Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, it was Pre St Esprit. It had been stopped for 3 mins so the queue had built up to a whole chair's worth.

Chocolate chaud and a generous genepi in Bulle (separate drinks I should clarify) was €7.70 which I was very happy with.

Today's is an interesting juxtaposition of TV news about Australian fires and the storm raging outside. Skis schools are out, but I really wouldn't want this to be my first day learning to ski.

Couple of lifts open in the 2000 bowl, but I can only think for cynical and commercial reasons. It is foul out there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quick note for anyone in resort, the road between 1600 and 1950/2000 is being closed 11am to 1pm for avalanche clearance. No traffic, including the resort shuttles, will be allowed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok I'm out skiing. It's pretty grim. Strong wind poor vis and heavy snow. So far we've made it to the follies douche. (Phone auto correct gives amusing alternatives.).
It is quite expensive, but nice in here. A small beer is 7 euro. Not that I feel like one at the moment.
I think we'll head towards vallandry but not sure how to get back to 1600. But if Shackleton can get across the south Atlantic and south Georgia just to save a few lives I'm sure we can get back to 1600 for fun
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All lifts closed in 1950 now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We just got up to 2000 before the road closed - vis was zero at times. Now got the wristband on in Club Med
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The lower section of the transarc was open so have got over to vallandry. The barmont blue piste was in good condition and proved worth going out for. Now in the rilax restaurant in vallandry having lunch.
Looks like we can use the transarc or charmottoger to get back
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
5 Euros for a large beer.

johnE wrote:
A small beer is 7 euro

Make mine a large one. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To confuse the matter a small beer is 33cl
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m confused so a large beer is 5 euros and a small beer is 7euros?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Large beer on the terrace in a plastic cup was 5 Euros. I didn't go inside. Might have been an opening special?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, or Happy Hour?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair wrote:
@rob@rar, or Happy Hour?
Maybe, but I didn't see any signs. I had a very quick scoot around 1800 on Monday afternoon and called in to Folie Douce around 4pm to have a look, and had a beer while I was there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was a lot busier on the piste today. There was even a big lift queue - 5 minutes at the transarc. Not surprising really since it was one of the few
ways out of 1800.
Amazingly the sun came out late in the afternoon so we had a quick run down arolle. I've never seen that run so busy. Clearly everyone else thought powder - trees arolle just like us
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The road from 1600 to 1950/2000 will be closed overnight, from 9pm to 7am.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's like a different world up here.. cut off from the outside.
Fortunately we have sufficient wine to keep us from going stir crazy..
ski holidays
The 1 day in La Plagne option has been removed this year for the "Classic" pass. Sad

You'll either need to buy the €20 daily extension at the Peisey lift pass office (2 mins from the Vanoise Express - the other side of the main Peisey lift), or the 'Essential' pass, unlimited access to both domains which is €41 more (for 6 days), which also gives you the other benefits as per the website.

I know this is an old post, but on https://www.lesarcsnet.com/ski-passes/guide/about-ski-pass-options-in-les-arcs-and-paradiski-649673 (8th Nov 2019) they still state that for the Classic Pass '...passes of 3 days or more also include a free pass to ski the La Plagne side of the area for a day'. I wonder if this is just out of date / cut & paste from last year or if maybe (wishful thinking here) this is still true? Has anyone tried a Classic pass for a day on both sides of the Vanoisse Express this season? The Essential pass is a bit of an extra hit for us (family of four) and we'd probably only head over from Les Arc to La Plagne for one day of our week.
ski holidays
For those of you who know the area really well could you give some advice on the feasibility of getting to lower areas when 2000 is closed? We are on looking at our second non-ski day and wondering if there is a way around it. Happy to sit on the shuttle for a while but wondering if it is doable and worth it.

Any thoughts?
snow report
@snowlamb, there is often a few more of the lower lifts open on the 1600/1800/Vallandry side if 2000 is mostly closed because of bad weather. Keep an eye on the lift opening and if the Cachette chairlift is going to open it is worth making the journey by the free resort shuttle to 1600 (the main bus stop in 1600 is a short walk from the Cachette lift). There are some nice runs, mostly through the trees, from the top of the Cachette, and it will allow you to ski to any other of the lower lifts which are open on that side of the ski area.

Looking at the resort info, it seems that the top lifts which go to the top of ridge between 1600/1800 and the 2000 bowl are going to be closed (I'd guess all day as they have a lot of safety work to do with all the fresh snow), but lots of other lifts will be open.
snow report
@snowlamb, yes as @rob@rar, says you can get the navette to 1600. From there the cachette lift will link you into the rest of the resort. We are in 1600 and it is where we started yesterday.
My experience when I tried this year's ago from 2000 was that the navettes were struggling and not keeping to the timetable.
A lot of the 1600 area was closed yesterday. We made our way over to vallandry. A low level route to vallandry is to get the navette from 1600 towards 1800, get off at the jardin d'alp lift and ski across from the top of that. The top of cachette is pretty bleak
snow report
@snowlamb, We own in 2000, the bus in your only option and can get very busy. You can ski down to bottom of Pre Saint and get bus from there but often the bus is full but if high lifts shut then bus...
snow conditions
Still snowing, either lightly or a bit heavier. Pisteurs are busy blasting this morning, the place has been rocking for an hour or so.

ski holidays
We are still on our apartment awaiting inspiritation to go out.
Who is heading out when?
latest report
Blasting started at 5am round this side of the mountain. Road opened at 9am. No pisteurs yet so planned opening of Marmottes and PsE lifts a little later, others to follow once top is made safer.
Bus is your way forward.
snow report
johnE wrote:
We are still on our apartment awaiting inspiritation to go out.
Who is heading out when?
I'll be heading out later. Fancy meeting up at the Arpette this afternoon, maybe 3pm, for a coffee and to put a face to the name?
snow report
@johnE, may sit until 11 I think. There's significant snow depth out there! Been wandering around the village and it is hard going.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, if you're thinking about heading around to our side, fancy meeting up at the Arpette this afternoon?
snow conditions
If we can get over may look for you then Rob, John. Will depend on lifts over the ridge tho, and the rest of the party!
snow conditions
3pm in the arpette it is then. It'll give me some inspiration to get moving. It retrospect yesterday was hard going
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our corner apartment in 1950 (H du G) looks directly out on the slopes and Marmottes 32 and Pre Saint Esprit lifts. Neither running at the moment. Blasting started around 5am and some sound and feel pretty close! Our daughters (12 and 9) are not keen on venturing out today. To be fair, neither are we! Maybe this afternoon if the wind dies down a bit. I think a wander around the village and possibly a trip to the spa this afternoon is on the cards for us. Roll on sunny Wednesday!!
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
3pm in the arpette it is then. It'll give me some inspiration to get moving. It retrospect yesterday was hard going
Excellent. The forecast is for the weather to ease as the day goes on, in fact there was a momentary glimpse of blue sky a few minutes ago which allowed a view up to the ridge where is is obvious the wind is still very strong up there with the amount of snow being blown off. The weather soon closed back in and it's snowing heavily again!
snow report
We are staying in BSM it has been pouring with rain almost constantly since Saturday evening. Yesterday we drove up to Plan Peisey, when we got there parking was a bit of a nightmare, the rain turned to snow between Peisey and Plan Peisey. I know we could have got the funicular but I wasn’t keen on taking my family up to the top of the Cachette chair and we were a bit concerned about getting stuck in Peisey/Vallandry. If we go up the Funi today and head over towards Vallendry is there a bus that would get us back to either 1600 or BSM should the lifts shut?
ski holidays
@CH1975, it was not too bad getting from the top of the vallandry lift to 1800 a bus is easily done from there. The top the traverse piste from the mid station of the transarc is above the tree line and not so pleasant. As I posted earlier you can get from 1600 to vallandry without going up cachette
snow conditions
@snowlamb, THE ONLY risks with the shuttle service are : if they close the road again, you can't get back, and : if they are open, it will become incredibly busy.
For those of us fortunate enough to have multiple skiing weeks planned, we can afford to wait it out, but for many like you, I absolutely see the need to get out there. Be lucky!
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@CH1975, it was not too bad getting from the top of the vallandry lift to 1800 a bus is easily done from there. The top the traverse piste from the mid station of the transarc is above the tree line and not so pleasant. As I posted earlier you can get from 1600 to vallandry without going up cachette

Thanks. How about the other way Vallandry to Arc 1600 by bus?
latest report
Its possible to get from Vallandry to 1800 on a navatte and then get a different one to 1600, but it's a bit of a PITA to be honest, easier to ski. Or at least ski to 1800 and then pick up the bus.
snow conditions
There is a shuttle bus berween vallandry and arc 1800, but it is only a minibus and runs infrequently. I've never used it. Nor know anyone who has. Personally I'd ski back to 1800 and catch the navette.

It looks brighter outside now so I think we'll start getting ready
ski holidays
Thanks. We are going to get the funi in an hour or so and see what’s it’s like once we get up there. As long as the and or Peisey lift stays open we will be okay.
latest report
@johnE, I've used it quite a few times when I've been in the Mont Blanc and stayed on after the lifts have shut. As you say infrequent and it also often misses out some stops when the driver then swears blind he did go to the stop. Despite the fact that you've been standing there waiting and clearly saw him not turn up the road.
snow report
Definitely some action out there now. Marmottes and Pre St Esp running.
ski holidays
Still just the one lift going on this side of the mountain. Not v. crowded tho: I think a lot of people are on the'wait and see' list.
Weather closed in again, and wind getting up, so we're staying indoors for at least another hour.

But a bad day in the mountains is always better than a day in the office (or Christmas preparations scrum!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy