the certified real fitters) it doesnt mean these kids have any experience .
This fact is why superfeet are a cost effective place to start and also use over summer .
Some people need time too get used to them as they feel weird so I believe its best to use them all summer putting time on them .
This brings on experience in different shoes over lots of milage and terrain .
Only a greater time frame of "practise and testing" brings on results in sport .....you cannot buy a shortcut no matter what anyone says .

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 9-12-23 16:58; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
muddewater wrote:
I do find it strange that you pay, say, £400 for a pair of boots in the expectation that you will ditch unused insoles. It's a bit like buying a new car and changing the seats before leaving the showroom. I don't in any way disagree that custom insoles will improve skiing but why don't the boot manufacturers make better insoles?

Cost
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
muddewater wrote:

Cost

Margin, for manufacturer, and additionsal margin for retailer/fitter ..
ski holidays
I Have custom footbeds in my snowboard boots, my ski boots and my cycling shoes. They were a big improvement over the standard snowboard ones and made a massive difference in my cycling shoes. When I bought my ski boots, I had them made in the shop at the time of fitting the liners.
latest report
Hello! I have been experimenting with boots and bootfitters in the stores have not been giving me help... I am using mid-arch insoles for both boots and left seems to be comfortable. Getting some cramping and heel discomfort in the right. I swapped out the arch support for the insole that came with the boot and seemed to feel much better. I am thinking that my right arch may be closer to a low arch. Would be advisable to use and try mid arch for left and low-arch for right? Or, would my right foot get used to the mid-arch? Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
@pseast, welcome to SH's.

Where do you live? We can recommend a good boot fitter which is the only sensible option.

There is a knowledgeable boot fitter on the forum who may also pop up and help.
latest report
thanks, I am in Toronto
snow report
Are you using 'off the shelf' insoles, or are they moulded/fitted specifically for each individual foot?
ski holidays
And, @pseast, are you skiing with them or just trying them on at home - which doesn't give you a good idea of fit or not, typically.
ski holidays
When I bought my board booties I also got superfeet insoles. After about 4 weeks of pain in my front (larger) foot I put the burton one back in...pain gone! But I have remained with the superfeet insole for my smaller rear foot. I do have abnormally different size feet though and the superfeet insoles are marginally thicker than standard Burton ones.
snow report
Quote:

At least they have an insole. Imagine trying to explain to someone why a £5k bicycle doesnt come with pedals Laughing

Partially cost. But also it probably doesn't make sense. Most people do fine on factory snowboard boot insoles anyway. Those that need insoles probably already have some or have a preferred shape/brand they want so end up replacing the factory ones regardless.

Ime some of the more expensive boots do have better insoles as standard.

Quote:

Just wondering if aftermarket insoles are something that you would recommend for everyone regardless, or only if people are experiencing pain/pressure/discomfort issues?

Only needed if you are experiencing pain/discomfort ime. Having worn boots with and without aftermarket insoles I don't really think there's any significant performance benefits.

If you are experiencing pain* just buying some off the rack insoles may or may not help. You really need to buy the specific insole to fix whatever issue you have. Seeing a trained professional and maybe getting some custom orthotics is probably the way to go.
latest report
some boots has really gut inline soles (at least for snowboard boots) e.g. Vans, and some other are totally crap (eg Salomon)
Others are somewhere in one or to the other way.

There is a theory, which says when you buy boots that are exact in your MP or a little bit smaller, then you should invest to aftermarket insoles, with good arch support, because if the boots insoles has not arch support (eg. Salomon) then your feet will stay more flat in the shoes and you feel the boots smaller as they are

I make the test with the Adidas Tactical ADV. They are 27.5 MP and my feet 27.8-27.7
With adidas Soles they feel smaller as with the aftermarket insoles.
However the difference could be 1mm or less. But sometimes the 1mm is really important.

Unfortunately someone has to try and see what works.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can be handy if you need to reduce some volume in your boot for sure. Superfeet blue are often the difference between me being able to wear a boot or not as, despite massive improvements in the last 10 years, the insoles that come with even high end boots can still be a bit on the chunky side
ski holidays
In the OP question, soles with no pain.
About 10 years back I bought some mid-priced (EUR 90) soles for ski boots (that were as comfy as ski boots are).
I stood on the various machines, and the fitter heated them and cooked them ( or whatever it is they do).
Did they make be a better skier - nope.
Did they make me think I was a better skier - oh hell yes.
I was Konrad F Bartelski once I had 8mm of melted plastic and foam under my feet.
Because I had spent money to make me better - I was automatically a better skier ( in my mind).
In hindsight 90 quid on a lesson would have been a better investment.
I only ski 1 or 2 days a season now, so use them in my brogues when going for a stroll - still makes me feel special Smile
My board boots have always fitted well and been super comfy.
I put the soles in them a couple of times to see, but TBH it was no more comfy and didn't feel like I had more control or anything, so put them back in my Brogues. I have tried various other brands of boots : Burton, DC, Vans, Salomon, 32, but I ended up going back to trusty NorthWave Decades.
I get about 200 days from a pair so it's about a quid each time I use them which is pretty good value, if you think that ill-fitting hire boots are about 6 quid a day.
IMHO if you boots hurt, go to a fitter and get it sorted, if not spending your money on lessons will probably have a better long cost benefit.
snow conditions
I have had stock insoles, customs, superfeet and off the shelf ones by remind. Stock ones went in the bin. Superfeet we're like razorblades and the custom ones were great. Arch support was what I needed and the heel cup was good too. They were a little uncomfortable after a week or so, so I thought I'd try out the remind ones for about 40 quid. They were almost as good as the custom ones and slightly more comfortable so I've stayed with them now for about 6 years riding 2 to 3 weeks a year. Work very well for me and reduces my feet from flattening and spreading out. I overpronate though I don't have flat feet. Hope this helps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy