Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

As I say, supposedly Monday for details on what this blizzard of points will buy us.

They could say 5000 points but without knowing what a point is actually worth this is meaningless
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, quite.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arctic Roll, no discounts or benefits for your guests if you self-manage?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, not seen any yet - but Monday is the big reveal!

(I fancy it would be a "put the price up by €25 and then give everyone a chance at a €25 discount..." type of deal. Cynic? moi?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, Thanks for heads up on owners lift pass scheme. Will wait and see what comes tomorrow but will more than likely now wait until a few days before we arrive on the 4th and check the forecast. In 2000 if the weather closes in its not worth going out at times and that make Ski La Carte more attractive...........https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/les-arcs
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thefatcontroller, Have mine sitting with the passports and train tickets all ready for Friday! (And am hoping that first time through the gates hey "just work", and I don't need to take the walk of shame back to the village to get them fixed...)

Am just sorting through the clothing - I really REALLY ought to take better inventory what we leave in France and what comes home (so I can ski elsewhere during the winter) cos I've no idea if I need to take all the base layers, all the mid layers, all the socks... #FirstWorldProblem
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone else have problems with Ski a la Carte today? Leisurely start and down to first lift: Card expired 30/09/19, even though it renews automatically. Off to Lift Office: It's not your card, it's all of them; it may work tomorrow. We shall see...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@195062, What did they do to get you ski-ing today?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a couple of questions for any of you good people that know Les Arcs like the back of your hand:

1. I am heading out with my Daughter in Feb, who is Vegan....so what's the availability of places to eat on the mountain. She's not looking for anything fancy.

2. Is there anywhere in Arc 1600 that will service my skis with my preferred edge angles (1,3 or even 1,2).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

@195062, What did they do to get you ski-ing today?

They gave me a day pass and linked it to my account, I assume - I'll see if it shows up on my ski days. If not, I've had a freebie.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

2. Is there anywhere in Arc 1600 that will service my skis with my preferred edge angles (1,3 or even 1,2).

Call into the Intersport next to the Sherpa and talk to the technicians there.

Sorry I cannot reccomend any vegan resaurants. I have never searched them out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Call into the Intersport next to the Sherpa and talk to the technicians there.

Sorry I cannot reccomend any vegan resaurants. I have never searched them out.

Thank you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Old Fartbag, sorry, can't advise on vegan restaurants.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First day on the slopes of the season for me today - the weather yesterday was horrible and little was open, so I didn't go out.

Cover generally very good with just a very few slightly bare patches; a little hard first thing but softened up nicely. Still a bit warm this evening so I shall be interested to see what it's like tomorrow.

Took a while to get the links open, so started in 1800 and Peisey direction. Quite a few people around with not many lifts open led to lift queues I wouldn't expect to see at this time of year. Even when they did get the routes to 2000 open there did seem to be quite a few lift reliability issues. At one point the only route back was by Comborciere, which had a particularly impressive queue. Still, all the problems seemed to get solved pretty quickly.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair wrote:

I may have to rely on "The Google".

It doesn't need to be a Vegan restaurant - just somewhere that has some dishes a Vegan can eat.
snow report
Quote:

At one point the only route back was by Comborciere, which had a particularly impressive queue. Still, all the problems seemed to get solved pretty quickly.

Did your essentials lift pass help jump the queue.

In the olde days with the slow comborciere lift there used to be some massive queues when the Ours lift was closed I used to nip across the road and get the bus back
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Alastair wrote:

I may have to rely on "The Google".

It doesn't need to be a Vegan restaurant - just somewhere that has some dishes a Vegan can eat.

France is a country that lives on meat and dairy. Veganism is growing but still not as big as UK. I think you will struggle on the slopes if she is very strict. I would bring some extras with you and hope local slope supermarkets have done stuff but it won’t be easy.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
I would bring some extras with you and hope local slope supermarkets have done stuff but it won’t be easy.

That is the plan - also bringing some snacks from the UK.

Google does show some scope - but was looking for direct experience, if possible.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
I would bring some extras with you and hope local slope supermarkets have done stuff but it won’t be easy.

Google does show some scope - but was looking for direct experience, if possible.

There from 5th for a week. Will keep an eye.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

There from 5th for a week. Will keep an eye.

That's kind. Thank you.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

At one point the only route back was by Comborciere, which had a particularly impressive queue. Still, all the problems seemed to get solved pretty quickly.

Did your essentials lift pass help jump the queue.

No! The priority queues don't seem to be running yet - presumably because only season passes are likely to be full area passes as the Vanoise Express isn't yet running.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, the supermarket in 1950 caters for many food allergies and life-style choices: bring a rucksack over if skiing this side of the divide! Also the 1950 bakery (L'Arc Dore) does vegan stuff I believe.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, There was actually an article on Vegetarian and Vegan food on the Les Arcs Net website a little while ago, although unhelpfully I don't seem to be able to find it now. I know you asked about on the mountain but I do know that Le Kozy and the Cherry Garden in Bourg both do very good vegan options. I've been keeping my eye on this as my other half in vegan and I'm hoping that she'll come out next year. If you do find anywhere else I'd be very interested to hear about them.
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
First day on the slopes of the season for me today - the weather yesterday was horrible and little was open, so I didn't go out.

Cover generally very good with just a very few slightly bare patches; a little hard first thing but softened up nicely. Still a bit warm this evening so I shall be interested to see what it's like tomorrow.

Took a while to get the links open, so started in 1800 and Peisey direction. Quite a few people around with not many lifts open led to lift queues I wouldn't expect to see at this time of year. Even when they did get the routes to 2000 open there did seem to be quite a few lift reliability issues. At one point the only route back was by Comborciere, which had a particularly impressive queue. Still, all the problems seemed to get solved pretty quickly.

Those lines!! Can't wait to get out!
snow report
Half day for me today (things to do) and most pistes holding up reasonably well albeit a few stones at lower levels. Higher levels look rather windswept. Some pistes probably being held back for next week - the Varet, Clocheret and Aiguille Rouge lifts aren't running yet and pistes such as Golf, Secret and Combourciere not yet open. Still warmer than ideal.
snow conditions
@Alastair, I doubt that Comborciere will be opened until well into the new year. It does need a fair bit of snow to cover the bushes
ski holidays
@johnE, I'm hoping the lift will open (has been open when there at Xmas before) the runs may be closed but lift is a great way from getting back from 2000 to Vallandry
latest report
Just had a great first day - mixed conditions but the snow is definitely better around Peisey Vallandry area
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I apologise if this has been answered already but we're arriving in Arc 2000 on Saturday and it's likely that my son's ski boots will need tweaking. Had been intending in taking them to Filarinski but sadly they've closed.

Any recommendation for a boot fitter in any of the areas? Would rather go to someone recommended then just take pot luck.

Thanks
latest report
@Boris, Alastair reported the lift as open yesterday, but with a big queue since Ours was closed. Belvedere all the way from the top of Comborciere to Valandry is one long piste. Do you do it non stop?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 16-12-19 18:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I tend to stick to Blues but, if conditions permit, I'm keen to try a few Reds next month.

On past trips I've looked down from the Derby chair at the red Bellette run and thought that it looked very blue for a red.

What is it about the piste that makes it a red? Are there steep/gnarly bits that aren't obvious from above or from this clip ?

Any advice would be appreciated

http://youtube.com/v/oiN_cE6FQB8
snow report
@ukredsox, the bit from about 1.05 - 1.20 is a bit steeper than yer average blue. Well, quite a lot actually. But wide enough, and less steep on skiers right.
But its one of our favourites and if conditions are right, it is certainly one to look as a progression from blues. There may be some speed jockeys on it - this footage has been taken at quite a gentle pace.

@snowlamb, you could do worse than ask in Equilibres. http://www.arc2000-ski-rental.com/services.php Locals and independent - they may not be able to directly help, but will certainly know the best bootfitters in town if it isn't them.
snow report
@ukredsox, All the reds in the Vallandry area are straighforward. Bellettes is no exception. On the left hand side it is quite steep but if you keep tight to the right it really isn't much more than a blue. Your youtube video shows it as it is, it is a big carve blast. It is rarely crowded so you can really let rip on it, especially on spring snow.

Along with combe it is one of my favorite reds in sector.
snow conditions
Pleased to report that the 'Paradiski' priority lines have put in an appearance today. Not needed as not a queue in sight - much quieter than yesterday.

@johnE, quite a lot of people appeared to have been skiing down it. The pisteurs have helpfully left a large gap in the 'closed' fence at the top so that it doesn't get in your way.

@Boris, the lift is open - which is where I took the picture from. It's the pistes underneath which aren't open yet.

@ukredsox, as @Arctic Roll and @johnE say it's only the short section which is a bit steeper than a blue. It's very wide and a great place for picking up a bit of speed on. Great run - do it once and you'll want to do it again.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag,
these people seem to do vegan, and you could pick up in Bourg on the way through:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150104&highlight=
snow report
Quick question - can you get back to Vallandry from the Folie Douce without taking a lift - staying at Le Foret / Caverne at the top of Vallandry
snow conditions
Quote:

Quick question - can you get back to Vallandry from the Folie Douce without taking a lift - staying at Le Foret / Caverne at the top of Vallandry

Yes, walk upto the Bevedere piste. However, be warned, the pistures frown on you skiing down the piste after it has been closed. Make sure you are not caught.
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Old Fartbag,
these people seem to do vegan, and you could pick up in Bourg on the way through:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150104&highlight=

Thanks for that.

We are on a transfer coach with a TO and staying in a hotel - so it's really about getting a list of places that have Vegan options, while on the mountain.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, gotcha. Will keep an eye out for you next week.
ski holidays
Thanks John - we weren’t thinking of making it a late one - just didn’t want to be racing to get lifts - ahem - when you say walk up the Belvedere - how far are we talking!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy