Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb half term, La Thuile v Avoriaz???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, has anyone been to both resorts over a Feb half term? I’m trying to find out which one will have shorter lift queues?? Be less crowded??
Thanks
James
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz is normally very busy half term with Brits, Dutch, Belgium's and French. Ive not skied La Thuile but skied down the road in Pila. Im guessing La Thuile will be quieter
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avoriaz will be a circus. I can't imagine La Thuile will be anywhere near as busy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoriaz is super busy at half term
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JMorl, Have skied La Thuile at half term, a few years ago now, and it was very quiet, no lift queues at all, esp. if you go up the chair rather than the gondola first thing. When you go over to La Rosiere it is a bit of a shock how busy it is. It gets busier at the weekend from Turin daytrippers. Have not done Avoriaz, but do Les Carroz and GM at half term and its a zoo, I would think Avoriaz would not be any different. Only issue I have with La Thulie is if its windy it can be freezing, really very very cold.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Avoriaz for the last 4 years at half term and am going again next year. Yes, there are pinch points, but they're pretty avoidable and once you're out and about in the ski area, it's fine. No idea on La Thuile, so couldn't say how they compare, but the advantage of somewhere like Avoriaz is that you're straight on the slopes, as it's ski-in, ski-out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never faced a queue in La Thuile over half term. Haven't been to Avoriaz in half term, but have been to Morzine and would not do so again at that time of year. English half term also clashing with 2 of the French zones. @Zorrac, is right, cold can be an issue, but wrap up warm and you'll be fine. Also you can always get into a restaurant in La Thuile, whatever the time of day, for a hot drink and defrost.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trmacc wrote:
Never faced a queue in La Thuile over half term. Haven't been to Avoriaz in half term, but have been to Morzine and would not do so again at that time of year. English half term also clashing with 2 of the French zones. @Zorrac, is right, cold can be an issue, but wrap up warm and you'll be fine. Also you can always get into a restaurant in La Thuile, whatever the time of day, for a hot drink and defrost.

In fairness, I wouldn't stay in Morzine at that time of year either. We miss a lot of the starting queues, though, as we're already up the hill, so don't need those lifts snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the input
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Morzine is ok at half-term in terms of lift queues, although it is really busy outside of the Pleney lift exit at 9am and 11am with all the people waiting for lessons. You just have to avoid the TS Des Mouilles and never ski all the way down to Les Gets. Getting to Avoriaz is ok via Prodains, but the worst lift queues are always at the bottom of the town where the Tour, Stade and Arare start. So we always ski down to Grandes Combes and work our way to where we need to go from there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless you enjoy queuing it’s a no brainier at half term. La Thuile will be pretty much queue free, more snow sure and I would expect significantly cheaper. The longer journey and the possibility of a freezing wind are the downsides.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As mentioned above advantage of Avoriaz is ski in / out and crowds are thinned out as they disperse throughout the PDS. There are also two new lifts going live this season servicing Linderets area to give faster access to Mosette and the ridge to Switzerland. We were on Chatel in Feb half term starting from Pre La Joux at around 9:30 and had minimal queues to start.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JMorl, Interesting two to have narrowed the search to, quite different in many regards. Your criterion for selection is queue times. I would say, close to 100% certainty, that La Thuile will be far less crowded. In almost every other sense, Avoriaz is a better option.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Thuile, but get a decent hotel as little to do at night, (7 years ago anyhow!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was there (stayed at Le Miramonti) two years ago and one of the bars just up the road gave you food with each round of drinks ordered - each dish more substantial than the previous round’s- did not need to pay for dinner which was a result but agree with the après being quiet @twoodwar,
snow conditions
Quote:

I would say, close to 100% certainty, that La Thuile will be far less crowded. In almost every other sense, Avoriaz is a better option.

Given the misery which results from super-crowded slopes and lift queues, I would prefer not to ski than to ski in a crowded resort. If you can't enjoy a leisurely cruise, looking at the scenery rather than dicing with death, why bother?
latest report
Go for La Thuile. May be busier at the start of the work for Carnevale (?sp), but probably going to be a lot quieter than Avoriaz.
ski holidays
I love La Thuile and it's definitely a quieter resort. As someone has stated there's not a great deal to do in the evenings but there are a few really nice restaurants and a few bars. That wind can be a ***** but in terms of cruising, the reds are quite wide and relaxed and some of the blues are actually quite fun. I'm not a black slope boarder so can't comment on that but there's plenty to do and I don't think I really queued at all and I've done February and March there. Unfortunately like most in here I've not done both but it certainly reads that La Thuile will be your quieter trip.
snow conditions
@pam w, I agree but some of us are tied to school holidays, pesky kids! ( and I know you've been there and done that, plus grandkids)
snow conditions
@geoffknight, good reason to avoid Avoriaz at half term. There is no NEED to go to crowded French resorts!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy