Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No hold baggage for a week's trip - doable?

Poster: A snowHead
Pricing up a second winter trip and am trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible. Adding hold baggage more than doubles the cost of the flight.

Has anyone been for a week's holiday (actually, it would be 9 days, with 8 days skiing) with carry-on baggage only? This would be with Easyjet (not Ryanair fortunately, as their cabin allowance is tiny).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If all your underlayers are Merino maybe! 3/4 days on easyJet hand luggage is certainly do able.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@denfinella, are you planning on taking ski boots?

If yes, it'll be tight but doable - just use the wear one wash one method and you'll be fine, especially with merino
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, if you can do a wash while you're out there. Many self-catering apartment blocks have a shared laundry and drying room. Ours does. Yes, I know for some people, doing a wash on holiday is antithetic, but personally, 40 mins in total written off to go to the basement and do a wash, hang it up, then collect it is worth it for easier packing and reducing the luggage to carry-on only.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the risk of drawing unfavorable comments, I did this last year. I went Ryanair with a (roughly) 10kg bag and a small, under-seat bag which cost me £6 each way more than my cheapo ticket. I took enough socks, undies and base layers for each day, a few t shirts, a pair of jeans and a wash bag. I also fitted my ski boots in the larger bag! Nicities like goggles, sunglasses, other clothes etc I put in my ski jacket pockets. I wore a gillet and a hoodie as well on the way out. It worked out well and I didn't offend anyone... Go for it, I say.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sure...
if you plan on skiing in a mankini
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On return from a ski holiday last year, I took my stuff out of my normal holdall and put it in one of those maximum sized 'carry on' backpacks, just as an experiment.
It all went in (except boots..)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. It's just occurred to me that I could just pack a bag as a test and see if it fits. There's no weight limit for cabin baggage (just a size limit) which means I can pack as densely as possible.

@PaulC1984, we don't have ski boots. However we don't have any merino layers either - just normal t-shirts. We'd be looking at bargain basement accommodation too, so I'm not sure there'll be easy access to a washing machine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
denfinella,

It's absolutely do-able - particularly if you don't have ski boots. We always manage it - even with ski boots! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doddle without boots:

2 pairs of ski socks (wear pair A day1&2, wash at end of day 2, wear pair B day 3&4, wear washed pair A days 5&6)
2 Helly Hansen merino/lifa base layers (get three days out of each, honestly they don’t smell) If really cold wear both.
Midlayer of your choice (primaloft waistcoat for me)
2 merino long johns
ski pants (shell in my case)
helmet/gloves/goggles/ couple of buffs
2 polo shirts
underwear and socks
washbag

Travel in jeans/long sleeve shirt/light down jacket/shell jacket/sensible boots that cope with snow. Fill pockets with phone, charger, sunglasses, wallet sandwiches etc. etc.

I reckon I could manage all that plus boots in a maximum size wheelie case if the helmet was outside
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
There's no weight limit for cabin baggage (just a size limit)

Really? I thought there was a weight limit of about 8kg.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Orange200, not with Easyjet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I warmly recommend the CabinZero 44 liters backpack, it's lightweight and easy to handle, you can easily make it thinner and more compact using its straps.
On their website they show all flight companies requirements.
https://www.cabinzero.com/products/classic-44l-ultra-light-cabin-bag
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FWIW I go a whole season on merino thermals without washing them Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all. We've booked now, and will see how it goes. <£50 each, return, so hopefully worth it. Edinburgh to Verona with Easyjet - a useful new route announced just a couple of days ago.
snow conditions
Access to a washing machine? As a matter of course I always wash my socks, kecks and base layer I’ve worn that day in the shower and dry them on the towel rail or radiator.
snow report
latest report
It's a doddle - even with ski boots as hand luggage. Done it loads of times.

I can quite easily manage with:
- Same jacket & trousers every day.
- 2 ski polos.
- x1 set thermals.
- 2 pairs ski socks - fine for 3 days per pair.

For evenings:
- Ski jacket.
- 1 pair of jeans (which I also travel in).
- 2 T-shirts (one to travel in, plus one for every night I'm away).
- Fleece (also worn as base layer for skiing, if necessary).
- Snow boots (which I also travel in).

Easy peasy.

I'm just bemused when I see someone:
- Checking in 22kg of luggage.
- Out on a night in leather jacket, dancing trousers etc - all completely unnecessary (In my humble opinion - but each to their own and all that wink....)
snow report
Providing you send your gentleman in advance with your trunk I fail to see what the problem is.
ski holidays
@denfinella, I did it for a 4 day weekend trip, end of season, when quite warm during afternoon.

snow report
But I thought everyone on snowheads skied with:

2 shovels (a spare in case their "mate" selfishly brings only a transceiver)
A probe
A snowsaw for building emergency shelters
An extra large swiss army knife to skin a snow leopard in case you're caught out overnight
A fully avalanche airbag

All of which will need to be checked...
ski holidays
Pay for the luggage!
latest report
Thanks - as above, I've now booked the flights without hold luggage.
ski holidays
But @denfinella, a 23kg hold bag between you would only add £19.99 each to the cost of the trip!
I guess we all have our priorities... Confused
snow conditions
Indeed. We're on a tight budget, so saving £40 is welcome if we can do it without too much inconvenience. I'm struggling to keep within budget for this year's trips compared to previous years (not sure if that's due to inflation, exchange rate or something else). If it turns out to be a big hassle then we probably won't do it again.

Also, the flight tickets are so cheap that it makes the baggage cost seem relatively expensive, even though that's not really the case.
snow conditions
"...I'm struggling to keep within budget for this year's trips compared to previous years...." don't tell Stanton...…!
snow conditions
£40 = 10 Beers.
snow conditions
I would rather have 10 beers than clean boxers! : Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy