Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2019 / 2020

Poster: A snowHead
@Peter S, According to the met office Wednesday,Thursday and Friday are going to be pretty settled. I'm glad I cancelled my trip at the weekend and rescheduled for those three days as it's been pretty blowy up there and my 9yr old daughter would've only had tormenting me as entertainment for most of the trip. Toofy Grin
As it is we're experiencing much anticipatary stokedge (not sure those are real words). snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon Glas Maol will open Wed/Thu
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe strikes me as a good place to go to avoid coronavirus. There is no way it can survive the Highland climate (or the Macaroni pies) and the lift network is essentially self quarantining with no cable cars, no gondolas and no enclosed chairlifts Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ha Ha! Macaroni pies! I've never noticed that particular delicacy on the menu before. Something else to look forward to. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saturday at Glencoe will be the best day of the Scotland 2019-20 season.

Full white coverage, blue sky, yellow sun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Potato top scotch pie, cures all evils.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Someones flattened Glencoe and smoothed all the bumps and troughs out Smile

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Global haggis prices rising due to lack of natural terrain traps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks as though today was a belter. Pity I could not make it up Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A day at the Lecht - great fun, quiet and good snow. Good chat with all the staff. Rarely had to share a piste. Tomorrow looking even better.... could do worse...!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ps would post a pic if I only knew how....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
efsefs wrote:
Ps would post a pic if I only knew how....

You can post a pic by saving it in the snowMedia zone (which you can get to using the snowBase tab at the top of the page) then copying and pasting the link in your post. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some astounding pictures emerging from the Scottish centres today Cool

PS. Isn’t the Haggis Trap over 20 feet deep Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's glacier forming depth... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi - v tempted by a last-minute trip to Glen Coe but it sounds like they have limited ski hire due to the fire damage at the base building.
Anyone know if you can rent stuff in Fort William? Thanks.
ski holidays
On the webcams, the Canyon looks flat as well Shocked
latest report
I’m currently crocked and off the snow, but called in at Glencoe this morning as I was passing and wanted to see how things were. Conditions look wonderful, but I have never seen the car park busier even at the weekend.
snow report
We've just got back to our digs after spending the afternoon at Coe. It's rammed with snow! You can ski top to bottom. Met office says it's going to carry on for the next two days then the temps are going to start creeping up. Off for a fish supper now.

Not the best piccie but hey..
snow report
@HotDogger, nothing wrong with the pic snowHead
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Saturday at Glencoe will be the best day of the Scotland 2019-20 season.

Full white coverage, blue sky, yellow sun.

Curse of whitegold strikes again. Forecast is rain at all levels now.
ski holidays
I made it upto Glenshee for the afternoon yesterday, superb conditions, every lift going on the Cairnwell side, car park full but no real queues, the three man tiger chair is making a huge difference.
I believe Glas Maol, Fionne etc all good to go as well but they were having issues with the poma that accesses those areas.
The SIGB ski test were also there yesterday having switched from Pila, loads of good skiers on the hill.
Looking good for the next while up there I would say Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

loads of good skiers on the hill.

Clearly.........I was working so not up there Very Happy
snow report
@alasdair.graham, glenshee was great yesterday (Wednesday)! We had an amazing day. Almost got bored lapping the tiger by every conceivable variation. Glencoe amazing today.

latest report
Introduced the young un (Moodog) to the cliffhanger chair today she's been trying that little gully jump at the bottom of the canyon run. Managed to ski almost all the way to the carpark on the blue run. It was an absolutely fabulous day again and the drive to and from Ballachulish is outstandingly beautiful....

Back again for more of the same tomorrow!
ski holidays
The snow pack in Glencoe was stunning today. In the morning it was compact deep, with about 1 or 2 inches of fresh on top.

The afternoon was sunny and tiring as there was so much to ski

I even had time to play with some camera angles and capture my sunglasses hanging out in the sun

latest report
Ta for all the reports folks! Looks amazing.

Almost disappointed to be off to Austria for a week on Saturday... wink Hoping for a continuation of the amazing cover when we get back.... Very Happy
latest report
@mountainaddict, me too! Still haven't managed a trip to any of the Scottish areas this season despite the excellent conditions over the past few weeks.

On the plus side, the medium term forecast (after a couple of rain events over the next few days) is for a continuation of cool westerlies and further snow for Glencoe / Nevis in particular. So I don't think a major melt is on the cards in the near future.
snow report
Well our last day was fantastic. Pretty flat light all day but not much wind and just so much snow! Decided against skiing back to the carpark as the blue is now broken. Perfectly doable elsewhere but didn't want to tempt fate with the young-un.
Macaroni and Potato top pies ticked off too. Macaroni pies are awesome.

Literally the only bit of blue-sky we saw all day.

All the staff are brilliant, friendly and helpful and they really add a lot to the experience. Good on yer Glencoe. Thankyou very very much! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GEFS output is indicating a return to cooler conditions from next Tuesday for Scotland and northern England. May just be temporary though Puzzled
snow report
Old photo (from Nevis Range), from 2016, but worth a repost.

ski holidays
@Peter S, winds not looking great though (only checked Winterhighland, to be fair). Itching for a trip up to Coe or Shee; latter looking safer. But with all these folks being advised to go yo Scotland rather than abroad, I'm afraid that it'll be busier than the Dollies!
ski holidays
Yes G. thinking of a trip up to Scotland this weekend. Should be a lot safer than the Alps but lifts could be busy unless UK skiers are put off by events this week ?
snow report
I'm suspecting busy because of people being turned off Europe
snow report
Glencoe always seems to get rammed on decent days, I'm potentially in the area Thurs/Fri depending on what MWIS says this evening!

anyone thinking Nevis will be less rammed??
snow report
If the weather is good all the Scottish ski areas will be busy, the best place for mountain weather is here https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/cairngorms-np-and-monadhliath I think this is the site the ski areas use for their forecasts.
ski holidays
@kitenski, yes, Nevis is usually less busy then Glencoe. That's not to say it'll be quiet.

Conditions across Scotland have been good for a while now, so I would imagine that weekdays will be starting to get a little quieter now (relatively speaking!) as the initial frenzy subsides. Having said that, if Friday turns out to be the first day in about a week with decent weather... Confused

Weekends will probably still be very busy indeed, but that wouldn't affect you.

Overall I wouldn't be too worried about midweek queues at any of the Scottish resorts - it's very rare indeed to get a combination of good snow, good weather and no queues - so to get at least two out of three (which looks to be the case on Friday) would be pretty good going.

Wherever you end up, arrive early (ideally by 8.30am, at a guess?) so you'll be one of the first in line for lift tickets and ski hire - otherwise you can waste over an hour before even getting on a lift.
snow conditions
@denfinella, Has it spot on.
My thoughts are that the majority of people attracted to the Scottish resorts (apart from the Scots) are from the north of England as it's a hell of a trek from the midlands let alone the south. So probably won't be that much busier than normal even with people not being able to travel to Europe. I think most people who haven't ventured up before have the misconception that it's all slush and sleet.
With our Coe trip we only used the pomas and the cliffhanger chair but never had a queue with more than twenty or so people in it and most of the time it was a two minute wait even on the Friday. The ticket office was the worst of it : even at 9.15 there was a good quarter of an hour wait on the Friday morning. The car park was pretty much full by 10am.
The hill itself seemed far from rammed, probably because it's such good coverage that people are able to spread right out.
I've been there on a weekend before and never found it unbearably busy.
snow conditions
West is best on Fri.
snow conditions
hmm, tempting to still gamble on Thursday!

MWIS:

Low confidence of detail in the forecast: Southwest, may turn northwesterly later, risk 35-50mph, but a possible lull.
Snow & hail; risk prolonged

Detail uncertain, but considerable risk areas of snow and hail showers merging to constant precipitation for several hours with whiteout. Locally may escape drier for periods through the day.
snow report
@kitenski, if windspeeds are forecast to be borderline (and 35-50mph is indeed borderline), Glenshee and The Lecht are usually more likely to stay open.

Just a warning - it rained heavily on Saturday and will rain again tonight, so it might not look as photogenic this week as it has recently. Should still be plenty of good skiing though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy